Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Discounts - What's good % off?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Is there a good rule of thumb % wise when it comes to discounts that people use for appliances across all brands?

I know it's a broad question but 50% would be fabulous on a $10K SubZero but that isn't happening whether new or display model. So I that I won't sound naive during shopping trips.

Would like to get your opinions/experiences on what to expect.

Comments (8)

• weissman
    11 years ago

HAHAHA! Discount - good one :-) A lot of the top brands these days such as Wolf/Subzero use UMRP which is government sanctioned price fixing - so dealers are not allowed to discount at all except on floor models and discontinued models. Lesser brands do discount but you'll have to shop around to see what you can get off, and check online prices. Also, even with UMRP, appliance dealers can throw in free delivery, installation, extended warranty etc. to simulate a discount.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Floor model SubZero/Wolf is 10% off max.

Damgaged models can be discounted greater amounts.

Sometimes you run into a store that is closing so they don't care about SubZero/Wolf policies and give greater discounts to move remaining inventory.

It all depends on brand and sometimes specific model.

The Sub-Zero 700 series floor models can sometimes be had for discounts much greater than 10% because they are inferior old designes. That is the power of supply and demand overcoming UMRP.

Some brands/models are such hot sellers they dont' need to discount to move the product.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

We've gotten great discounts, up to 50%, on models which had damaged boxes. The contents were perfect. We're also gotten up to 50% off floor models which were never turned on, only put on display. Sometimes if an appliance has some cosmetic damage - a scratch or chip - the store will sell for a lot less than one that is perfect. If you're willing to live with this, you can get great deals.

Look for end of model year appliances. Some manufacturers will sell off models which are about to be discontinued at good prices. Of course, you need to check that there's nothing wrong with the model. We got our Weber gas grill when they redesigned the knobs. It's the same grill and has performed perfectly.

Cheryl

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

We are getting "contractor pricing", whatever that means. We are buying all new applainces for our new kitchen. I was told by our applaince guy to take 12% off of the list price for our price. He told me that he cannot say that he is discounting me on say a Thermador refrig but he can discount the whole package. What he meant is he cannot say he is discounting that particular brand.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

MSRP is full price.

UMRP is price after max discount allowed by manufacture or "contractor" price.

If you buy some high end appliances with a UMRP and some that are not,say a Samsung Fridge, a salesman can sell you a package where the fridge is "free" and giving you an effective discount on the premium product greater than UMRP.

• littlechloe
    11 years ago

I was priced 15% off a floor model Bluestar that is still made and $500 off a $3000 BS discontinued floor model. BS rep was there at the time so maybe if I was packaging w/other appliances it would be less thru the salesperson. The Bluestar rep made it clear he wouldn't cut a deal on ANYTHING even though I said we were planning to buy two ranges from them (48" & 36"). Seemed a tad hardcore.

• User
    11 years ago

% off means diddly. Sears (and some others) play games regularly with "regular" price that makes percentages useless. Bottom line price is what you should be focused on. 50% off a "2K" refrigerator is still more money than 25% off of a "$1300" fridge, even though it's the same exact model number.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by deeageaux (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:39

MSRP is full price.

UMRP is price after max discount allowed by manufacture or "contractor" price.

If you buy some high end appliances with a UMRP and some that are not,say a Samsung Fridge, a salesman can sell you a package where the fridge is "free" and giving you an effective discount on the premium product greater than UMRP.

Interesting strategy!