Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discounts - What's good % off?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 12:12

Is there a good rule of thumb % wise when it comes to discounts that people use for appliances across all brands?

I know it's a broad question but 50% would be fabulous on a $10K SubZero but that isn't happening whether new or display model. So I that I won't sound naive during shopping trips.

Would like to get your opinions/experiences on what to expect.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discounts - What's good % off?

HAHAHA! Discount - good one :-) A lot of the top brands these days such as Wolf/Subzero use UMRP which is government sanctioned price fixing - so dealers are not allowed to discount at all except on floor models and discontinued models. Lesser brands do discount but you'll have to shop around to see what you can get off, and check online prices. Also, even with UMRP, appliance dealers can throw in free delivery, installation, extended warranty etc. to simulate a discount.

o

Floor model SubZero/Wolf is 10% off max.

Damgaged models can be discounted greater amounts.

Sometimes you run into a store that is closing so they don't care about SubZero/Wolf policies and give greater discounts to move remaining inventory.

It all depends on brand and sometimes specific model.

The Sub-Zero 700 series floor models can sometimes be had for discounts much greater than 10% because they are inferior old designes. That is the power of supply and demand overcoming UMRP.

Some brands/models are such hot sellers they dont' need to discount to move the product.

o

We've gotten great discounts, up to 50%, on models which had damaged boxes. The contents were perfect. We're also gotten up to 50% off floor models which were never turned on, only put on display. Sometimes if an appliance has some cosmetic damage - a scratch or chip - the store will sell for a lot less than one that is perfect. If you're willing to live with this, you can get great deals.

Look for end of model year appliances. Some manufacturers will sell off models which are about to be discontinued at good prices. Of course, you need to check that there's nothing wrong with the model. We got our Weber gas grill when they redesigned the knobs. It's the same grill and has performed perfectly.

Cheryl

o

We are getting "contractor pricing", whatever that means. We are buying all new applainces for our new kitchen. I was told by our applaince guy to take 12% off of the list price for our price. He told me that he cannot say that he is discounting me on say a Thermador refrig but he can discount the whole package. What he meant is he cannot say he is discounting that particular brand.

o

MSRP is full price.

UMRP is price after max discount allowed by manufacture or "contractor" price.

If you buy some high end appliances with a UMRP and some that are not,say a Samsung Fridge, a salesman can sell you a package where the fridge is "free" and giving you an effective discount on the premium product greater than UMRP.

o

I was priced 15% off a floor model Bluestar that is still made and $500 off a $3000 BS discontinued floor model. BS rep was there at the time so maybe if I was packaging w/other appliances it would be less thru the salesperson. The Bluestar rep made it clear he wouldn't cut a deal on ANYTHING even though I said we were planning to buy two ranges from them (48" & 36"). Seemed a tad hardcore.

o

% off means diddly. Sears (and some others) play games regularly with "regular" price that makes percentages useless. Bottom line price is what you should be focused on. 50% off a "2K" refrigerator is still more money than 25% off of a "$1300" fridge, even though it's the same exact model number.

o

Posted by deeageaux (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:39

MSRP is full price.

UMRP is price after max discount allowed by manufacture or "contractor" price.

If you buy some high end appliances with a UMRP and some that are not,say a Samsung Fridge, a salesman can sell you a package where the fridge is "free" and giving you an effective discount on the premium product greater than UMRP.

Interesting strategy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here