Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela_crane

Bosch vs. Frigidaire Induction Smackdown

Pamela Crane
10 years ago

I am in the market for an all-induction 30-inch cooktop to replace my old hybrid Jenn-Air. I would like to keep the price down as I am not a real cook. The Bosch 300 gets favorable reviews here on GW, and is on sale at Lowe's for $1399.

Another option is the Frigidaire Gallery FGIC3067M, but I have not found any comments here about this particular cooktop. Plessers and Goedekers sell this for about $1030. I like its looks more than the Bosch (the cross pattern) and the hob sizes (10" 8" 7" 6") seem more useful than the Bosch's (11" 9" 2 x 6").

With the exception of some pricey models, for ALL induction cooktops, the pan base must fit about 1/2-inch +/- of the hob size. My biggest pan is a paella pan at a 10-inch base. How much do you use the 11-inch hob on your Bosch? Do you find the 6-inch ones to be too small to use much? That leaves the 9-inch one as the most used.

I think the Bosch 300 has shut-off timers but the Frigidaire does not. Timers would be nice for rice but what else do you use the timers for?

Comments (10)

• Fori
    10 years ago

I've had two induction cooktops and never ever had issues with pan size EXCEPT a 5" sauce pan would have to be very carefully placed on my 1980s Kenmore to be detected. I suspect that pan size issues are overblown. I never paid much attention, going more for putting the stinky stuff in the middle and the long cooking stuff in the back and the things that needed stirring in the front and Graniteware turkey roaster over the two burners that were closest...you get the idea. Pan size be damned, with very few exceptions.

I've never felt like I needed timers even though they sound cool. I just don't cook that precisely. I almost got the Miele when I replaced my old Kenmore because it did it ALL, but then I realized I didn't need it all and would never use it all and didn't want to read a manual. :)

Did you check out theinductionsite and compare them that way? And of course have you seen which fits your countertop hole better (if you're not replacing it)?

• Pamela Crane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting that you can "bridge" that turkey pan over 2 hobs; much angst has been expressed on this board about induction cooktops that can and cannot "bridge."

Does anyone have war stories about the Frigidaire induction cooktop? What are the differences from the more-expensive Electrolux induction cooktop, since Electrolux is the parent company? Sometimes you pay more only for the prestige name.

Good point about cutout sizing. The Bosch is likely to be a better fit once I get the old one out and measure the actual cutout.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Oh I guess I'm not supposed to mention the bridging since it's an induction no-no (I guess? I didn't read either manual.) . It's not great because the Graniteware is thin stuff so the middle won't heat well, plus it really IS a stretch since my pan isn't that big. I wouldn't do it with a solid pan, but the GW has ridges so I figured I wouldn't be trapping anything and had room to flex and I didn't know why it should be bad to do anyway. Also, if a cooktop commits suicide performing its duties, then it isn't suited for those duties and ought to be replaced anyway.

I also slide around cast iron, hellion that I am. That glass ought to be tougher than metal.

I also started a fire by putting a paper towel under a cast iron pot and heating it stupid hot to burn on some seasoning. Paper towel under soup you know you'll boil over? Good. Paper towel under iron heated to the smoke point of grapeseed oil? Less good.

• Pamela Crane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess you are ready for Hell's Kitchen, fori!

I checked The Induction Site to compare the Frigidaire to the Electrolux and the difference seems to be the layout of the hobs and the power. They are very, very similar but the Electrolux 10-in hob has a bit more oomph at 2.6 kW/3.9 kw(boost) as compared to the Frigidaire at 2.5/3.4. The 7-in. hobs also differ a bit: 1.9/2.6 Elux vs. 1.8/2.6 Frig. Overall wattage is 8.25 kW Electrolux vs. 8.05 Frigidaire.

Also, The Induction Site says the induction units are made by Electrolux.

Here is a photo of the Electrolux; it seems a lot of space is consumed by the control area. Anyone have a comment on how pots fit on this unit?

• sf7307
    10 years ago

2.6 kW/3.9 kw(boost) as compared to the Frigidaire at 2.5/3.4.

What do the two different figures mean (before and after the slash, as in 2.6/3.9)?

• Pamela Crane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assume the first number is the power in regular use and the second number, after the slash, means the power available when in "boost" mode. The idea is to get a pot boiling fast.

Note that you cannot boost all the hobs at the same time, only one per induction element. In essence, the boosted hob steals power from its sister hob.

If you read an owner's manual for just about any induction cooktop it will explain how this works. Also read The Induction Site for background on induction in general.

• Pamela Crane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assume the first number is the power in regular use and the second number, after the slash, means the power available when in "boost" mode. The idea is to get a pot boiling fast.

Note that you cannot boost all the hobs at the same time, only one per induction element. In essence, the boosted hob steals power from its sister hob.

If you read an owner's manual for just about any induction cooktop it will explain how this works. Also read The Induction Site for background on induction in general.

• jadeite
    10 years ago

I have a Thermador induction cooktop, made by BSH who also make the Bosch. The Thermador has timers on each hob which I use all the time. It gives me peace of mind to set the timer and leave it, knowing that if I forget, the cooktop will turn off. I use the timers for everything, from boiling an egg to making stock, melting chocolate or simmering a stock or stew, anything that isn't done in the few minutes I'm standing by the cooktop.

I've posted my bridging two hobs several times on this forum, pointing out that if you want to span two hobs, go ahead. The only danger is if you have both hobs at high power and run them for some time. I think you could damage the ceramic between the two where there's no sensor to shut the cooktop down in case of overheating. We use a cast iron griddle across two hobs to make pancakes. The cooktop is set to medium power and we have it on for about 15 minutes. Works perfectly.

Sorry but I know nothing about the Bosch or Frigidaire units you're considering, just reporting on the timers and ability to bridge on my cooktop.

Cheryl

• Fori
    10 years ago

I don't think either of mine had a boost (although the old one did say PowerPlus on the one hob so I pretended that was the powerful one). If they did, I never used it because there wasn't a button for it.

Do both require the same wiring?

• PRO
    Design OCD
    7 years ago

This is an older thread, but I have had the Frigidaire FGIC3067MB for a few years now. When I was shopping, I couldn't find alot of comments on it either. Here's my review.