Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan20148

Which appliances should I NOT buy used?

Susan20148
11 years ago

We are looking to remodel a vacation home that we're (probably) going to purchase. It's a big remodel and we will be ripping out the kitchen and starting fresh. Because it's the vacation home and because we are trying to keep costs as low as possible, I'm looking at buying used appliances to put in that house. Fridge, electric range, microwave hood, dishwasher, washer and dryer. I've been cruising Craigslist and, for example, someone in my neighborhood is selling a 2 year old W/D set for $500 that would cost well over $1000 brand new! Of course I'll do my homework on the particular model before I just blindly purchase.

Are there any of these that you would suggest I just suck up the cost and buy new for one reason or another? Or any suggestions for the cheapest way to buy a bunch of appliances? Thanks for the advise.

Comments (8)

• weissman
    11 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't buy used appliances - you're inheriting someone else's problems. It's true the appliances may be fine and the people have a good reason for selling them but you never know. Of course new appliances can have problems too but you can do your research and will have a warranty.

• wekick
    11 years ago

It would all be in consideration of a cost vs value or benefit vs risk. I would not buy any appliance with a computer board without a longterm warranty. From there it would depend on your ability to look at the mechanics and see if anything is wrong. Don't buy anything on the secondary market you don't know anything about. Our kids have bought appliances at auctions for $10-$30 just to have a second frig or a freezer. They were in workng condition at the auction house and they had good luck. We have seen many brand new washing machines recently that were selling for $5-$10 just because they don't wash well. I would sooner take a chance on an older Maytag or something like that, that can be fixed. You would have to know about it though.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

Some front loading washing machines require fixing brackets to be reattached to the drum before they can be moved safely.

Some fridges stop working when moved and you have to bring in a frigorista specialized technician to restart them. To minimize this risk, let the fridge coolant settle for 24 hours after moving the fridge.

For heating and blowing appliances there is less risk of a problem. But they may be filthy.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

When I saw your post I started laughing because all I could think of when I read Which appliances should I NOT buy used? was an electric tooth brush.

Basically anything (execpt a tooth brush) less than 5 years old for the right price would be ok.

• wekick
    11 years ago

Posted by jakvis (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:40

Basically anything (execpt a tooth brush) less than 5 years old for the right price would be ok.

Anything less than 5 years old would really scare me.

• Susan20148
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh man... and I just got a REALLY good deal on a used toothbrush! LOL

Thanks for the giggle!

• jakvis
    11 years ago

LOL - Clarification...Appliances under 5 years old...