Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatorsmom_gw

Why does Thermador have such a bad reputation...

Gatorsmom
11 years ago

...if Bosch, who is made by the same company Siemens, has such a good reputation? The Manager of the Service department at the local appliance store swears they are really the same appliances. He's been doing repairs for 50 years and says they are both good product lines. But I find that Thermadors are not widely recommended here though Bosch is a favorite.

Thoughts?

Comments (17)

• joc6820
    11 years ago

I have a whole kitchen full of Thermador in new home. So far, early on, like 'em a lot. Good build quality, good design, good warranty, good local service. With the promo's they run, I don't think you can do better, or, I didn't think I could do better. Time will tell.....

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

They are bad? Source?
    We're Thermador-ing our new build.

• Emilner
    11 years ago

I have seen very few negative reviews on the Therm columns. I have two 30" columns and they are awesome! I could not stand my old 36" Therm range though....

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

It seems every brand has lots of negative reviews. We are also going with an all Thermador kitchen. 42" fridge, 6-burner range top, double ovens, 2 dishwashers, vent-a-hood, the works. The package deals, prices, looks and functions are all pieces of the puzzle that led us to choose Thermador.

Please post pictures of your kitchens once finishes, I'd love to seem it!

• momx9
    11 years ago

I got the same impression, that Thermador wasn't as highly rated, at least here, for reliability reason.

Trying to pick out double or two single wall ovens and having a dickins of a time making a decision, so I've been reading every single post on ovens that I can find. LOL

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Refrigerator columns and dishwashers are almost exactly the same. Made in the same factory.

Wall ovens and ranges are different designs made in different factories.

Thermador ovens and ranges still made in their old Tennessee factory before the Bosch-Siemens buyout.

Most people will tell you Thermador are good dishwashers but Bosch is the better buy since they are cheaper and almost identical.

Thermador had a problems with their ovens a few years ago. Thermador reps say problem is fixed,many people think there has not been enough feedback in the last year or so to confirm.

As far as sealed burners go I like Thermador star burners.

And they have one of the better induction cooktops out there,essentially the same top of the line stuff from Gaggenau(also owned by Bosch-Siemens).

• dianeharlan
    9 years ago

I have a Thermador Pro 6-burner range and I LOVE it. I have a 30" wall oven (mounted under the counter) and I love it, as well, for it cooks everything evenly without having to turn anything. I would advise everyone, though, to avoid the self-cleaning feature on any oven. Eventually, it will fry the motherboard...it's just a matter of time.

I've had both for 5 years so far, and the only problem I ever had with either was after a self-cleaning cycle (thankfully, under warrantee) and the clock stopped working.

• User
    9 years ago

Many years ago they had a slew of problems with their pro ranges and their ovens.

We had two instances of ovens we spec'd or designed for that broke within six months of install.

Additionally, their simmer function on gas stoves drives some people batty because it clicks on and off constantly to deliver a low enough setting.

Their fridges both built in and the freedom collection have been solid performers from day one.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

Most of their products are very good. I would stay away from the side by side fridges as those are many by kitchenmaid/whirlpool and do not have dual compressors or evaporators.

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Those wp/KA built ins are a pretty solid platform with a good reliability record.

I'm no fan of KA in general, and those units may or may not represent a good value, but that is something much different than " avoid them" though.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

I have no problem with WP/KA in general, but those specific units are missing the dual compressor design which almost all other high end fridges have. I actually really like the new KA french door fridges, and am between those and the Thermador columns (I prefer french doors, wife prefers s/s)

• Christina and John
    2 years ago

Thermador is garbage. We have had nothing but problems with our PRL304GH stove. Getting a person to come out a service it is next to impossible. I would avoid these. We are going to dump it and go with a more mainstream model that is repairable.

• anna_682
    2 years ago

Hmmm...we just ordered a Thermador dishwasher yesterday and it is being delivered in a week.

The range and microwave will come in May.

• alwaysremodeling
    last year

In my experience, Thermador appliances are overpriced and unreliable. We remodeled our kitchen in late 2015 with a Thermador all-in-one Convection/Microwave, Professional Oven and Warming Drawer, a 36 inch gas stove with chimney exhaust fan, and dishwasher. Two years later, I had to buy a new motor for the exhaust fan which cost over $500. A couple of years after that, one of the burners became difficult to light. Then, a year ago, the convection microwave stopped working. The repairmen wasn't sure whether the fix would require just one part for over $300 or require a second part for over $500 as well. A replacement microwave was over $2000 with a 1 year wait. We decided to try the fix with the one part for $300+. It worked for several months, then died again. While the repairman was assessing our microwave issue, he said fixing the burner on our stove would require taking the entire cooktop apart which would be very expensive. Now, another burner has become difficult to light. And, over the holidays last year, the oven stopped maintaining a consistent temperature. The temperature varies by as much as 100 degrees. Can't imagine what it will cost to repair it. I sent a letter to Thermador two weeks ago to see what they might do about all of this, but I haven't heard anything back. We decided to buy a countertop microwave from GE rather than waste any more on repairing or replacing the built-in Thermador microwave.

I will never buy another Thermador product and would advise anyone to avoid it. Thermador appliances are expensive, unreliable, and expensive to repair.

• wdccruise
    last year

Thermador is not an independent company but rather a brand, together with Bosch and Gaggenau, of BSH. Some similar appliances are sold under more than one brand and price point so one should be careful in selecting appliances from Thermador or Gaggenau as there may be a similar and lower-priced Bosch appliance.* Based on CR subscriber surveys one cannot conclude that appliances of various types are equally reliability, though some brands offer better quality appliances across the board than others. Remember too one shouldn't draw conclusions regarding the reliability of new models based on old ones.

*e.g., compare Bosch B36CT80SNS ($3150) and Thermador T36FT810NS ($5000)

• christy darden
    last year

I fervently suggest you do not purchase a dual fuel Thermador range. I spent $18,000 on a pro range. One day I had hot cocoa boil over onto the induction cooktop. It leaked into the internal mechanism and short circuited the entire unit. They sent out a repair person who said it was my fault and not covered under warranty and it would be $4000 to repair . Thermador has terrible customer service and even worse product reliability. Buyer beware