Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninadse

sz/wolf msrp/umrp

HOMESWEETHOME1
9 years ago

Through some digging, I found a retailer's price list that includes both MSRP and UMRP for all SZ and Wolf appliances. The list is two years old, so you'd have to add a few hundred dollars to the amounts in order to get current pricing, but most of the models are the same ones available today and I imagine that the margins between MSRP and UMRP are the same.

I'm happy to post it here in the event that anyone would find it useful. As most of you know, manufacturers who espouse the UMRP concept make it almost impossible for a consumer to get any kind of deal below that amount, but at least you'll be aware of what the "basement" is in terms of the price the dealer is willing to give you.

I found it surprising how little profit margin there is on these appliances for the dealer. I guess they make their change on selling packages and in volume.

Comments (6)

• chazas
    9 years ago

I've seen this too, and found it very useful. I'm not sure it provides any information about dealer profit margins, though. I'm sure dealer cost is well below UMRP.

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heh - as usual, I managed to smash two disparate thoughts together. The comment about the profit margin being small wasn't the result of the difference between the retail prices on that list, but the result of a blog written by an appliance retailer who was comparing the profit differences between brick-and-mortar stores and online stores. He said that the profit margins were so skinny to begin with that it was no surprise so many independent b&m dealers were closing up shop, because between online and large chain retailers, there was almost zero chance a small retailer could sell enough to keep the lights on. I'm guessing that something like UMRP makes it even more challenging for those independents.

• xedos
    9 years ago

the margin IS about 10%.

I don't think UMRP make it harder or easier for a dealer. It simply levels the playing field a bit , but mostly it's a mechanism for manufacturers to maintain control over their brand / product / experience.

Instead of viewing it as an attempt at gouging wallets, we should think of it more like copyright and trademark protection.

Part of the reason all of you want mieles and sub zeros and pradas and manolos is because those BRANDS have been built on the cornerstones of great design, high quality materials , service , and the buying experience.

They don't get to keep that position and keep you WANTing the stuff by selling them at every flea market stall and website in between for going outa business prices. A lot of these are family run companies that are looking to maintain the business for future generations. They are usually not interested in explosive growth , dressing the balance sheets , and pumping the stock to sell out so they can move on the the next venture/brand/ hot item. You know - the Wall St. shuffle , right ?

Much of this is our fault. We seemingly want the latest & greatest, and we what it now , for a deal (25% less than advertised - even if that is the real selling price).

That is not conducive to small scale local business. The only successful way to do that is a large orginization - which is not so good at delivering personal, informative , and low priced experience.

• bulldinkie
    9 years ago

The salesman told us he cant go below a certain amount because if they do the company will take away their priveleges to sell wolf stoves.

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

I would love to see the list. Am in the process of buying wolf subzero and would love to see how competitive my price is.

• Terrace1919
    9 years ago

These are the UMRP lists I was able to dig up in the past couple weeks, probably the same ones OP is referring to. In my experience, the price you get quoted from any dealer is going to be UMRP and not a penny higher or lower. Reasoning is if they go higher, they aren't competitive, and if they go lower, the brand gets pulled. However, they can absolutely sweeten the deal if you buy other products without UMRP restrictions. For example, buying a Wolf kitchen package, but getting other appliances free or extremely discounted. These would need to be on a separate invoice, but could include plumbing fixtures (sink, toilet, faucets) or maybe a Bosch dishwasher. This will be your only leverage if you're trying to shop retailers against each other. Good luck!

http://www.nancywilsonfolkart.com/SZIntIceBlast/20122013Sub_WolfProductUMRPPricing.xls.pdf

http://wmsdist.co/kitchenblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/092412-Wolf-Pricesheet-102012.pdf