Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

samsung refrigerators - rfg237aa vs rf23hcedbsr

JHZR2
9 years ago

Hello,

Trying to figure out a FD bottom freezer, CD refrigerator to buy. There is an LG product that is the largest one out there that Ive seen in CD (LFX25991), but there seems to be a ton of bad reviews on it, though it looks really nice and has some flashy features.

Say what you will about CR, I may or may not trust it, but they show Samsung being slightly better than LG in terms of reliability, so we are scouting out their models. The LG has an actual line item in the CR rankings to go off of, but the samsung model available to us, RF23HCEDBSR, is not listed by CR. However, RFG237AA IS listed.

That model, RFG237AA, is also the poorest ranked one on the list!

So my greatest fundamental question is, does anyone know if there IS a true and practical difference between the RFG237AA and the RF23HCEDBSR? Are they different models, or really the same innards with two different model numbers?

CR seems to have dinged it worst for high energy use. It gets a full black circle for that, and the claim is that it will use $98/year in electricity (while the highest rated units, including from LG, Samsung, etc. use around $50.

But, if I go to websites to pull the Energy Guide kWh rating, I see different results.

The energy guide for the RFG237AA shows 537 kWh/yr.

http://files2.appliancesconnection.com/attachments/D51ad1e839b641.pdf

The energy guide for the RF23 model shows 699 kWh (!)

http://hhgregg.scene7.com/is/content/hhgregg/RF23HCEDBSRpdf

HUH??!?!?!?

So CR says that the RFG237AA model is poor on electricity, yet the government rates the other model WORSE in consumption?

These differences in values, given that the RF23HCEDBSR has slightly different volume and way different energy rating, imply to me that the refrigerators are different. How I don't really know.

But does anyone know if they really are? Is CR incorrect in their energy rating for the 237AA model? What could have happened that the 237AA model is ranked to poor, and what would make the energy guide ratings for the other model show even higher consumption?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)