Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chencita

30" gas range: Capital Precision or NXR?

chencita
10 years ago

Help! So far, I've narrowed down my 30" range search to the Capital Precision for $3000 (which I've seen) and the NXR for $2000 (which I haven't seen, I'd get a center grate too). I'm open to other brands but want sealed burners (so not Capital Cuilinarian or Blue Star). The grates were too high for me on the American Range.

Usual usage is daily cooking with one or two burners, some baking, and bigger productions using all four burners a few times a year.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

So, which Capital Precision are you getting for $3k? I'm guessing that it will be one of the more basic manual clean-oven models which will be sans rotissiere, 25k-btu power-wok center burner, and other such features. (BTW, where are you finding a $3k price? I thought the low-priced Precisions were all around $3500 or so.)

Comparing those Precisions to the NXR:

(a) NXR has dual-stacked 15k-btu full range sealed burners while the CP has either 15k or 19k btu capped, single stack burners. (I've seen both figures listed for Precisions, so don't know which is the spec for the stove you are considering.) NXR may simmer at very low heat a little better. Both will be best suited for larger pans for high heat cooking. The Precision may be less adept at working with smaller pans because the flame spread will likely be wider. Neither will be suitable if you need to melt lead in a 3" diameter steel measuring cup or if you favorite coffee device is one of those tiny Bialetti "Moka" pots.

(b) The Precision ovens are a little-bit bigger than the NXR ovens (4.4 cu. ft. usable capacity vs. 4.2 cu. ft. usable capcity). I've seen ads claiming that the oven in 30" Precision range will hold a full size sheet pan (18" x 26"). Have not seen an actual Precision stove and thus have not verified this. Do you regularly make very large sheet cakes? I think I read somewhere that the Precision comes with 3 oven racks versus two for the NXR

(c) Previsions are assembled in the US by Capital with an unknown mix of US sourced parts. ("Unknown" meaning that I do not know. Not suggesting that Capital is doing anything shady.) The NXR is assembled in China using various recognized components, Some people will feel patriotic buying the Precision.

As for other brands to consider: have you looked at the GE Cafe gas and/or dual fuel models?

• chencita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, JWVideo! I gather that you have an NXR. Did you ever consider the Precision?

The smallest pan I use is an 8" omelet pan, only once a week. We have a GE Cafe but get to start over since we are moving. I hate the back burners on the GE Cafe, which are uselessly weak, maybe 8K or so. 15K+ BTU on all four burners seem like enough (would 19K make a difference on a daily basis?). I wouldn't need three oven racks, and the oven size seems enough for both. I saw some threads that make me wonder about hot oven doors. Is that a serious concern with either of these?

I don't need it to be American-made or -marketed, mostly care about good construction and materials, reasonable cleanup, reliability, and a good service record. The model with the power wok would be $3600, but I've mostly ruled that out. The prices are probably for manual clean models, from a reputable local store. I never used self-cleaning features even when I had them so I hadn't thought to care...should I? Ditto for rotisserie, which I've never had.

If the price difference was larger, the choice would be easier, but 3K is within budget. Any more thoughts?

Thanks!

• whit461
    10 years ago

I have better pictures on my iPad at home. But we love our GE Monogram DF 30". Much different from your Café model, and maybe beyond what you wanted to spend. But all 4 burners are sealed, high 18K btu and super low simmer on all 4. JWVIDEO has excellent replies on ranges and ovens, and is a great resource and sounding board.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Thank you Whitt for the compliments. I got a lot of helpful info here when I had to buy appliances --- last year and a decade or so ago --- , so I try to contribute back.

mossphl:

Yes, I do have an NXR and have participated in numbers of threads discussing them. The NXR discussions have some fanboy rehtoric but generally are pretty calm and straightforward. Lots of info about reliability, cleaning, use, etc. If you haven't been through them all, google "gardenweb + NXR" and see what you get.

Did I consider Precisions? Not really, When I unexpectedly had to buy a stove last year, my max budget was around $2k and everything Capital was way above that. Looked briefly at a 30" GE Monogram like Whitt has, and it seemed to be a pretty good stove but even floor models cost way over my budget.

Actually, I was mostly looking at induction stoves (mainly the GE freestanding PHB925 and Samsung NE597NOPBSR. Almost bought one of them but the NXR seemed like a slightly better stove for me for what and how I cook and where I live. Also looked at a floor-model GE Cafe dual fuel which I liked -- wimpy rear burners notwithstanding --- but bidding took the price way beyond my budget.

Anyway, I have a couple of 8" NS frypans that I use pretty regularly with my NXRs. I also make oatmeal on the NXR in a 5.5" diameter saucepan. As indiicated above, no problems using pans of that size on the NXR unless you need to get teensy pans above 650F.

As for 15k versus 19-kBtu sealed burners, it wouldn't make much difference to me. YMMV, but, for me, the 19k BTU burners on a Precision range might boil a large pot of water a little faster than with the NXR but I'm not sure if it would be appreciably fast enough to matter for me. Not $900 to $1500 'better' for me, was what I thought.

The Precision's burner design looks a lot like the one GE uses so it would probably be a lot like the 17k left front burner on your GE Cafe. Haven't found any specs on burner diameter, though, so this is just a guess. Here's something you can try for comparison sake. Using a 10" diameter stock pot on my NXR, it takes roughly 14 minutes 50 seconds to get 6 quarts of 65F water to 200F on my NXR. (I'm at close to 6000 feet altitude, so that is boiling at my altitude). Can you try that with the 17k-btu burner on your GE? That may give you a rough idea of how much an extra 2k btu would make and whether its enough to be a factor for you.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 12:01