Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dstoll_gw

Wall Oven Help

dstoll
11 years ago

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but have been reading it for quite awhile. Trying to decide on 30" true convection wall ovens for a new home.

I do lots of baking from scratch and lots of cooking in general

Going crazy with this-2 major questions:

1) I originally looked at and liked the Kitchenaid combination wall oven and micro/convect/broiler. Concerned about the huge amount of negative reports on KA on this site (and elsewhere). I know that most of these reports are from units purchased years ago-any new owners out there with an opinion?

I would prefer to have only one 30" oven, if I could find a combo convect/micro thatwould work for me. I have looked at the Ge Advantium, but in the wall unit (unless you get the 220 model), there is no wire rack, only a circular one-limits it in my opinion.

2) the other option is a dbl wall oven and countertop micro, or the Ge spacemaker micro that could be built-in to cabinet. Any input on the GE profile ovens? I recently had one, long pre-heat time and doesn't bake very evenly, but never had (11 yrs) a service problem with it.

Sorry for the long post, as you can see, I am very confused.

I also see that many of you like your Electroluxes, so also another possibility.

In summary, I think I really want the KA combo, but can't seem to find any current user reviews, so not sure.

If not KA, then Electrolux over GE Profile?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)

• jbart
    11 years ago

Easy call to me. Electrolux. Pricier than most mainstream brands, but looks and works great and has tons of features. Love the rolling racks, too. I chose Electrolux over KA after ruling out most other brands fairly quickly.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I picked Elux, too. I went to the store and measured how far the racks extended and how big the interiors were. That, in conjunction with the recs on this forum and elsewhere, lead me to choose Elux, and I've had no regrets. It makes Perfect Turkeys!

• cj47
    11 years ago

Electrolux here, too--I've posted many times about them, specific likes and etc. I've had them for going on two years and still very pleased with the performance.

And yes, the Perfect Turkey button really does work well.

Cj

• chas045
    11 years ago

dstoll; perhaps you have seen my earlier posts, and I see that you are asking to hear from newer ka users, but in case you missed them or need the update, here it is. I have been using the specific ka double unit that you have looked at for exactly 5 years without any problems. I was certainly concerned about the potential self clean fuze issue and only used it three times without a failure. Stuff doesn't seem to stick hard to these modern ovens, so the cleanings were mostly for testing anyway. If I were to self clean in the future, I would make sure that the bottom trim piece was either removed or left loose. It is supposed to be a vent but it is not well designed to let cooling air in from the bottom. I had not found that piece in the packing so it was not attached during any of the above cleanings.

The oven works well for me. You mentioned only wanting one 30" oven. I assume you remember that the micro convection chamber is smaller. My guess is that any other micro unit would be at least somewhat smaller so that wouldn't be an issue. Anyway the small micro/convect is great for getting up to temp quickly and you can bake a pie or A loaf of bread in it. Oh, you did mention the broiler and I should point out that it is a ceramic heating unit, and it has never been obvious that it provides dramatic browning effects. If I were planning to quickly brown something, I would fire up the regular oven broiler for a couple of minutes instead.

My only concern is the general use of two ovens in one unit which applies to any manufacturer. If you have a very expensive repair or catistrophic failure, you have to replace everything.

• dstoll
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to all who responded.