Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe628

GE induction slide in

joe628
11 years ago

Finally, I can see the light at the end of a long tunnel. Kitchen/dining room is getting second coat of j.c today. We have already purchased a GE slide in induction. I was hoping any owners of the stove or the free standing model could let me know what cookware they are using. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

We just bought a GE induction a month ago. I bought a nice set of Emerilware by All Clad. Got it at Macy's but they also have them at Bed Bath and Beyond and Belk's.

There is a nice set that starts with a B (french name, I think) at Macy's BUT, it cannot go in the oven at above like 200 degrees. I think it is because of the handles.
    So if you want to go from stove to oven, don't get it. We also made that mistake.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Based on a lot of research I did on this site (I've attached just one of the threads below), I started with the Tramontina TriPly Clad 10 piece set from Walmart online. It was a couple of hundred dollars for the whole thing, and it was recommended by Cook's Illustrated. It looks like All Clad, and it's very heavy. Then I put a magnet in my purse and shopped around. I found some Fissler pots at Marshall's and Wolfgang Puck at TJ Maxx. I got non-stick skillets from Italy at TJ Maxx, and a nice big non-stick Oneida skillet at BB&B. I love them all.

Since induction is more common in Europe, often the European brands are induction capable and are marked as such. They are affordable at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, probably Home Goods, too, since I think it's the same company. Tuesday Morning is another source, although their prices weren't as good in my area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina thread

• joe628
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. I've read good things about Emerilware and Tramontina. Has anyone had any luck w/ Ikea's favorit line?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I have several Ikea Favorit induction pots and pans, and like them well enough. Sturdy and well-made (in Vietnam, IIRC). Markings on the inside show liters and quarts/cups; on the small pot I use the most, these have faded from washing, but its still readable. They work fine and are at a good price, though.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

I have the Tramontina. They are pretty good, except for one thing: pouring. The pots do not have a good non-drip edge for pouring. For that reason, I would not buy them again.

I also have the Demeyere Industry5 Covered Saute Pan, 3 qt. from Sur la Table, bought on promotion for about $79, and it is just great. No way I would pay the regular price on a full set of that, though.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

attofarad is right about the tramontina not pouring. I never thought about it because I've never had pots with pour spouts. I think some of the Emerilware at BB&B might have pour spouts.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

Emerilware has pour spouts on some pots and lids that have strainers. The only drawback that I have found with my set is that I have to use Bar Keepers Friend on them each time I clean them or I get the white spots or rainbow color dulling the finish. Its not a problem except the stuff stinks like all get out and is an added step. But they do clean up nice. I used to use Brillo pads on my old set of Stainless Steel but these say not to use steel wool.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

You don't have to have pour spouts, if the cookware has good non-drip edges. The Cuisinart Multiclad looks good -- there were some negative reviews about the larger Saute Pan warping, which is really the only thing that put me off that set -- apparently a fairly common problem across other brands too.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I bought a Sitram set at Costco when I got my cooktop. I added a Kuhn pressure cooker and I have a few Lodge and La Creuset pieces and a Williams and Sonoma stockpot/pasta insert. I sometimes make coffee with a moka pot whose brand is lost although it conveniently says"induction" on the bottom.