Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prestonbeary

Bertazzoni - problems with 30' All Gas Range

prestonbeary
14 years ago

Having lots of problems with our Bertazzoni 30" all gas range. After install we've had a slew of issues and things going wrong. Actually new problems keep happening and after 3 different service companies have come out - no one has come close to fixing even one issue.

The first two service companies Berta sent out had never even seen this brand of range before. The third company has also not worked on a Berta before but was willing to call tech support and work with us. He left yesterday telling us it has too many problems to fix and we might as well start over with a new range. He said he would have to completely dismantle the range and essentally it's a lemon! He told me to buy a Wolf.

At this point we have called the kitchen shop where we purchased and told them no more wasting our time on this (we've already invested over 10 hours on the phone or waiting home for service techs) range - we don't want it anymore. They said they will see what they can do and will call us back.

If anyone is interested in the list of issues we are having here goes:

The range is unstable / legs are wobbly - service tech was supposed to install anti-tip and anti-vibration but did not.

The left front inner burner sounds like a blow torch on lowest setting

The oven door hinges are not working properly, the oven door gets out of whack when opened and closed. Berta sent new hinges but the third tech said they were not the right ones?

The 3 continouous grates are not level. Pans are tipping off them and I amost burnt myself the other day while cooking when the hot pan tipped.

The oven fan starts a loud roar after the oven is on for approx 30 min. Sounds like a small jet engine!

I'm exhausted and not really sure I want another Berta in my house. I have only run the oven 3 times and I can tell you my husband is the only one who can even light the thing. It's a bit complicated and I still don't have it down pat. I put a lot into researching my decision to purchase the Berta and I'm so disappointed.

Comments (15)

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update...

Vendor we purchased the unit from is now heavily involved in the issue and has said they really want us to be happy with the purchase.

Berazzoni is not able to replace the unit becuase although we've had 3 repairmen out, only one tried to fix. The other 2 just came inside and left once they saw the unit.

So...Berta say's they need a repairman to say it's not fixable (maybe it is and maybe it isn't) before we can look at a replacement.

New repairman is scheduled for Thurs of this week. We have been assured by vendor that this person has actually seen a Berta before and (gasp!) worked on a unit as well!

I'm hopefull...to be continued

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Ohmigosh, you are having some really bad luck with this! Hope the next tech confirms that you are due a replacement, sure sounds like you should be eligible for one. Good luck and keep us posted here at GW!

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the tech came and he was more knowledgable than anyone else we've had out thus far.

He did replace the hinges on the door but the door still pops out of place with any slight upward pressure while closing. He called tech support and they could not tell him if this was normal.

He tried to install the anti-vibration device for the fan - this was intended to reduce the loud noise the oven fan makes after being on for approx 15-20 min. After taking the top off the unit, he saw that the same device was already installed. So, that was unfixable. He did get to hear the fan noise but could not diagnose the source. He said maybe a new fan??

The left front burner going out, he said maybe we need a new burner - not sure?

Showed him how the grates are unlevel/warped. The pans is very unsteady and he said this was definately not normal. I will need new grates - but will they be the same??

Overall, we have now spent another several hours dealing with issues. My husband called the vendor we purchased from, they said they will call Berta about a replacement. Instead of a call back from the vendor, Berta calls my husband and tells him this can all be fixed and Berta will most likely not authorize a replacement.

He then goes on the tell my husband that since berta is an Italian company they use the ranges differently than Americans and we Americans don't really understand how to use the units. What? Then why do you sell to Americans???

Now it's on hold until next week due to the holiday.

I'm thinking of disputing the charge with Discover and trying to return the unit that way.

• joycedc
    14 years ago

I would totally dispute the cost with Discover. I have a Berta and have never had any of the problems you have run into. Sounds to me like you got a lemon. if you are in the DC/MD/VA area, I'd be glad to give you the info on the people who installed my Berta.

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the latest... not what I had hoped.

Husband called the vendor (where we purchased the Berta) after no call this morning. Keeping in mind the salesman at the vendor promised to follow-up today.

Person who answered the phone said salesman was there, "Oh, I see him standing across the way, who is calling?" After husband told him his name, he came back and said this salesman was in a meeting. Left a VM and no call back at all today.

Have a strong feeling he's now avoiding us???

Any advice from other Gwers who have had problems with appliances soon after purchase?

This has caused us so much stress.

Thanks for listening.

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am now in the process of disputing the charge with Visa (got confused thinking I used Discover - but it was actually Visa).

The retailer is not willing to help and Berta is not either. Berta said we are unwilling to let them fix the unit. Not true when we've allowed 4 service companies to come out to the house and "attempt" to fix. I cannot afford to waste any more time - or take any more time off work for this.

This has become quite a nightmare. I'll update the post with more info when I can as I want everyone to know what kind of company Berta is based upon their actions. Very disappointing.

• prestonbeary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update: I have filed a charge back with my credit card company (Visa). I had to write a letter detailing everything we went through and all the attepmts we made to get a resolution.

Also had to get a letter from a service company that had tried to repair the stove stating their opinion on this unit.

Faxed all that info to them and they did issue a charge back to the vendor. But, now vendor has 45days to dispute this so we'll see what happens.

We have not heard from the vendor at all.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Folks probably would like to know the name of the vendor, so they can be crossed off the list.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

Thank you for the update!

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I love our Italian chef friends, but buy a machine made by them? No way! When I graduated w/MBA, my husband gave me a used Ferrari. Her name was Lola and she loved her mechanic. We put his kid through college with that car! I've received a booster shot that allows me to look at Ferraris without ever wanting another. It worked! No Alpha, no Ferrari, no Italian machine. Only German and Japanese. It's easier to sleep at night knowing the machine will work.

• ZsuR
    11 years ago

Hi - I have a 30 Four-Burner Gas Range XE. It is great - except the oven heat. The fan blows the heat out so much, I cannot stand close to the oven! The kitchen temperature is too much even with the air-conditioning on! Please advise! Thanks you.

• Elaine J
    7 years ago

I've had my Berta installed for 15 months. The thermostat on the oven gets fixed then the broiler doesn't work, it has been one part after another replaced for 15 months. They give me the same story...it's fixable. I no longer have the visa used so wish me luck. I agree with the ge cafe! Maybe figidaire professional

• stacy bezmarevich
    3 years ago

I purchased this Bertazzoni range less than four years ago. The door just randomly fell off. I contacted their “customer service” and they informed me that they only have a two year warranty. Obviously this is a production issue. The man i spoke to was well aware of this issue and didn’t even allow to to finish explaining the issue. His reply made it seem like this was an often occurrence. When I asked him how to fix the door so I can have Thanksgiving he told me that he couldn’t tell me how to fix it for liability reasons?! Are you kidding me?

Now it’s Thanksgiving next week and I can’t find anyone to fix before then. I would not suggest purchasing from this company.

Horrible quality and customer service.

• stacy bezmarevich
    3 years ago

It’s a faulty hinge on the door. Have read several reviews while trying to resolve