Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heimert

hood insert/liner question

heimert
16 years ago

We're considering using a hood insert/liner instead of an actual hood, with an external blower (either way). Looking at the insert/liners, they all seem to have a fairly small depth (18 inches or less). Yet the recommendation for most of the "pro" ranges around here is to get 24 inches, if not 27 inches.

Does the insert/liner have smaller measurements than the actual hood will have? In other words, if I build a 42x27 hood over by 36" range, will an insert/liner that measures something like 34x18 do the job?

Comment (1)

• blindstar
    16 years ago

I have been talking to Prestige about this issue. If I understand correctly, the recommended approach is to mount the hood liner in an inverted pan. This pan is fabricated from stainless steel and is part of the structure that houses the liner. Think of a rectangular cake pan turned upside down with the liner mounted on the bottom of the pan. Prestige recommends that the bottom of the liner be mounted 8" above the bottom lip of the pan (i.e. an 8" deep pan). Assuming that you have adequate airflow you can easily extend the capture are to cover your burners.