Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryanbm

liebherr fridges - don't buy!

bryanbm
13 years ago

NEVER BUY ONE - they look great but they have a huge problem - the doors appear closed but they may not have sealed tightly. A faint buzzer will come on BUT ONLY WHEN the fridge temp has increased beyond safety limits. By then it is usually the middle of the night. In the morning when you come into the kitchen and finally hear the buzzer, it's too late to do anything except empty the fridge, throw out a lot of stuff, wipe away all the frost and wait 24 hours until the fridge is back to the right temperatures.

Comments (33)

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Interesting.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

bryanbm, if I had time I'd go read the Liebherr manual and post what it says about its beeper noise. Maybe you can program it to be louder. I would call Liebherr. Then I might agree with you. Maybe. Meanwhile, I'll thank Sara here and in the other thread too.

I can appreciate Your Frustration but I have no indication yet that this is a problem for all Liebherr.

Don't start a brand new thread to rebut anyone.

• rcvt
    13 years ago

I love my Liebherr (30" freestanding). It's energy efficient, quiet, and perfectly-sized for my tiny kitchen. I don't find it difficult or problematic at all to make sure that the door is closed correctly.

rc

• joba4257
    13 years ago

What is the model number of your fridge?

• yoyopa
    13 years ago

I have a built-in 30" Liebherr. I've had it for a little over a year. First, the ice maker malfunctioned. It took a few service calls to fix it. Now a short time later a wall of ice appeared on the back wall of the freezer. The temp rose suddenly and the alarm went off. Probably the ice maker again but the Liebherr rep. Jerry, insisted it was a panel - how interesting that conclusion was reached before anyone looked at it - is it because he doesn't want to admit that once again the ice maker is malfunctioning? That he wants to run the warranty time? I want a new unit - one without an ice maker. But Jerry says that won't happen. They'll fix this one. Is this the customer service one should accept from an appliance that costs $5,000? I have a Sunbeam in the basement that hasn't presented one problem in the years I've had it. It cost less than $400. Should my experience taint the reputation of the entire brand? Maybe all Liebherrs aren't defective but when one is, one should get better customer service than what I am getting. I've read many blogs that address problems others have experienced with the Liebherr freezer. It's a wonder that there isn't a class action. But I'll wait to see what Liebherr does to remedy this situation. I don't think getting a new unit (sans ice maker, which is cheaper) is an unreasonable request. Two malfunctions in this short a time is too many for such an expensive item that is supposed to be so well engineered. To all potential buyers, I would be wary of this product - if I am proven wrong about their customer service and that they stand behind their product and, more importantly, their customers' satisfaction, I'll report back.

• yoyopa
    13 years ago

I have a built-in 30" Liebherr. I've had it for a little over a year. First, the ice maker malfunctioned. It took a few service calls to fix it. Now a short time later a wall of ice appeared on the back wall of the freezer. The temp rose suddenly and the alarm went off. I adjusted it but it happened again. Ice Maker is off and I can't get a service call until 8/23. Probably the ice maker again but the Liebherr rep. Jerry, insisted it was a control panel problem - how interesting that conclusion was reached before anyone looked at it - is it because he doesn't want to admit that once again the ice maker is malfunctioning? That he wants to run the warranty time? It doesn't matter what the problem is, it's that there is a problem(s) with such an expensive refrigerator. I want a new unit - one without an ice maker. Actually, I wish I could trade for another brand but I doubt that will happen. However, Jerry says that won't a replacement won't happen. They'll fix this one. Is this the customer service one should accept from an appliance that costs $5,000? I have a Sunbeam in the basement that hasn't presented one problem in the years I've had it. It cost less than $400. Should my experience taint the reputation of the entire brand? Maybe all Liebherrs aren't defective but when one is, one should get better customer service than what I am getting. I've read many blogs (the Alternative Consumer, e.g.,) that address problems others have experienced with the Liebherr freezer(from 2007 through to the present - wish I had seen prior to buying). It's a wonder that there isn't a class action out there. But I'll wait to see what Liebherr does to remedy this situation. I don't think getting a new unit (sans ice maker, which is a less expensive model) is an unreasonable request. Two malfunctions in this short a time is too many for such an expensive item that is supposed to be so well engineered. To all potential buyers, I would be wary of this product - if I am proven wrong about their customer service and that they stand behind their product and, more importantly, their customers' satisfaction, I'll report back.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Just guessing being as I'm not familiar with Liebherr, but a "wall of ice" on rear of the freezer section along with a temperature increase is likely a defrost problem, not an ice maker problem.

• yoyopa
    13 years ago

Perhaps it is. But still, that means two separate components malfunctioned on a very expensive product in a very short period of time. What does that say about the product? If you were the owner, would you have confidence in that particular unit? Or would you want a new one - especially if you're assured that the product is a good one and that the experience that you're experiencing is the exception and not the rule?

• yoyopa
    13 years ago

The service technician just left. Now it's the evaporator detector so he'll have to return. I asked if he serviced a lot of this make. He stated recently he had quite a few because of freezer issues/problems. Liebherr is definitely on a downward slope. Buyer Beware. And to make matters worse, their customer service skills are non-existent. Again, I will post after the fix and keep everyone posted afterwards.

• yoyopa
    13 years ago

The service technician returned and addressed the evaporator detector issue (hopefully). I must say that he was professional and informative (kudos to Gerhard's where i bought the Liebherr whom he works for). I have seen in numerous places (in addition to here)where Liebherr customers are complaining about freezer issues. I will see what happens with this 'fix.' I am still very wary of this product and to assist with anyone else avoid having to go through what I've gone through with this product, I'll give an update periodically.

• Vallgal
    13 years ago

I have had so many problems with my double unit 48" Liebherr refridgerator and freezer/ice maker that I would NEVER recommend that anyone purchase this appliance, regardless of how energy "efficient" it is. The first refridgerator unit I had, developed huge puddles on all the shelves. Jerry, the service advisor in Arizona at their US "service center", told me that this was because nothing could be allowed to TOUCH the rear wall of the unit. I was dumbfounded. Who uses a refridgerator in which items never touch the rear wall??? After a great deal of haggling and service calls, the local appliance distributor grudgingly agreed to replace the unit with a model that had a false wall in the rear to prevent this problem. It was amazing Liebherr would sell such an engineering debacle in the first place. The doors do not shut efficiently, so that you have to constantly be checking to make sure they are closed--or you wind up with a unit full of contaminated food the next morning. The almost inaudible warning doesn't alert you in time--especially if you leave the room, or your home is busy or noisy with family activities. Quickly head out the door to work, only to come home and find the fridge has been sitting all day, with the door ajar just a crack, spoiling your food. Infuriating. The ice maker was repaired 8 times while under warranty and is currently malfunctioning, and of course now the service warranty has expired, without ever solving the problem. I've given up--I freeze ice in trays and manually dump them in the ice-maker drawer. There is only 1 technician in the greater Seattle area where I live, that is even qualified to repair these refridgerators--and he advised me a LONG time ago that I should put the thing on Craig's List--but I don't think I could honestly do that to an unsuspecting buyer. The door shelf brackets break on a rountine basis, and are very expensive to replace. On a positive note, the hydrator drawers do keep vegetables fresh for a long time, but that is really the only redeeming feature about this product. If you are in the market, there are plenty of refridgerators out there that are energy efficient, and whose doors close, and whose freezer units and ice-makers work....and you don't have to spend 8 grand (like I did) for a product riddled with ongoing technical operational flaws & idiosyncrasies. The Liebherr is the one of the worst purchases I've ever made, and I hope this post discourages prospective buyers.

• lorigreer
    12 years ago

I have to agree! I have owned a Liebherr for four years with four years of problems: icemaker does not work; hinge on door was recalled-thankfully before the door fell off; but the most frustrating is that the gasket disintegrated. Per Liebherr, it is not under warranty and the entire door must be replaced---not the gasket. So, do I spend $1000 for a new door plus labor and hope that this works. Or, buy a reliable Kenmore? One problem is that this is a built-in so I may have to hire a contractor. I thought German engineering was better than this. The service is awful. Never again.

• biggs
    10 years ago

Ditto to that had loads of problems over the years with ours and the service company liebherr use in the uk has gone into administration wonder why anyway only managed to sort out problem when www.agsrefrigeration.co.uk who operate in the london area attended and fixed won't be buying one again.

• loriley
    10 years ago

I know this is an old thread - but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in... Bottom Line = Absolutely recommend!

(I have previously owned a SZ 36" model)

I got the very first 36" french door they made. It had an issue with freezing on the back panel of the fridge and the gasket closing was not the best. After speaking with them and having the "service" people out - They sent me a brand new fridge. The new gasket system is fantastic!
    I have also had an issue with the ice maker - but that was due to losing electricity and shutting off the water... I had to get the air out of the line and the ice cubes were back to the best ice cubes around.

So my recs:
    1) Love the 36" French doors - works well in my traffic pattern
    2) Love the ice cubes
    3) Love the upgraded gasket - closes Beautifully
    4) Food stays beautifully
    5) Super quiet & beautifully crafted (SS Model) and integrated
    6) Love the freezer drawers
    7) Great responses from Germany
    8) Weakess = Service providers in the states
    9) Not for very short folks...

the performance of the fridge is incredible - love the compressor on the bottom and super easy to install (comp with las SZ) Do not think it is flimsy in the least... All in I like it much better than my old 36" SZ even with the early issues

• Dorothea Cowap Lawler
    6 years ago

Well. This is now 2017. And guess what. Libherr fridge and freezer still giving same problems. I would never recommend Libherr appliances to anyone. A very, very expensive piece of junk. We have a side by side integrated fridge and freezer with ice box and fridge gas bio fresh drawers. Has never worked to satisfaction from day one.

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Dorothea,

What has been the problems with the Liebherr units? I own an all Fridge with biofresh and a 30" fridge freezer. The 30" is over 8 years old and it has worked great for me. You may be able to get some help with your challenges for the fridge and freezer. Did you post your problems before? This forum is full of people of repair a variety of appliances for a living and may be able to provide guidance. How old are the machines? Are you able to lemon law them and return them the manufacturer? You may be able to get your credit card involved if you paid using a card.

Good luck!

• plllog
    6 years ago

Every appliance company has a few failures.

• rcvt
    6 years ago

So sad to hear these serious complaints with Liebherrs. My 30" is about six years old and has never given a moment's trouble. True, we chose not to buy one with a built-in ice maker. There are billions (OK, maybe just millions) of complaints about ice makers in every brand. The lesson we took from reading about these ubiquitous complaints was simple: skip the ice maker. We make ice cubes in trays. We decided we were just gonna tough it out. :) Thus we have escaped the typical ice-maker woes. We examined a Liebherr with a built-in ice maker in the showroom and observed that it was also a space hog. No room for food, almost. The Liebherr has been a sleek blessing in my tiny kitchen. I love it. Regards and best wishes to other Liebherr owners and not-yet owners.

• oneteam
    6 years ago

I've had a Liebherr 30" with ice maker for 5 years and love it. Beautiful, efficient and not a single problem.

• Dorothea Cowap Lawler
    6 years ago

Thank you homepro01. My fridge and freezer are intergrated. They are 8 years old. The freezer iworks fine. Except for the ice maker. I have given up getting it fixed. As for the fridge well it has my heart broke. Parts of door shelving has been replaced at my own cost four times. It freezes over every now and again on the inside back wall. I have had an engineer out to fix it. He took the back panel off and used my hairdryer to defrost it. And then told me if it happened again to do it myself. !!!!! Now it is overheating. Not only is the product bad. So is the after care. I would get it fixed but I do not want a Libherr engineer near it. And here in Ireland I think we have no choice.

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Dorothea,

Thanks for coming back with more feedback. I see you are located in Ireland. Can you provide a model number for your Liebherr? I don't have a stand alone Liebherr freezer but I do have the integrated 24" fridge. Is yours the biofresh model? Also, do you have the proper venting integrated into the fridge? Also have you vacuumed the coils for the fridge and freezer at the bottom of the units? I know that I get water on the back panel which is normal. I do see some frozen droplets on the back panel but I have not had an issue. I have a 30" fridge freezer also which is where I see the water but not in the all fridge.

What happened to the door shelves? Are you shelves the glass and metal combinations that we have in the US?

• PRO
    Liebherr Appliances North America
    6 years ago

Hello everyone -

We would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread. We are happy to hear that many of you have been happy with your Liebherr refrigerator for many years and hope you'll continue to be happy for many years to come.
    But we would also like to thank those of you who have left constructive criticism and shared your frustrations. We are disappointed that our products didn't match the high expectations you rightfully have of them, but we value your feedback which helps us to constantly improve our products and processes.

For the United States and Canada: If you have any questions regarding a Liebherr product currently in your home or that you are interested in, we encourage you to send us a message either directly here on houzz or by emailing socialmediaUS.home[AT}Liebherr[DOT]com.
    Current owners should, if possible, provide a serial number, found on a sticker insider the refrigerator.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Liebherr Appliances Social Media Team

• Mary Moloney
    6 years ago

I have experienced exactly the same problem as the above and want to return the fridge freezer its no good its like having a midnight ghost who opens the door late at night and you come down too total defrost in the morning. Its NOT that you dont close the door - there is something wrong with the seal and its springs open once you have closed it .I have watched it do so in the mroning after a midnight meltdown. DONT BUY is good advice.

• Steve Daigneault
    6 years ago

To each his own. I’ve had a Liebherr before and found it to be fantastic. Excellent even cooling, great lighting, solid feel, very quiet, never a problem.

• sonni1
    6 years ago

I have had an integratedLiebherr for 5 years now. Chose it because as in integrated I saved a few thousand over the other choice I had. I like the Liebherr because it is absolutely fantasic at keeping all of the fridge cool. I keep milk in the door- but never have an issue with it getting sour. It keeps vegetables fresh much longer than you can imagine (without the Biofresh). I've had spinach stay fresh for 3 weeks or more. so I live with the door - just have to make sure you push it shut - not that difficult. the icemaker can be persnickity, bu the service technician gave me a few pointers. To each his own, I guess.

• zydecobb12
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have owned a Liebherr refrigerator for almost 10 years and endured endless repairs under warranty and beyond. I was a kitchen designer!!! The last $500 repair when the freezer wasn't staying cold, didn't work and we got a refund via credit card dispute. I have extended the life of the freezer now by 2 years and counting by doing a self-repair which I learned by watching the repair person during the final visit. If you take a hair dryer and melt the ice accumulation on the rear of the freezer compartment AND remove the white back panel and defrost the ice block you will find there, the freezer (thus far) has returned to zero. I've done this twice successfully. The evaporated coil which has been replaced twice was not replaced either time I defrosted it myself. It's a piece of junk. Buy a Bosch or a Sub-Zero and save yourself time and aggravation.

• Rhoda Carroll
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It pains me to read a review like zydecobb12's. When my husband and I were shopping for a new refrigerator seven years ago, we looked at all the high-end models and read all the reviews. Of course, reviews of all brands were mixed. When we went to look at the actual products, we found that only the Liebherr featured a very simple design and very accessible components. My husband said "This is the one for us. Anything that could go wrong is visible (if you move the refrigerator out from the wall) and seems fixable." Of course the freezer seized up during a spell of hot humid weather. We melted the ice and presto. Easy peasy, especially if one hasn't tossed out the Owner's Manual. No need for a service call. (We didn't order the ice maker since reviews of every cooling device on the Web includes many ice-maker horror stories.) Our Liebherr (freestanding, 30" wide, bottom freezer) has been otherwise flawless. I don't work for Leibherr. Our unit might still go pouf some day. I hate writing product reviews. But for some reason I find myself provoked to offer this rebuttal. Now I'll sign off. Best wishes to everyone searching for the right product.

• Joseph V
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just bought a Liebherr fridge and Freezer. The Ice maker barely makes any ice and the Freezer is making a loud noise and not cooling above 37 degrees F. By my experience, I have to agree with bryanbm that it is a very expensive piece of junk. By the looks of these and other reviews (Reddit), it seems like I'll have to become an expert Fridge technician now that I have dropped almost $14k on a Liebherr Fridge and Freezer. FML.

• SS S
    9 months ago

Liebherr has addressed the main issues here:

- the doors self close - it's impossible to leave them open unless you don't even attempt to close them.

- the door alarm is loud and you can get notifiations on your smartphone

- it's easy to misload the fridge and prevent the doors from closing! That's not Liebherr's fault.

I compared the integrated offerings from both Sub Zero and Liebherr and it's clear Liebherr is superior:

- Liebherr makes commercial refrigeration (for pharma, restaurants, etc.); Sub Zero is residential only

- 25% lower price

- Made in Europe vs midwestern US. I'll take German engineering over US any day (sorry, Americans! - it's why German cars are superior to US vehicles)

The Sub Zero forums have their share of trash talk too - nothing new here.

• HU-811890576
    5 months ago

We are on our third Liebherr 36" "builtin" refrigerator. Units one and two went bad and were replaced by Liebherr. When unit three went bad (freezer temp started going up and down every day, lights stopped working, etc), we decided to give up on Liebherr. Our expensive unit is now in the landfill AND... when we removed the refrigerator we found that we had rot from water damage in our wall and into the subfloor. We had an expert remediation person look at this and we were told that our Liebherr unit has been producing condensation behind the unit for over a year and this rotted our walls. We are now looking at a $10,000 - $11,000 home repair bill that insurance will not cover! I have contacted Liebherr and I am waiting to hear back regarding compensation for this damage. I sure hope they will do the responsible thing and pay us for the damage that their faulty products have caused. I plan to update this post once I hear back from Liebherr.

• HU-12925053
    5 months ago

Our liebherr experience is a very unhappy one. Within one year of purchase our side by side stand alone freezer started heating up (freezer sitting at 14 deg Celsius)- this occured 4 times. We lost our freezer contents each time. each time a repair tech would come out and use a hair dryer to melt the ice surrounding the temp gauge. He finally installed a tube to try to prevent the ongoing issue. to no avail.. finally they replaced the freezer side with a newer model, but that didn’t completely match our older fridge side… but they didn’t care. A couple of years later and the fridge side stopped working. apparently it’s the compressor. which stopped working in June this year. now its November and the replacement compressor is still on backorder. 5 months without a Fridge. Family of 4 without a fridge for 5 months while a replacement compressor is still on backorder. worst fridge/freezer we have ever had- and cost 3-4 times as much as any of our previous fridges.

customer service has been very poor too.

I could never recommend liebherr to anyone. ever.

• Bob Martin
    3 months ago

We bought a house that had a 30" CI 1651 already installed. we bought the house in 2020. I think the fridge was installed in 2006. It's running, so I guess that is good. The refrigerator door doesn't close tightly and the alarm beeping is driving my wife crazy. I have reached out to LiebHerr to thank them for helping with karma, but have not received a reply. I have ordered parts to fix the worn hinges. It doesn't see like a hard repair. We'll see.