Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awful Smell from New Garbage Dispoal - Any Ideas?

Posted by rdw829 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 9:31

We just had a new Waste King installed in our (new) kitchen last week - and it is just giving off an awful smell! When I open the cabinet under the sink it is especially strong, but if I run the disposal at all (so far just water and maybe some crumbs) - it is awful. Is this normal? What can / should I do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awful Smell from New Garbage Dispoal - Any Ideas?

Do you have a picture of the undersink install? Sounds like an incorrectly installed P trap is allowing sewer gas back into the home, or the waste arm into the wall needed to be lowered for the additional depth of the garbage disposal and now water isn't draining properly into the drain and is instead pooling in the bottom of the disposal.

o
RE: Awful Smell from New Garbage Dispoal - Any Ideas?

I'll try and get a good pic tonight. At first, I thought it was just a 'new disposal' type thing, but the smell is truly awful! Thanks for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here