Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmsscs_gw

Fridge reconsiderations

lmsscs
10 years ago

I thought I had all my appliances figured out, but as I was going over the last of the details for the plans, I realized I didn't want to give up precious space to a standard counter-depth fridge. So I started looking at built-in options.

In doing so I came across a beautiful Miele column fridge, 18" freezer, 30" fridge. I'm struggling to justify the cost compared to a 48" Monogram. This works out to be thousands of dollars different. I've looked at the Thermador columns and Subzero but they aren't too far off in price to the Miele so might as well go with Miele. I was also hoping to make the Liebherr work, but I wasn't in love with how shallow it was and the fit and finish of the interior.

This is how I narrowed it down to the Monogram or the Miele. If I got the Monogram I would leave it stainless. If I got the Miele I would panel it, giving it an integrated look. I have some general concerns about reliability with regards to both brands, but that could be as a result of all the reading I have done. Which is really the better choice?

Comments (9)

• paarlberg
    10 years ago

What is your budget?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

IMO Monogram is among the worst choices you can make in built-in refrigeration. It does not have as bad a record as Viking but much worse than average.

Miele is one of the better choices.

But better in this case also means significantly more dollars.

An appliance store on ebay is selling a brand new out of box K1801Vi- Miele 30" Fully Integrated All Refrigerator Custom Panel Right Hinge for $1k off UMRP with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Go with the Miele and paneled.

We had a GE SS fridge, what a pita to keep spotless.

When you think about how long you will have it, the extra money will be well worth it.

We have had a built in 48" Jenn-air, since 2006, we absolutely love it and being paneled, keeping it great looking is a "Non Event".

We love the copius amount of space in both the fridge and the freezer.

Gary

• lmsscs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the input. Deeageaux hit right on my fears about the Monogram. It is looking like the Miele is going to be the way to go.

Deeageaux, I'm flexible on budget as you can see. I don't want to spend more than the Mieles, but if you have another suggestion I'm all ears.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

You looked at Thermador but felt the reduction in price relative to Miele did not justify the reduction in interior quality and features.

You do not like the fit and finish of Liebherr.

You are stuck then at the very high end.

My only advice would be to look at the Gaggenau version of the towers before making a final decision and see if you like those better.

Miele, Gaggenau, and Thermador all made by BSH. Miele has some proprietary electronics in theirs and Gagg has some exclusive features too.

• moebus
    10 years ago

Been using the Gagg version of the columns for year. Love them for the quiet, efficiency and ability to see everything.

• lmsscs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will check out the gagg version. Thank you for the info.

• honugirlhawaii
    9 years ago

I am considering purchasing a counter-depth Frigidaire that is 35.75in wide. The width of the space I have for this refrigerator is 36 inches and has cabinets on both sides.
    It will fit like a glove. Is this a bad idea to have so little clearance?
    BTW, the height is 69.88 and I have 73 inches and depth is fine.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Firs like a glove? Bad? Maybe. Maybe not.

Most fridge installation instructions for Counter-depth and Standard-depth fridges will specify a side clearance for ventilation purposes, usually 1/2" or 3/8." Also, depending on how the door hinges mount, they may require additional clearance to allow the doors to swing full wide. Maybe your planned Frigidaire has zero-clearance doors?

Best to read the installation instructions for the model you want to buy. You've probably already done this, but for anybody who does not know, you can find install instructions on many vendor sites under a tab labeled something like "info and guides." Many companies have separate install instruction booklets but, IIRC, Frigidiare usually includes the install requirements in the owner's manual.