Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvssushi

new? ge phs920sfss profile slide-in induction

Lvssushi
10 years ago

Finally got kitchen remodel on it's way and was looking to purchase the GE PHS925STSS slide in induction range. On Goedecker's site they don't have that model listed, instead they have listed the GE PHS920SFSS Slide in Induction range. This is apparently the new model but will not be delivered until after October 1st. I have compared what information I can see and there seems to be no difference?

Should I wait to purchase until more info come out about the new model? Does anyone have any additional info? Thanks!

Comments (74)

• dhbish
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know this range has only been out for 1 week. But, has anyone bought this yet so they can give a brief review?

• ducatiman
    10 years ago

I was told this model was delayed 'til Nov. 21. No one has it at this time to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone have different information?

• larry20853
    10 years ago

It's definitely out. I saw it on the floor at Bray & Scarff in Rockville (MD) last weekend.

• angiebangie
    10 years ago

They finally got rid of the cat eye!!! I wanted a GE last year but ended up with a Frigidaire hybrid and a GE cafe advantium to avoid the cat eye. The new range looks really beautiful.

• Godot
    10 years ago

larry-- the one on display at B&S in rockville is the electric radiant smoothtop version (PS920SFSS), not the induction one (PHS920SFSS), which is not expected until 22 Nov. The two new models do look identical. We ordered the induction one in September with a 1 Oct delivery date--it has slid several times. We'll be lucky if we can cook Thanksgiving dinner in it at this rate.

This post was edited by Godot on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 9:54

• dgaylor
    10 years ago

I have one of these on order (I live in Phoenix) and I was told that the release has been pushed back to the first or second week of December.

• ducatiman
    10 years ago

Godot and dgaylor - thank you for the updates. I am getting emaciated from eating microwave food and might just have a Wolf delivered tomorrow!

• Godot
    10 years ago

dgaylor-- Sears now says 27 Nov, was 22 Nov a few days ago. I've started referring to the PHS920sfss as a mythical range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears page for GE PHS920SFSS

• csmerk
    10 years ago

Hang in there. I thought mine was mythical too. I was waiting for the new GE double oven gas convection range for two months. Original release was supposed to be Sept 3rd but every two weeks, they kept pushing it back. Well, it finally came on November 5th. It is beautiful, was worth the wait, and I am finally cooking again. GE did a beautiful job redesigning their appliances. You will be pleased.

• ducatiman
    10 years ago

Just checked a voice mail from the largest GE retailer in Utah. They expect delivery Dec. 9th or 10th now....

• Godot
    10 years ago

I looked for a replacement but the kitchen configuration--over-range GE convection MW+hood, closeness of the wall cabinets--preclude any comparable gas range. I'd always cooked on gas previously but higher-end ones require 500-600CFM hoods and possible HVAC mods to provide "make-up air" and comply with county code. I've not liked what I've heard about other induction ranges so I'm kinda stuck. On the other hand, the convection microwave is a life-saver, along with a $60 induction single-burner hotplate.

This post was edited by Godot on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 23:23

• fauguy
    10 years ago

For those of you that ordered the PHS920 slide-in induction, how much did you get it for? I haven't had a chance to call my local retail stores in the Ft Lauderdale area to check on pricing or availability.

• dgaylor
    10 years ago

fauguy, I ordered the range in Phoenix for $1725 but the dealer was going to sell me the slide in for about $2300 if I had wanted it. I couldn't justify the extra $500 just for looks, so I ordered the range as well as an advantium oven (hope they are good).

• Godot
    10 years ago

fauguy: $2,750 in the Washington DC area for the GE PHS920SFSS slide-in induction-cooktop range.

• Lvssushi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Goedekers here in Missouri has it for $2398.00. If you live out of state you can order it online and pay no sales tax and you get free shipping.

This post was edited by Lvssushi on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 8:40

• lpolk
    10 years ago

I have my new range!

I ordered the PHS920SFSS slide in on Oct 16 in MA and it was delivered on Nov 13. I called GE on Nov 12 to see if it was on time and they told me "no, these are delayed, it says Nov 22 but that will probably slide." So I was all set to freak out about not having a range for Thanksgiving, but my appliance store called that day, said they had it in and now I've got it! (btw paid just under 2800).

So far I love it. It is in my mom's house, so I was worried about her learning it but it is very easy to use. It's my first induction range so I am sure my happiness is mainly getting away from the old electric smoothtop. Very happy with the responsiveness.

Now my issue is finding a stock/pasta pot that doesn't buzz too much. Bought the new chantal recommended induction one, and it makes a huge racket! I returned it. My all clad saucepan makes a hum but its livable. Cast iron is quiet but too heavy for stock pot.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Please keep us posted on your "experiments" in testing stockpots. The presence and absence of buzzing and other cooking surface noises are a matter of ongoing curiousity here, Sometimes, clear explanations or solutions reveal themselves; sometimes not. One question that comes to mind: did you test that Chantal on the 8" burners as well as the 11" burner, and, if so, did you get the same kind and amount of noise?

Another thought, the buzzing seems like it might be related to the ferrous-metal mass of the base of the pan. I'm not familiar with the new Chantal stockpots. Do the Chantals have a relatively thin base? That might correlate to getting no buzzing with cast iron and slight buzzing with the thicker-base All-Clad sauce pan. If the Chantal had a thin base (say, thickness similar to that of the sides), you might want to try out an induction capable stockpot with an disk base.

Hope this gets solved.

• lpolk
    10 years ago

Yes, I am having a hard time getting cookware recommendations that are not "cast iron" so I will keep you posted. I did not try the stock pot on the smaller burner. But I also bought the Chantal saucepan and tried on the smaller burner and same thing, very loud buzz. They did have a disk on the bottom, with holes in it. I just bought a hefty Cuisinart pot that I'll try next, if that is a fail, I will probably just invest in an All Clad one since I know I can live with that hum. I think people thought I was a little weird, I have a magnetic clasp that I kept touching all the pots with :)

So far I have tested:
    Le Crueset - as mentioned, no noise
    Mauviel saucepan - low hum
    All Clad nonstick skillet and dutch oven - low hum

• Godot
    10 years ago

My range will be installed (knock on stainless) on Friday, so the myth becomes reality. I bought the Cuisinart MCP-12N MultiClad Pro set and it works great on an induction hotplate we've been using. I also have a 4-piece set of cast iron I inherited from my grandmother--this stuff is literally more than 120 years old since she got it from her grandma. I've cooked on gas for 30 years so I'll share my impression. I actually get to cook thanksgiving dinner in my own kitchen.

This post was edited by Godot on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 19:57

• fauguy
    10 years ago

For those of you with the slide a in phs920 installed, can you please take and post some images. The only ones are the stock GE photos.

• Godot
    10 years ago

Installed, waiting for power to be hooked up at the switchbox. Note that it fits flush to the rear wall--no "bridge" or coverplate. The electrical connection is a 240 plug, not a "bare wire" install, so you will need an outlet. there's room at the bottom/rear of the range for a flush-mounted outlet but pay attention to the installation instructions regarding location of the outlet--it can't be dead-center because of the location of the vent outlet for the warming drawer.

• lpolk
    10 years ago

Here are some pix of mine, like Godot said, flush to the back wall no spacer.

I tried making videos of the hum, but the sound didn't come out. Tried a Cuisinart stock pot, hums like the All Clad, will probably keep it, don't think I will get any better and I am sure we'll get used to it, not too loud, just different.

Tried a Calphalon saute pan, big buzz, will return and try again for that piece. Looks like things with a disk on the bottom (Chantal, Calphalon) are buzzing more than the ones that are clad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ge 920 Induction Slide-in Range pix

• fauguy
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures.

From what I can tell, the difference between the new PHS920 compared to the older 925 is:
    1) Newer GE Profile design
    2) Shiny black oven with black-enamel oven racks

The 925 had reported issues that the large front-right burner would jump up from low setting to high setting on its own, and required a new control panel to fix. I'd think this issues would be resolved with the new 920 model.

• fauguy
    10 years ago

For those of you with this new 920 model, please let us know how it went using it to prepare Thanksgiving dinner.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I have nothing to add. Just want to be on the list to see updates. I was unaware GE had a slide in induction. I have been waffling between the Electrolux induction and the GE Cafe gas double oven, both slide-ins, for the new build. I have about a week to decide. I may have to throw the GE induction into the mix!

• lpolk
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving dinner was GREAT! Very happy with this range!

We did not use the Turkey probe, though I wanted to, my mother was too old fashioned for it :) But it held temp very steady and cooked the turkey beautifully.

The warming drawer could have been warmer but I had not used it before that day to get used to the temp settings, had it at Med/STD.

All burners were in use and I did not hear a single buzz or hum, as people say, when you are busy cooking, regular kitchen noises took over any cookware noise. I have been testing the clad ware in obsessive silence :)

The responsiveness of the burners was key for several things like gravy and bechamel that can't overheat.

Simmer takes a while to get used to, I find the simmer buttons only helpful for a large pot of food. A smaller amount needs lower setting than the simmer button, so I will probably just always manually adjust the temp. But it did hold a simmer, unlike my gas stove which I have a hard time doing.

Had no quirks or problems. 7 stove top dishes, 4 oven dishes.

I finally broke down and got a Swiss Diamond Induction skillet after returning 3 others that made a huge buzz. This skillet is not only quiet, but it was a GREAT pan. Perfectly golden brussel sprouts and crispy bacon. Will get another size and probably a sauce pan from them.

One note: when opening the oven, a large amount of steam escapes, no matter what you cook. I don't know if my oven is not venting properly, or if this is just something a sealed oven does. Seems to work fine, but it was noticed by everyone.

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

Thanks you lpolk, for posting. Went on Sat to look at the new style of the range. (The electric version) I was getting concerned about all of the buzzing and hissing sounds, so I haven't pulled the plug just yet. You've alleviated my anxiety a bit with your Thanksgiving story. I think lots of steam coming from the oven is a really good thing- bakers esp b/c it creates a crisp crust! Thanks again.

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

Thanks you lpolk, for posting. Went on Sat to look at the new style of the range. (The electric version) I was getting concerned about all of the buzzing and hissing sounds, so I haven't pulled the plug just yet. You've alleviated my anxiety a bit with your Thanksgiving story. I think lots of steam coming from the oven is a really good thing- bakers esp b/c it creates a crisp crust! Thanks again.

• Godot
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving went great. I cooked the stuffed turkey with the probe into the deepest part of the breast, set for 165. Butterball guestimated it would take 3.5-4 hours for a 15 lb bird but it hit the target temp in under 3 hours, and I wasn't using convection roasting. We were still waiting for guests to arrive so I let the temp go up to 170F, about 185F i the thigh then let it rest for almost an hour. It was still 140F at carving time.

Love the warming drawer. My roasting pan is non-ferrous so I deglazed the drippings and scrapped them into a large saute pan, added stock and flour, etc., and had perfect gravy in about 15 minutes on the large burner. Using Cuisinart MCP-12N MultiClad Pro Stainless cookware, if the kitchen is utterly silent I can hear a slight ringing but nobody else noticed. Also cranked out three pies. Very happy with this new range.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Godot, I've been waiting for you! (Sorry, but sometimes I have no resistance to silliness!) I am so glad to hear that you and lpolk both love your induction ranges. I wish I could make a decision. Soon, I'll have to, ready or not.

• kailuamom
    10 years ago

So excited! I hit the buy now button from Goedekers - they say I'll get it in January.

• dgaylor
    10 years ago

I finally just had my PHB920SFSS (freestanding range) delivered today. Can't wait to get home and try it out!

• mmks
    10 years ago

dgaylor was just wondering how it is going with your PHB920SFSS?

• seashine
    10 years ago

I'm wondering too!

• kailuamom
    10 years ago

Mine was delivered today...damaged.

I refused delivery. I'm pretty bummed, but it was pretty bad. While GE would provide us a new panel, the dent was close enough to the cooktop, that I was worried there could have been internal damage.

Anyway, I ordered a new one... Hope it comes in better shape. It sure was pretty!

Btw - for folks struggling with the idea of the extra money for the slide in.... I am a pretty thrifty gal, this was an issue for me. Except, when I think about reaching over my cooking food, to mess with the controls, it's a no brainer. If you have little ones, it may be opposite for you. But, for me, I have no interest in having controls in the back. I'll wait for my slide in.

• bend_or
    10 years ago

How do you folks like the User Interface for the cooktop?

How do you use it? To adjust power level, do you touch and hold? Or touch and tap?

Is there a shut-off timer that can be set for individual elements?

What about Boost functions? I cannot determine these details from the specifications:

Element - Left Front 8" 2500W
    Element - Left Rear 8" 2500W
    Element - Right Front 11" 3700W Power Boil
    Element - Right Rear 6" 1800W
    Element - Center 6" Warming Zone

In fact, comparing to other induction cooktops is awkward because the others I have seen indicate the regular power and the boost power available for a specific element.

Or maybe there is no boost on this unit. My understanding is boost is a temporary diversion of power from other elements to the one that is being boosted.
    Seems that the only safety feature I could find is a total shutdown of the oven if it has been running for something like 12 hours (3 for broiling). So, I assume there are no safety features on the cooktop.

Just curious about this, as I am shopping for induction cooking.

Thanks!

• Godot
    10 years ago

Bend-or, I'll try to answer what I can. I've owned the GE PHS920SFSS for about 2 months.

User interface-- I used a low-end dial-controled gas range before this, and I found the panel very intuitive and simple. I especially like the "lock-out" feature and use it to clean the panel and cooktop.

How do you use it? For cooktop elements, you first tap the "ON" button for the desired element, then tap the + or - button to set the level. The default starting setting is 5 (out of 10 with 1/2-step increments). In other words, there are 19 temp settings plus powerboil on the 11" one. For the oven, you tap "Bake" and will be prompted to enter the temp.

Is there a shut-off timer that can be set for individual elements? No--there is a timer but it doesn't turn anything on or off on the cooktop. There is a separate oven timer that will shut off baking/broiling but I don't think it works for the burners.

What about Boost functions?

From my usage and the manual, the only "boosted" element is the large (11") right front one; I've read that when that element is set to powerboil, the right rear element is disabled.

Not sure what you mean by safety features-- you can lock the cooktop controls by holding down the "lock" button for 3 seconds. If you remove the cookware, the element will shut off after 30 seconds. As an induction range, it senses iron/stainless cookware and won't work with non-ferrous pans. I would not leave any range unattended, particularly an induction range with very fast-heating elements, except for something on the warming area.

The powerboil element requires you to tap the "Powerboil" button--if you manually increment to "10," it will not/not be in boosted/powerboil mode. When set to Powerboil, it can bring a gallon of water to a boil in under 5 mins--you don't want to walk away thinking it will take 20 minutes like my old gas range would.

• nhs_alum
    10 years ago

We have this range on order. When I look at the install specs it says "Unit will not mount flush to counter when heights are less than 36 inches".

Our about to be ordered cabinets are 34.5" plus a 3 cm granite top. This seems to work out to about 35 11/16 for a countertop height.

Does anybody have this unit installed with a countertop that is (slightly) under 36"? If so, is it true that it cannot be adjusted down to rest against the countertop?

Here is a link that might be useful: PHS920SFSS Quick Specs

• fauguy
    10 years ago

kailuamom,

Where did you order the unit from?
    If any appliance comes damaged, it shouldn't be accepted regardless of the price. You have no idea how it was mishandled and what internal problems might be present.

• kailuamom
    10 years ago

I agree in this case, and didn't accept it. It was purchased online from Goedekers.

Had it been a scratch to the side panel, I may have been happy to accept it.

• ducatiman
    10 years ago

nhs alum,

I believe you are absolutely correct that the glass will not go any lower than 36 inches. There will be a gap (unacceptable to me) if your countertops are not at least 36 inches off the floor. I installed a 3/4" slab of Baltic birch plywood on top of the cabinets and below the 3cm granite to prep for this range. I believe many will get caught off guard by this "fine print" in GE's installation manual.

• jdclay
    10 years ago

I just purchased this range and I had a question:

Does the convection bake allow for single rack and multirack baking like other GE ranges? My previous GE range showed top and bottom elements on the LCD when single rack baking and the rear convection element when multirack baking and this new one does not seem to.

Does the regular bake setting have the convection fan running as if single rack baking?

• fauguy
    10 years ago

My current GE Profile that is about 10 years old has 3 modes, standard bake with the top and bottom elements on with the fan off, convection back with the rear element and fan on, convection broil with the top element on and the fan on. I believe this model and all GE convection units operate the same way.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Interesting question.

According to the GE user's manual, standard bake is for single rack baking and roasting. There is no mention of the convection fan running. Since there are dishes for which you would not want a fan running, and since GE calls it "traditional bake," I think it highly unlikely that the convection fan would run at all in standard bake mode.

That said, I've noticed that some GE ranges have been programmed to use preheat by using the convection fan and element in combinattion with the other elements. That's only for preheating. IIRC, the predecessor GE induction ranges, the PHB/PHS925 did this.

The PHS920 manual says standard bake mode heats "primarily" from the lower element but also uses the upper element. That concerns me a bit if the upper element is used for anything but preheating. Maybe they have a lot of microprocessors running this thing to keep the top element from singing the tops of baked goods?

The "convection" mode is said to "primarily" use the rear element but also to use the upper and lower elements as needed. There is no mention of a convection broil mode.

On my now-deceased GE Profitl DF (vintage 2001), there were mulitple modes. There were buttons for standard bake and for high and low broil plus various convection settings. in standard bake mode, the display/LCD image showed the top and bottom elements being used when bringing the oven to temperature, but only ran the bottom element for maintaining heat thereafter. Convection mode did the same thing and, when the temperature was reached, displayed and used the rear element with some heat from the bottom elements. The "convection roast" cycle was similar except that it used the top and rear elements. "Convection broil" was just what you would think. The latest models seem simpler.

• Sniks
    9 years ago

Two quick questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1st, what is the actual width of the body of this range? My space between my granite is 29 7/8 in and space between cabinets is 30 1/2.

2nd, I've been debating whether getting the induction range worth the $600 price difference versus the standard slide in? Thoughts?

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Actual width of the body is a standard 29 7/8" as on most slide-ins and most free standing ranges. The wide part is the overhang of the cooktop glass (think of it as being kind of like the brim on a hat that is designed to mask the gap between the sides of the counters and the sides of the stove)

Your question about "the induction range . . . versus the standard slide-in" seemed ambiguous to me. Are you:

(a) totally new to induction and wanting an explanation of why one might want to get an induction slide-in versus a radiant electric (standard?) slide-in range?;

or

(b) asking why one might want the freestanding induction range versus the slide-in induction range?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 13:32

• Sniks
    9 years ago

I am totally new to induction. I see some benefits but will admit I don't completely understand what all the benefits may be.

I am definitely doing a slide in, but as I don't believe I will be in my current home for more than 4 years not sure if I should spend the extra $ for the induction.

Thanks for helping me clarify.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

If induction is completely new to you, a good intro to induction concepts and benefits can be found at:

www.theinductionsite.com.

If you've already been there or have the basics figured out, you might want to look at a couple of recent threads on why you might want to get an induction range rather than a radiant smoothtop electric. The Gardenweb thread is here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg011522278372.html

Another one at chowhound.com can be found here:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/897062

I'm being cursory with this list not because I'm dismissing you but because there are literally dozens of threads here that can give you a ton of information. There are, as well, threads discussing questions like: "Does anybody regret choosing induction?"

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1116333928191.html

and a similar one at Chowhound:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/963166

A lot of the discussions will have opinions and experiences pro and con about induction versus gas, as well, and some of that may not interest you. Still there is a veritable mine of useful information and opinions to be found.

So, in the abstract, if I had to choose between a radiant smoothtop and an induction range, I would go with the induction range. But you cannot buy a stove in the abstract and some of us have budgets. If the $600 difference was way over budget, I would look at a freestanding induction range over a slide-in radiant range because, for me, the benefits of induction are that great. It might not matter to you in your situation with your kitchen and the way you cook. Hopefully, the above links will help you figure out (and sort out) your preferences.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 19:18

• Kimiano
    9 years ago

I had been planning to purchase a GE Profile GAS slide in, but after research tonight on over-the-range microwaves, I'm getting scared about putting a microwave above a gas range. Is an induction cook top a better option? This is a whole kitchen remodel, so I have options...but the cabinets have been ordered.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I understand why you asked this question here but you might still want to consider starting a new thread so your question does not get overlooked by others who can help you.

But, to take a shot at it, the GE PHS920 slide-in induction range may be a "better option" for you than the gas-slide-in that is in your plans. Maybe not for the reasons on which you might have focused. I'm keying on the comment about "getting scared."

First thing is that OTRs above a gas range are not "scary." There just are much more effective means of collecting and removing vapors and venting-out waste heat. As long as OTRs are vented to the extrerior (instead of recirculating), they are better than nothing and can be "adequate." If you do a search here on OTRs, you'll find several threads from the last couple of years discussing OTRs over gas ranges and including discussions (and pictures) of using them over pro-style ranges.

Second, the thing that makes OTRs less effective is "coverage area." Most of them only cover the back half of the stove, so they do not do a good job of collecting vapors etc. from pots on the front burners. This is just as much a problem with induction as it is with gas burners.

If you can manage it, a "proper" hood "should" be at least as deep as the stove and 3-inches wider to each side with the fan intake(s) positioned to efficiently draw what the hood captures. As kaseki has so often pointed out here, the more your vent relies on the fan(s) instead of a canopy for collection of vapors, the less effective it will be as a venting appliance. Many of us have had to make compromises on effectiveness in order to fit or retrofit some venting into our kitchens. So, some wind up with narrower hoods that are 22" deep. Others have to get shallower hoods. Some of us can fit only shallow-hoods with flat bases rather than canopies. Still others have to resort to OTR units.

But, some venting is better than none. If you needed confirmation of this seemingly obvious point, there were some threads here from a year ago which discussed a study on kitchen venting carried out at the Lawrence Livermore Laboratories and funded by the Dept. of Energy and the EPA. (I'd give you the links but cannot find them at the moment.)

Third, you can mitigate the OTR compromises a bit if you select an OTR with a slide-out vent extension. These have a slide-out vent-tray that extends some fan pick-up intakes out closer to the front of the stove and increases the capture area somewhat. The kinds of OTRs ave also been discussed in several threads here over the last couple of years. (You may already have seen these, so forgive me for mentioning them id you have.) I think LG makes a couple of models like this and there may be more from other companies.

Fourth, when people have said "scary" about this topic in past threads, they often have been laboring under the mis-impression that running a gas stove without a vent is a fire hazard and that an OTR, with its limited effectiveness, might somehow be a code violation. Going without a vent -- in a home with residential stoves rather than commercial equipment --- is not a fire hazard -- at least it is not as long as you heed the cabinet spacing and wall surface specifications in you stove's installation instructions. Same thing with OTRs.

Firth, when it comes to dealing with waste heat, venting is mainly a matter of comfort with gas ranges. Something like 60% (and more) of the heat from the burners can be going around the pans on the stove top and, because gas ovens vent more than electric ovens, a lot more heat can come into the kitchen from the oven vent than with an electric oven. A well-functioning range hood can draw a fair amount of that heat out and help keep the kitchen more comfortable. An OTR does some of this, too, just a whole lot less.

Sixth, that brings us to induction ranges like the PHS920 producing far less waste heat than gas ranges, which can be a very real and very big advantage for many people. Basically, 84% (or more) of the energy from an induction burner goes into a pan. With gas, it is more like 33% to maybe 40% (depending on a lot of variables). Also, as mentioned above, gas ovens pump more heat into your kitchen than an electric oven will. So, if you live in a warm-to-hot climate or a place with long hot summers, induction will have an obvious two-fold advantage. The stove-top produces less waste heat and the vent does not need to suck as much conditioned air to maintain comfort around the stove.

Seventh, in theory, the extra heat from a gas range could cause more wear and tear on the OTR's MW and cause it to fail sooner than it might when run over an induction range like the PHS920. While I've seen posts expressing that fear as well as posts complaining about how much of a pain it can be to replace OTRs that fail, I haven't seen any data about actual relative failure rates. Consumer Reports used to have annual membership survey data showing that OTRs had slightly higher reported failure rates for the first five years of ownership but now, with countertop MWs being basically commodity products from very few manufacturers (notwithstanding the plethora of brands), the annual survey no longer asks about countertop MWs. For OTRs, most brands run about 6% to 8% defects and failures in the first five years, Kitchenaid and LG run around 10% and Samsung is the outlier with a 16% problem rate on its OTRs in the first five years of ownership. Unfortunately, CR's survey does not ask about the kind of range the OTR is placed above. Also, a further caveat, the amount of heat going to the OTR is highly variable between houses and cooking styles. At this point, about all that can be said is that there is a potential that extra heat from gas stoves could shorten the life of an OTR but no data on how significant that is.

So, to sum up on "waste heat," a PHS920 range could very well be "a better option" for you with an OTR.

Eighth, gas ranges produce combustion by-products. Now, I say that, and the paranoid immediately panic and chatter about carbon monoxide (CO). But that's a distraction. CO is not a problem with modern gas ranges unless somebody has deliberately put the burners way out of adjustment or leaves them running without a flame. A range hood really won't help with either of those problems.

Realistically, the problem is more subtle -- it is aerosolized grease, ozone, NO, CO2 and a few other combustion related compounds. Without good venting, this stuff will coat kitchen surfaces more quickly than happens with induction. That, in turn, means more frequent need to scrub surfaces. Also, unvented gas cooktops and ranges can have subtle long term health effects --- which will be adverse in the short term if you have chemical sensitivities, in which case you shouldn't consider gas appliances, at all.

While induction obviously does not put combustion by-products into your kitchen (the combustion happens at the power plant where those things may be more readily contained), cooking on induction won't result in less aerosolized particulates. Even so, the relative lack of waste heat means that they don't disperse as readily as they do with a gas stove. That, in turn, makes for more ready capture by venting, even OTRs,

So, this is another item that can make induction a "better option" for you with an OTR.

Ninth, I gather that the upcoming versions of the International Residential Code (IRC) may be requiring kitchen venting. I've read in some posts here that a few jurisdictions have already adopted their own requirements in advance of those regulations. (I'm not talking about the existing make-up-air (MUA) requirements which only apply if you install ventilation over a certain CFM capacity -- I'm talking about requirements to install venting in the kitchen). You might want to check if your locality has any such new requirements and whether they make any distinctions between types of stoves and cooktops.

Tenth, I've learned over the years here that some people think recirculating OTRs are the same as venting them to the outside. Since you said you've been researching them, I am assuming you know the difference. For anybody who reads this thread later and doesn't know the difference, recirculating range hoods and OTRs are almost all next to useless. The authors of that Lawrence Livermore report on venting called recirculators "forehead greasers."

Finally, with the cabinets ordered for your remodel, I'm not sure what options have, but most of us would strongly recommend putting a canopy hood in place of that OTR, if you can, and put a regular microwave on a shelf or cart somewhere else, and do this regardless of whether you get your gas slide-in or go with an induction slide-in like the PHS920.

P.S. Have you seen the current thread on whether induction needs a less powerful hood? If not, check out the last post in that thread which is by Kaseki.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 14:04