Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yupkwondo_gw

Help me spend $20 - $30,000....

yupkwondo
13 years ago

Hopefully this is a good exercise for you all...

Building a new home and have roughly $25,000 budgeted for kitchen appliances. I am ok with going over budget a little, but want to contain it to a max of $5,000

I have been reading and reading, but can not make a final decision on what brands of what to buy... The only thing I am pretty sure of is a 60" Capital Culinarian Range (6 burner with double grill, rotisserie, basically all options,) or a 48" (6 burner w/grill, same all options)

What I am going to need is

Refrigerator/Freezer - The house design calls for a built in all fridge in the main section of the kitchen with the freezer removed in a back hall of the kitchen. I am okay with doing a fridge/freezer in main section if the separates blow the budget. The only downfall is I am really stuck on a 36" Subzero glass door all fridge up front (BI-36RG), but it doesn't work budget wise without the freezer.

Range Hood - No idea what to do here, an inline blower would be ok.

Under-counter Bev. Center/Fridge - Thinking a glass door fridge in the island that will correlate with the glass door main fridge. No idea on brand yet.

Oven - If we I go with the 48" Culinarian I would want an additional electric in wall oven - Thinking electrolux icon designer here.

Speed oven/Microwave - Again no idea, been leaning electrolux icon designer here too.

Warming Drawer - Not super important but it would be nice. Again thinking electrolux icon designer to wrap up the stack in a cabinet enclosure.

Dishwasher - Not super important for me, but have read good things about the Kitchenaid Supurba.

Any help would be appreciated, and I realize this is going to come down to a lot of opinion, but maybe there is something I am not considering that I should be.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

Capital made in China? What? They are made in California.

Do some Viking research on this forum. I ruled them out early on because of the posts here. Maybe they have improved since then.

I hope some others will chime in for you.

• homechef
    13 years ago

Check out Liebherr for refrigerators and Miele for dishwashers.
    Capital is made in California. Great choice!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Inline blower, definitely!
    What about your HVAC?
    You need to know now.
    Air exhausted has to be replaced.

With the same budget, the same needs, and the same predilection for glass doors, I would have written a completely different list of appliances.

For DW, I would get one 24" drawer and one 18" Miele.

Cooktop, ovens, fridges, freezers: I'll comment later.

• amcook
    13 years ago

Capital is definitely made in California. I was one of the ones that went to the factory. That said, if you think that every piece of your "American Made" car is manufactured and sourced in the US, then you're either naive or delusional. Choose your favorite brand of US made electronics. Your iPhone for instance. I will bet that if you pop the lid you'll find components made in Singapore, Thailand, Korea, Japan, and.. yes China.

If you want to make your decision based on supporting US companies, then great. Don't, however confuse that with a decision based on quality or performance. I've had great experiences with exceptional quality and product support from American companies *but* also some of my worst experiences in quality and support was also with an American company.

Now if you want to talk about quality... I can say for a fact that the build and finish of the Culinarian is top notch. I looked at several of their preproduction units at the factory and even those had perfect seams and all the pieces fit together with great precision. Frankly, I don't really mind a bit of internal sharp sheet metal like I saw on my Bluestar but I have to say, the attention to detail on the Capital ranges, even under the covers, is refreshing. Kind of like a good dove-tail joint on a hand made piece of furniture. Most people won't even see it and many may not know or care what value it provides but it says to me someone really cared about what they do.

Back to the original question.. A 36" Subzero should not blow half of a 30k budget. A 48" sz has a street price of around 12-13k so 36" should be under 10k. If you go with the 60" range you'll be looking at another 12k or so. That's about 8-10k left for the rest. Not much since you'll want a decent hood but doable. Say 5k for hood system if you go 60" range. It'll be about 1k for a SZ beverage fridge and 1k (min) for a meile dw. 1.5k for speed oven. If I read your post correctly you won't need a wall oven if you get the 60" range. MW is up to you but count on $500-1500 for a built-in. That doesn't leave much for a warming drawer but then I haven't a clue what they cost. You can trim this here and there of course. Alternative is to go 48" which will knock about 3-4k off the range price and 1-2k off the hood price. That could easily get you a wall oven and warming drawer I think.

Good luck.

• yupkwondo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

davidro1 I'm interested in what you would do.

Heck with the budget I would do a SZ pro48, but 15k is hard to justify for a refrigerator.

After doing more research I am hesitantly probably going to go with a liebherr SBS241 48" (giving up my glass door)

• ontherocks
    13 years ago

Yupkwondo,
    The plans for your new kitchen is very impressive. The SubZero with the glass doors is a work of art, so I am crossing my fingers for you that you can get it in the budget.

Applianceguide, Anthony,
    Curious to hear what you are experiences in regards to the Culinarian that would lean you towards the Viking?

Regards

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

A 36" Subzero should not blow half of a 30k budget. A 48" sz has a street price of around 12-13k so 36" should be under 10k. If you go with the 60" range you'll be looking at another 12k or so. That's about 8-10k left for the rest. Not much since you'll want a decent hood but doable. Say 5k for hood system if you go 60" range. It'll be about 1k for a SZ beverage fridge and 1k (min) for a meile dw. 1.5k for speed oven. If I read your post correctly you won't need a wall oven if you get the 60" range. MW is up to you but count on $500-1500 for a built-in. Alternative is to go 48" which will knock about 3-4k off the range price and 1-2k off the hood price. That could easily get you a wall oven and warming drawer I think.

I echo amcooks sentiments here.

Range Hood - Look at Prestige,Independent,and Modern Aire. Look at their offerings. Give a call to the one you like the most to discuss your needs. Prestige places light bulbs in the middle to increase capture area but sacrifice a little lighting effiency.

Oven - 1)Gaggenau 2)Miele 3)Capital 4)Wolf 5)Electrolux if you want to save here to spend a little more elsewhere

Speed oven/Microwave - 1)Miele 2a)GE(Monogram)Advantium 2b)Electrolux

Microwave- Sharp Drawer

Warming Drawer - "Not super important" ditto. Match with whatever you got elsewhere

Dishwasher-1)Miele 2abc Asko Bosch KitchenAid

If anybody wants to find out about what Viking owners themselves have to say about their appliances look at the thread linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: viking - all owners please

• histokitch
    13 years ago

I have a pro48 and a cheaper plain stainless FP fridge in my laundry room. It is great. Mine was a floor model so was around the price of a regular 48" builtin. I downgraded to a 48" range from an existing 60" commercial range and LOVE the small oven. I don't think I've turned the big one on this summer. I really doubt you would need a third wall oven if you have a 48" range, unless you're a huge baker. My appliances including the hood were about 26k: range, 54" modernaire hood, fridges, 24" bev ctr (mine is sub zero because it was the only one that I could fit into the space and still access the shelves). I do not have a speed oven, just a cheapy m/w in a cabinet. I don't cook in a m/w so it was not important to me. My dw is a Miele optima. I only have one but would have loved to have space for two. I do not have a warming drawer. Used it in my last house fairly often, but not enough to take out storage in this relatively small kitchen.

• yupkwondo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Histokitch: This is what I need to hear, people who have made these decisions. I appreciate your input, I am rethinking my whole plan at this point...

Hmm a pro 48 would just be great, now to find a floor model.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

My post about Capital not being made in China was in response to a post that has been pulled.

Anyway, it looks like you are getting some great advice out here.

• histokitch
    13 years ago

I should have put this in my post but didn't think of it. Here is a link to pictures of my kitchen if you want to see the appliances in situ.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen album

• amcook
    13 years ago

histokitch,

This may seem like an odd comment since it's not appliance related at all but that's just about the nicest rug I've ever seen in front of a sink. Nice touch. Really stands out. I think there were appliances in there but didn't notice. :)

• downtowner
    13 years ago

Both the advantium and each of the Gaggenau double ovens we have can serve as a warming oven. In the Advanitium set the microwave to 1. In the Gaggenau's, there's a setting for warming oven. We love the Gaggenau's. I'm cooking a chicken on the rotisserie right now.

We have Subzero, but only because of the double compressor. Today we would look seriously at Liebherr

Our Miele dishwasher is infinitely superior to our Bosch.

• downtowner
    13 years ago

I might add that we have a top of the line Miele, but almost never use the advanced settings.