Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction

Posted by eandhl (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 7:17

Can anyone that used a portable induction plate and now have induction cooktop compare the two. In a public kit the range doesn't have the power to boil water very quickly. I wonder if a portable induction unit would be beneficial. I just read a review that they do not compare to an induction range.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction

A portable induction unit works on 120v.
A cooktop works on 240v so everything else being equal, it can do more with four burners and do it faster.
Portable units work best when a smaller, covered, frying or saute pan is used and some amount of liquid is involved, because the energy is concentrated in a circle near the center of the pan.

o

Thanks, obviously not what I was looking for then but I appreciate the information.

o

You have to compare wattage. The counter top units max out around 1800w. This might be about the same power as the smaller hobs on a range. The larger hobs will usually have more power, maybe even twice as much.

o

laat and weed are right - people who have tried the portables report that they don't boil water as fast as a full induction cooktop. I'm afraid that if you're looking to boil lots of water fast, it's still not magic, even with a powerful induction range or cooktop. My induction cooktop, on boost on the 11" hob, takes about 8-9 minutes to bring to a boil 8 quarts of cold water in a 12 qt pan (I try to start with hot water usually). But it takes less than a minute to boil a couple of inches of water on a smaller hob. Does that help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here