Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barryv_gw

looking for Range with auto light, not auto reignite burners

barryv_gw
11 years ago

I am looking to replace a Viking range that is on its last legs. One feature it has is that to light any of the cooktop burners, you turn the knob from off to whatever setting you want, say medium, and it clicks, lights the burner, and stops clicking. There is no need to turn it to a LITE position, before you start cooking. It may sound like a little thing, but I have gotten used to it, and want it for the replacement. I have found a number of ranges that have auto reignite, which I assume means if the flame goes out, it will automatically re light the burner, but have had trouble locating ranges with auto ignite. I know the Wolf has auto ignite burners, and assume Viking does as well, though I am not going there, is there anyone else that makes a range with this feature? I am not sure if DCS models had this feature in the past, but the current ones do have a LITE position.

Comments (11)

• tyguy
    11 years ago

My bluestar does not have a LITE position, all burners will lite in any position.

Can I ask why your viking is on its last leg? I would think that those things can almost always easily be repaired especially AG units. However I did own a viking and now a bluestar, and would not go back.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

A range with "auto-reignite" will generally light in any position that the knob is turned to.
    That's the purpose of re-ignite feature, that it will even ignite the flame on a setting as low as the simmer.
    It's also one of the best safety advantages that a gas range can have. If the flame blows out you won't have raw gas continuing to flow into your kitchen because the re-ignite system will recognize the flame is missing and relight the burner with-in seconds.

• weissman
    11 years ago

I just checked out my DCS range. It does have a lite position but once you turn the knob past that point the ignitors start clicking and it will light in any position including simmer. Can you explain why this is a big deal to you.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    11 years ago

ALL ranges have auto ignite. Generally you make a 1/4 turn left or right it will spark and you have fire.

• barryv_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Viking is a dual fuel and the hinges are failing. They don't open all the way, and won't hold the door closed - I have fabricated a cabinet door catch to keep it closed, without that, when you close the oven door, it sags open a few inches. I checked online and with a repair man, but Viking no longer offers replacement hinges, and there are no adjustments to the hinges. I don't know any way to fix the door not opening fully. As to why I want the auto lite, it is just a silly convenience, I am so used to just turning it to what ever position I want, instead of turning it to a lite position, waiting to have it light, then turning it back to another position. I fully understand it is a somewhat silly requirement, probably not the only silly requirement I have. Glad to hear it works that way on other ranges, though not sure why they would have the LITE position, especially since some makers, like Wolf, don't have a lite position, or tell you to turn the knob to that position, where others, such as CC, tell you to turn to the LITE position until the flame starts.

• jscout
    11 years ago

Here's a video of a CC that lights when the knob is turned directly to medium, skipping the LITE position. Regardless of why this feature is important to you, any auto reignite burner will behave this way. Some may click once and others may click a few times. But once lit, they usually stop clicking. The behavior of your current Viking is auto reigniting.

Here is a link that might be useful: CC igniting past LITE setting.

• barryv_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jscout, thanks for the video. CC is now on the list.

• tyguy
    11 years ago

My bluestar does not have a LITE position, all burners will lite in any position.

Can I ask why your viking is on its last leg? I would think that those things can almost always easily be repaired especially AG units. However I did own a viking and now a bluestar, and would not go back.

• tyguy
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post. My smartphone sometimes does this to me.

But now that I'm here...kinda sucks about your hinges. The hinges are one of the only things that I can think of that could fail and not be replaced by some sort of generic or after market part. As for spark modules, ignitors etc there are a lot of options. I doubt the burners themselves would ever need replacing. As people have said, it seems as tho pretty much any gas range made currently will fit your requirement for liting in any position. Actually come to think of it, I usually lite my burners somewhere between med and low as I often lite them while there is a pot on top and liting on the lower setting is a bit less dramatic. (No poof)

Good luck in your search.

• amcook
    11 years ago

I think the confusion is if you are only looking at pictures rather than hands on with a live range, some ranges will have a "ignite" or "lite" marked on the dial at the max position where as some don't. As others have said, auto "re-ignite" will lite in any position by definition. Almost all, if not ALL, modern ranges have this feature. The irony of this is I will bet that manufacturers put the "lite" marking on the dial to prevent the calls from customers use to older style ranges asking, "where do I turn the dial to lite it?"

• jscout
    11 years ago

There's also the possibility that some confusion comes from portable stoves, gas grills and the like that don't have a source of electricity. Those appliances usually rely on a piezo switch where turning the knob to the lite position is the only way to get a spark.