Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
counter depth refrigerator door swing calculation

Posted by karyn (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 6:30

We just bought a house that has a very high end LG fridge that sticks out about 10" from the counter!! :-(

The ACTUAL counter edge to wall measurement is only 25".

So we're shopping around for a true counter depth model to replace the incorrect one they left behind.

What I can't comprehend is "door swing". We want the door to be able to open all the way and lay flat to the counter - not bump into the counter and only partially open.

The full size spec sheet of a GE model we think may work is linked below
BUT - we have no clue how the hinges work - how door swing works.

What SHOULD we be looking for - and does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? From my limited searches (UNDER $2000) this GE model is the shallowest depth available on the market - which I think is what we need due to the above mentioned 25".

The attached DEPTH (LESS DOOR) spec of 23-7/8 has me a bit concerned and confused too... :-/ But also there has to be a bit of clearance behind so maybe this one is OK???

If we got this exact one - would it hit the counter when we opened it????? :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: GE 22.7 cu ft Side-by-Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator Model #: GSCS3PGXSS

This post was edited by karyn on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 6:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: counter depth refrigerator door swing calculation

A counter depth refrigerator will actually stick out a little beyond the counter. Just the thickness of the doors. This allows for the doors to swing open to their fullest extent without bumping into the cabinetry on either side. A built-in is installed with the fronts of the doors even with the cabinet fronts. They have specially designed hinges that allow the doors to move away from the body of the fridge as they swing open.

Keep in mind that counter depth fridges have smaller capacities than their regular depth cousins of the same width. Check cubic footage.

o
RE: counter depth refrigerator door swing calculation

We ended up buying - GE 22.7 cu. ft. Counter Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator (GSCS3PGX) - even though this is not a "Profile' model it's really nice.

Our counters are 25" depth total - so it worked out well. The doors actually swing out a bit as you open them. They do not lay flat at 90 degrees but open very wide for easy access.

With about 1" behind for the extras, against the wall the fridge body end sits right at about 25" - (where the seals begin) At that point it goes to 27.5" where the front of the door is (not counting handles. It's a very good fit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here