Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

Cleaning black appliance, UGH.

tinker1121
9 years ago

I love my new black Kenmore 5 burner gas range but keeping it clean is not fun at all. Makes me not want to cook and it is stressful to know I have to remove the three large heavy grates and clean up the spatters almost each time I cook.

I wipe with soapy water then rinse with clear water, then dry and just time consuming.

After doing a search on cleaning black appliances I found these range cleaning cloths from E-cloths and ordered immediately. I have faith they will work. (I already use their window cleaning clothes and for those with stainless appliances they make a cloth to clean ss as well).

Any other tips on how you clean your black ranges, dishwashers and refrigerators would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: E-cloths for range and stovetop

Comments (12)

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

I use a mixture of 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water in a spray bottle...just spray it down after cooking and wipe it up. Let sit for a few minutes if there is a lot of splatter. The benefit is the vinegar gives you a nice steak free shine with the black finish. Works so well that new owners that purchased my house with 14yo black appliances only thought they were a couple years old! HTH

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I will give that a try.

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

I use a mixture of 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water in a spray bottle...just spray it down after cooking and wipe it up. Let sit for a few minutes if there is a lot of splatter. The benefit is the vinegar gives you a nice steak free shine with the black finish. Works so well that new owners that purchased my house with 14yo black appliances only thought they were a couple years old! HTH

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I wonder why it is that when I've tried cleaning with vinegar it is totally useless as a cleaner? I buy the Heinz brand cooking type vinegar, are you buying the cleaning strength vinegar? I see people rave about cleaning with vinegar and so far, every recipe I've copied has been useless as a cleaner!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Are you using this mixture to spray the grates-of a gas stove? If so, it's about cleaning grates versus cleaning a smooth surface, no? Black grates?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

arkansas_girl, you should be cleaning with Distilled White Vinegar.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I tried the vinegar/water trick on my black stove yesterday, and it worked like a charm. No streaks! It also works on stainless appliances, and certainly a lot cheaper than specialty products.

GW scores yet again.

• bulldinkie
    9 years ago

I have a black aga I use window cleaner

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just tried the vinegar and water on the stove and WOW. I sprayed it on and wiped with a dry dish cloth and got the grease, slight spots and then buffed with microfiber cloth. I did the fridge too and shines like a mirror.

Warning to those with black appliances, DO NOT use paper towels on them. I scratched the panel on my microwave and also have swirls on my fridge from it. I always cleaned my bisque appliances with paper towels and thought nothing of it and really disappointed with the fine scratches it left. (that is why they tell you not to use paper towels or tissues on your eye glasses!)

Thanks very much for the tip!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I have to chuckle at how some are just now discovering the vinegar/water cleaning solution. My mom used it in the '50s, and I'm sure she learned it from her Mom :)
    I've used some ratio of the formula my whole life on just about everything....

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Same here, ctycdm!

One of my jobs as a kid was to clean the storm door glass and bathroom mirrors with vinegar/water and newspapers. That was over 20 yrs ago!

• lucky123
    9 years ago

On the new refrigerators, what is that surface, automotive paint?
    I wonder if the refrigerators can be waxed with the same hard carnuba waxes used on cars?
    Would that protect the surface?