Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderlver

smoothtop electric ranges question

lavenderlver
11 years ago

I'm currently looking at two electric smoothtops. The first is a Samsung NE595R0ABSR and the other is a GE JB705STSS.

They both have a power boost type burner with the Samsung's speced at 17,000 BTUs and the GE's at 3,000 watts. Does that make sense to you? That would make the GE around 10,200 BTUs if I'm figuring correctly? It seems like a huge difference for a boost burner. FWIW, the GE is a couple hundred dollars more.

Also, would like to hear any comments, if anyone is familar with these ranges.

Comments (6)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Actually, it is not really much difference when you take into account the difference in the efficiency with which heat is delivered to pans. You figured how to convert Kilowatt-Hours to BTU/Hours. But, when using a gas burner, only about 40% of the rated heat is actually going into the pan. (And, by the way, the BTU-hr rating is measuring how much energy is being consumed rather than measuring the actual output of the gas burner.) The 60% of the heat that does not go into the pan gets radiated out and around the pan into the room, etc. And, depending on what pan you use, your altitude above sea level, etc, it may be as low as 30%. If memory serves, a radiant electric burner puts somewhere around 60% to 65% of the heat into the pan with the rest going elsewhere.

Using these percentages, that 17,000 btu/hr gas burner is likely giving you only 6800 BTU/hrs of effective heat. The 3000 watt-hr (10,200 BTU-hr) radiant burner is giving you something like 6630 BTU-hrs. of effective heat. If I recall correctly, coil burners are thought to be somewhere around 70% to 75% efficient while induction burners are thought to be about 84% efficient (though some makers claim 90%). If you check out the link below, it may lead you to more information on this.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Induction Site info

• dan1888
    11 years ago

GE also makes a smoothtop induction range you may want to consider. The benefits are no baked and burnt on residue, near instant heat control from simmer to full power and the surface does not heat up the pan does. I would not consider radiant because of maintenance and performance. Even gas does not match up.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Induction Slide-in

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you JW, what you wrote makes sense. As I'm leaning towards the GE, it's good to know it's won't be a dud in the sear department :)

Thanks for the induction recommendation Dan, and I hear you on radiant's maintenance. I'll definitely give induction consideration.

Your responses were greatly appreciated!

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

I also think induction is great choice but it may be out of the budget range and budget has to be considered.

The Samsung and GE stoves that lavenderlvr has listed will be selling for $650 to $750 this labor day weekend. The least expensive induction range I know of is the new (to the US) Samsung NE695 which I think is going to be something like $1250 at Best Buy this labor day weekend. The Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid induction ranges run around $1500 to $1900. The GE freestanding induction (the Consumer Reports highest rated stove ever) is going to be $2200 at AJ Madison and $2500-$2600 at many other retailers.

Except for the retro-Jetson/robotic styling, I like the GE induction ranges but they are out of my budget. I've been dithering over a Samsung NE697 which has (for me) a better burner layout than NE695. But it is still pushing my budget.

Can you tell I've been shopping for a stoves? ;>)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Just ran across an HH Gregg website which lists the Samsung NE595R0ABSR as having a 17,000 btu/hr burner, and now I understand lavenderlvr's confusion.

Looks to me as though somebody at HH Gregg inadvertently pulled the tag ines from a Samsung gas stove (some of which, in fact, do have 17,000 btu/hr. burners).

In the US, electric burners are rated/specced in KwH (or sometimes just watts) while gas burners are rated in btu/hrs. If you see BTU/hrs. used with electric stoves or KwH used with gas stoves, somebody screwed up the specs.

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the clarification JW and good luck with your range decision!