Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Inexpensive island range hoods with EXTENSION

karyn
10 years ago

Does anyone have experience (actually found and installed) with a Telescopic stainless steel chimney cover extension for one of the many many many budget models of island range hoods? If so - what model hood/extension combo?

We are looking at getting one the of ~$350 range hood models (Ebay/Amazon) - but none so far make it easy to find a compatible extension to accommodate a high ceiling (10-11' in our case)

The "stock" hoods all only go up to 8-9' ceilings.

The thing is - 90% of all island hoods look like they all come from the same factory. So a brand like Cavaliere is identical in appearance - just $500 higher in price. So it raises the question - will the easily found Cavaliere extension fit one of these "other" hoods.

Extension for high ceiling -

Generic 30" hoods on Amazon -

Is there such a thing as a "Universal" stainless steel range hood extension?

Hasn't ANYONE ever had a high ceiling before and used a budget island hood? This should be really simple, but it's actually quite obtuse and mysterious. :-/

Comments (14)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

One solution for you is to bring the ceiling height down over the island to help define it in the space. That's usually a modern aesthetic, with lighting in it, but I think it's adaptable to a transitional vibe as well.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are all awesome! However, they actually attempted to do this, in this house - but it's hideous. As a result, we are demolishing the "cloud" soffit (in pic) and bringing the hood down from above.

One reason it won't work is the kitchen is already "divided" from the family room by a peninsula which has a lower ceiling over it which also carries a track with a pocket door to close off the view of the kitchen from the family room (1960's mentality though the house was built in '94.)

The pillars will be rebuilt as they carry gas and electric down from the attic, but the rest of this mess can go away. for a sense of scale - the island itself is 18' long. It's a BIG kitchen but fragmented by this very low soffit. (the bottom of it is probably only just over 6' from the ground)

This post was edited by karyn on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 12:18

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

I am puzzled by what I see in that photo. Where does that hood vent to now?

If nobody turns up the info you want, you might look into having a "chimney" (or an extension) fabricated at local metal-working shop. The reason everything looks like it came out of one factory is that these things are pretty easy make.

Also, have you posted this over in the kitchens forum? Might be lots of help for design problem like this.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Oh. That's weird.

How about asking a local metal shop?

Or, if you're already redoing the pillars (and your kitchen thanks you in advance), perhaps a complementary structure coming from the ceiling that isn't goofy? Have you taken this to the kitchen forum yet?

• Pamela Crane
    10 years ago

I have 12-ft. ceilings and no ventilation at present, so I have been researching this issue. Extensions for taller ceilings exist. I found one Artemis product at build.com that has an optional extension for 12 ft. ceilings. It is for a wall mount, and you want an island mount. A salesperson at a high-end appliance showroom told me the Zephyr line has extensions for a 12-ft. ceiling. However, she quoted me almost $1000 for the set-up. I also heard bad reviews for the model (Savona).

Looks to me like you will need to cut a new hole in your roof and ceiling for the vent duct, unless you move the cooktop to an outside wall and can vent it horizontally.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Extensions for taller ceilings exist. I found one Artemis product at build.com that has an optional extension for 12 ft. ceilings. It is for a wall mount, and you want an island mount. A salesperson at a high-end appliance showroom told me the Zephyr line has extensions for a 12-ft. ceiling. However, she quoted me almost $1000 for the set-up. I also heard bad reviews for the model (Savona).
    Looks to me like you will need to cut a new hole in your roof and ceiling for the vent duct, unless you move the cooktop to an outside wall and can vent it horizontally.

Yes, the expensive hoods do have extensions - expensive extensions - surprise!!!!

Cutting a new hole in the ceiling is the plan, which is very basic, Building 101 - however there is no need to cut a new hole in the roof when the existing hood vent is already in the attic and going out through the roof - (assuming it was done to code). Plumb it up through that. Simple! :-)

I will post back on this adventure as I eventually source out the island hood and extension combo. A pre-made one that fits certain hood models has to be less expensive than hiring a metal shop to make one, especially since it needs to be stainless steel to match.

I'm not sure how the telescoping chimney's out there actually look in person. Websites like HOUZZ only show island hoods that cost $10,000. lol I have to think it's high up enough that no one is going to focus on the seam.

• willtv
    10 years ago

The chimney is just a decorative covering.
    As others have suggested, you're probably best off having a local metal fab shop create the chimney for you.
    As for the hood, get what ever you think is best, but install at least an 8" duct in case you decide to upgrade later.

• gigelus2k13
    10 years ago

Karyn,

Willtv is right, you spend too much time worrying about the chimney cover. The hood itself actually ends where it meets the duct; its function depends on what's below that junction.

The chimney cover is just that, a cover. It serves no purpose except hiding from view the ugly duct. If you want to keep the "stainless steel straight to the ceiling" look, any metal shop could do a one-piece cover, cut to precise dimensions. No need to agonize about extensions.

• joba4257
    10 years ago

Except in an island hood application the extension also supports the hood. I agree the cover is not an issue however the support structure I would want done by someone who has a clue.

• Pamela Crane
    10 years ago

Karyn, check out therangehoodstore.com. They have chimney extensions available for up to 12 ft. ceilings. along with some very reasonably-priced hoods. I first saw these as "Z-Line" on Amazon.

The extensions cost around $200, but the finish and color will match the hood. On the other hand, a local metal fabricator would probably charge less and may be able to make the chimney without seams. You might call a fab shop before deciding and get a quote.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The cheapest approach here (If you're handy!) would be to buy an island insert, and then do your own covering over your DIY frame. You could do stucco or copper sheeting, or a faux finish. Or wood. Lots of possibilities when you DIY it.

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I think in our case, a stainless steel finish is going to look the best, so will check out fabricators locally if I'm still struggling with finding a matching extension.

As far as I can tell, the design of these mostly are integrated hoods/chimneys - meaning the hood is supported/hanging from the chimney. We are hiring contractors to remove and repair that "floating cloud soffit". I'm sure they could build a frame, and custom cover it with stainless, but at what expense? I'm guessing probably more than the $200-300 extension, though worth asking. Maybe they could just build a short frame piece (the extra 1-2' extension) and drywall finish in ceiling white - to meet up with the stock hood.

On function - I can't emphasize enough how very little this matters to us. If there even is a building code for this, all we want to do is barely comply.

I did just read today however that some places recommend buying a larger size hood than the actual cooktop! We have a 30" cooktop and were planning on buying the 30" hood. :-/ Some also say maximum distance from the cooktop to hood - 36" - so the bottom of the hood would then be 6' off the ground (on a 3' counter) - enough for most tall people to see under which would be nice since our whole family is tall.

therangehoodstore were expensive ($550) compared to Amazon and Ebay - under $300 on Ebay, and what they sell looks identical.

This one goes to almost 48" height finished SS duct - probably close enough to go without any extension?
    If so that would be excellent! Probably going to buy this one right now before it disappears.

Did you notice they have the buttons/display on the wrong side in all of these kitchen photos? ha ha I'm sure it's just to show you what the face looks like installed, but I thought it was odd.

• coventgardens
    8 years ago

Just visiting to show the "after" result. This particular Ebay hood ended up being stock - with no extra extension necessary. Big difference in the before and after!