Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wok1_gw

36' Bluestar drop in open burner vs Capital Maestro sealed?

wok1
12 years ago

Looking for the best "drop in" 36 inch gas cook top for wok and simmering features to replace my Dacor 36" 4 burner gas cook top. I prefer the drop in style due to cost, and less cabinetry and stonework involvement.

Bluestar:

Pros:

open burner

22,000 BTU (2 burners) and simmer burner

better configuration of burners (easier to put

wok on one side and large pot on other)

Cons:

harder to clean (no pull out tray)

may lose drawer space

non contiguous grates

ignition/service issue?

more expensive but manageable

Capital:

Pros:

center wok burner (20,000) BTU and simmer burner

easier to clean

clean lines with contiguous grates

can keep drawer space

less expensive

Cons:

sealed burners

configuration (if use wok, can't use another big pot

at the same time)

Any suggestions? I saw the Bluestar drop in at a local appliance dealer, and was impressed with it's professional look and open burners. I visited the Capital factory and was amazed with their workmanship/fit and finish. I love Capital's range (I saw their new dual gas cooktop/electric oven prototype), but it is cost prohibitive. Both Blue Star and Capital have incredible open gas burners!

In my case, I guess the main issue is Bluestar's open gas burners vs. Capital's sealed burners for wok/simmering cooking?

Thanks, meeting with our cabinetry person soon, and need to select our cooktop.

Comments (11)

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I would go with the open burner configuration. But I am confused by your post - you said "drop in cooktop". Just want to check whether you are talking about rangetop or cooktop. Your statement about "less cabinetry and stonework involvement" would apply to a rangetop, not a cooktop. A rangetop is the style with the knobs on the front, just like a range, except without the oven. A cooktop is the style with the knobs on top. The countertop needs to be cut specifically for a cooktop, and if you change out the cooktop in the future, the new cooktop may not fit in the existing cutout. A rangetop on the other hand, would be 36" wide, and does not need a special cutout other than a straight edge on either side like you would for a range. Also, it sounds like you favor an open burner, and I had thought Capital was producing an open-burner rangetop. So can you clarify, or even better, provide us with model numbers of the two appliances you are considering.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

I have a CC range myself, that being said, if the CC rangetop is out of your budget, I would take the BlueStar hands down over any sealed burner cooktop, especially because you mention wok cooking.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

You will not be able to use the drawers under the unit which ever you pick, so the decision becomes easy.... Bluestar.....

• wok1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bluestar makes the only open burner cooktop (drop in style) model RBCT365BSS, but also open burner rangetops. Capital makes a sealed burner cooktop (drop in style) Maestro series, and also makes open burner rangetops.

I prefer the cooktop (drop in style) since it would require less work to replace my existing Dacor cooktop. My local appliance store will install the Bluestar for free, including granite cutting. Also the cooktops are much cheaper then the rangetops.

Thanks everyone, sounds like the Bluestar is the way to go!

• amcook
    12 years ago

I actually owned the BS drop-in and it was great. It wasn't the easiest to clean but it also wasn't that bad. The only pain was having to remove all the grates *and* the knobs to lift the top. That said, I wouldn't have traded it for any sealed burner cooktop. I looked at the Capital and the power wok burner but the sealed powerwok suffers the same problem as every high powered sealed burner I've seen... it spreads the heat to widely. I demo'd both prior to buying the BS and the powerwok burner had all the heat going up the sides of the wok and the center wasn't getting much heat at all. I don't think they've redesigned that burner significantly so I wouldn't recommend it if you are really serious about wok cooking. If you get the BS, get an extra grate so you can modify it to accept a wok without the wok ring. Also, the grates on it are continuous, unless you have a different definition of that than I do.

There are a couple of things with the BS to make it better:

1. get the extra grate and modify it.

2. ask if they will replace the rear center and rear left burner to simmer burners. They come with the 15k burner but it looks like they used the same 9.5k orifice they use on the simmer burner. If I recall correctly, this was due to fire certification because they didn't want to put a 1" back on it.

3. make sure you get the "white-glove" warranty extension. Not sure if they still offer that but you get an extra year and a BS tech out to check things out.

4. open up the top first thing and put foil under the burner bowls. I used foil to form little catch cups that I put into the support riser to the burners. Bits of food and liquid that fall down the center hole of the burner will fall into this area that is almost impossible to clean without slicing your hands. The catch cup prevents the need to get your fingers way down there. You'll know what I mean once you get in there.

IMHO, there's nothing else on the market today that can even come close to the BS if you are looking for a drop-in cooktop. As a consumer, I'd love to see another player enter the market here... hint.. hint..

BTW, the comment about loosing drawer space is because the open burner design of the BS make it vertically thicker/deeper. The BS extends about 2-3 inches lower below the counter top than average sealed burner cooktops.

Good luck with your decision.

• wok1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks amcook!

I thought continuous/contiguous burner meant connecting, not separate individual burners. The rear left and central burners are 8,500 BTUs and the rear right burner is simmer. What is the BTU of the simmer burner? Could they convert one back burner to 15,000 BTU?

Also, Amcook what range hood did you have with your BS? I will probably replace my 42 inch (45 year old) cabinet undermount VAH with an island mount 42 inch VAH.

• amcook
    12 years ago

I thought maybe that's what you are referring to. I may be wrong but most people refer to any grate system where there is not a significant gap between the grates as "continuous". The whole purpose being if you can slide a large stock pot across the grates without fully lifting it, then it's "continuous". I usually call what you are referring to as a one piece grate or multi burner grate. Personally, I prefer separate grates for each burner.

The simmer burner is just a burner without holes down the "fingers" of the burner. The orifice used on the simmer burner appeared to be exactly the same as that used with the other two. In order to convert the rear center and rear right burners to 15k, you'd have to get them to send you the 15k orifices which they may not be willing to do. If you talk to your dealer, they may be able to order a couple as spare parts and then sell it to you at cost. It will require you to replace the orifices which is a bit more involved than replacing burners.. though not by much.

Sounds like you are setting up the exact same configuration as I had. Island VaH with a cooktop underneath. Personally, I didn't like the VaH due to difficulty cleaning and noise. At first it was ok but over time it just became more and more difficult to live with. Also with an island or peninsula configuration, I would recommend oversizing the hood as much as you can. A 45"x27" or even 45"x30" wouldn't be out of the question. The reason is, all four sides are exposed and subject to cross breezes. Large capture and containment area and volume will help greatly. I would also over power the blower a bit. At least 1200cfm since you do a lot of wok cooking.

Good luck.

• wok1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Amcook!

VAH has a new "easy clean" feature, which we will probably order, which is basically a pull out tray. We are sold on the "fire" safe feature of the VAH. I see you have a modernaire, how is that brand? We are converting our undermount vent to island.

Thanks for the advise on the 15k orifice!

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

While I am openly not a lover of the Vent a Hood system, one thing I will say is that the Fire safe message is rubbish....

If I recall correctly Vent a Hood say that due to the system the hood employs they have never had a fire in a duct run in a residential home, which i do agree sounds very impressive. I am 100% sure that is correct. I am also 100% sure that nobody else has ever had a fire in a duct run.

So I would put that down to a marketing message as opposed to something to consider when selecting a hood to go above your new range top or cooktop.

• amcook
    12 years ago

Actually, I have a Prestige. If I had to do over today, I'd probably go with MA. They make some nice hoods and come in a variety of depths.

Based on my experience, properly cleaned baffle filters are every bit as safe as the VaH system. Most of VaH fire safety marketing is comparing itself to mesh filters which can be dangerous because they are prone to poor cleaning and they hold grease in the exhaust path. With baffles and centrifugal grease removal, the grease is taken out of the airflow path.

I've seen more than my fair share of grease fires in the kitchen and have never seen a secondary fire start on a baffle (thank god). But without proper cleaning, ALL hoods including VaH will pose a fire danger no matter what they claim.

• wok1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Amcook and Trevorlawson,

I went to see the Modern-Aire island range hood today and was quite impressed on the quality of the baffle compared to other top brand baffles. For better capture, does it matter with Modern-Aire to get the canopy or flat contemporary style? How is the motor on the Modern-Aire, quiet? I am use to the Vent-a-hood noise.

Decided on the Bluestar drop in.