Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannaknow1

Experience and Opinions in buying a floor model

wannaknow1
9 years ago

I have read postings here by those who have gotten good prices on a floor model and so have been able to get a more expensive brand which might have not been considered otherwise.

I wonder what your experience is with buying an appliance that way. I have this mental image of a floor model on which all the buttons/dials/doors/options have been pressed (or punched or slammed), either by impatient kids, or by potential customers who want to see what this appliance 'feels like' to operate. Even if the customer was reasonably gentle, it seems the buttons would have experienced more contact than you might be giving it in your next year of use. I've seen people pressing buttons because the machines were lining the aisles that they were walking past. What impact does this have on the machine? It is not like a "small scratch" that you can see and make a reasonable judgment call. Does a store do anything above the regular warranty as they sell it to you? (I expect they do not.)

How much do stores usually discount these floor models? Is there a special time of year they do this, or do you just have to happen upon a floor sample sale?

What do you think about taking a chance on national retailers, such as Sears, that will sell something "slightly" or "damaged as noted" (maybe a return from a delivery?) from a warehouse in a different part of the country? Would you take a chance on buying it?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

We bought our Samsung induction range as a floor model. I don't even think it was ever turned on other than maybe the electronic controls. No one ever cooked in it, that's for sure. It was about half the price of a new one. We've had it a probably 3-4 years and no regrets. I believe it did come with a warranty, but DH wanted to buy the extended.

Really, it's the way to go, but you have to be lucky and find what you need. In our case, they were no longer carrying the induction model since they sold so few of them at that time.

The store we used had an "outlet' room, but you can go to places like Sears Outlet as well. I never really saw great deals at the Sears Outlet though.

Get to know the salespeople and regularly check out the locations. Sometimes like Sears they have them online.

• saeyedoc
    9 years ago

I just picked up floor model Miele ovens for 30% off. Haven't installed them yet, but they come with full warranty and I bought the 5 year extended warranty. The warranty doesn't start until they are installed. The store is even storing them for me until I'm ready for them.

• wannaknow1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

hvtech42, you've given me a lot of assurance. I think I was mostly concerned about damage from those with deliberately heavy hands or door hinges being twisted or now hanging on by a thread. Glass control panels should be a blessing.

gsciencechick, thanks for the encouragement that long term there were no effects. Going by regularly (there's that woman again - looks but never buys!) and getting to know the sales people is a smart idea.

saeyedoc, that is terrific. You wouldn't have happened to find them in NJ? The store is treating you very well. Enjoy them.

• julieste
    9 years ago

The last two appliances we have bought have been floor models, and both were purchased from our local, independent chain. And, the worries you are having never even occurred to us.

About a year and a half ago we bought one of the last of the open burner Wolf gas ranges before they changed to the closed burner. It had a couple minor scratches which we initially thought about trying to get off but forgot about as soon as we installed it. Yes, now that I think about it, I am sure the door probably had been opened quite a few times, but that is the only thing customers could actually "test drive" on the range.

A month ago I bought an ASKO dishwasher that had been put in place as part of a showroom's model kitchen. I suppose it too had had the door opened quite frequently, but it had never been connected to water and set up to run.

In both instances I was buying brands that are basically sold at MSRP and don't have sales. In both instances I think we paid somewhere between 30% to 35% less than we would have had to pay by ordering one in a box.

In the past I have also bought many closeouts, special buys, floor models, and slightly damaged items that were returned at the time of uncrating them because the homeowner (understandably) did not want to pay full price for an appliance that was not perfect. We have never had any regrets. And warranties are the same as getting one in the box. But, as someone said above, it does take more shopping time and work scouting these bargains out.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I bought an LG wall oven that was a floor model for our old house when we were turning it around to sell it. No regrets whatsoever. It was under half price, had very light use, and the only issue was that the glass heating element cracked (shipping problem?). A replacement was only $35.

• wannaknow1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

My dishwasher was installed in the original owner's home and they made Lowe's take it out because it didn't have heated drying.

I paid $200.00 for a week-old $600.00 dishwasher that dries dishes perfectly.

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Assuming it's getting delivered, not just walking out of the store with it, the one thing I'd recommend is getting the serial number of the appliance.

I had an odd experience: I bought a Bosch range and Bosch dishwasher, floor model. When they were delivered, the dishwasher I got was new in box, the range was not but was definitely not the range I had looked at because it was missing a scratch on the warming drawer which I had resigned myself to live with.

So in my case it ended up being a good thing, but I could see it going the other way, too.

For these two appliances I saved a few hundred dollars off of AJ Madison's prices, which I use as a reference point.

• wannaknow1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, did you think that you had any rights to return it (or use the warranty) if there had been something wrong with the dishwasher? I suppose Lowe's gave such a steep discount because it was 'used' and they needed to get rid of it. However, they probably only knew the reason the homeowner said for returning it. What if the homeowner had used it incorrectly and/or damaged it, but didn't tell Lowe's because they were afraid the store wouldn't take it back? On the other hand, one would expect the homeowner should have known what they were buying; that there was no heated drying. That is very good of Lowe's to take it back and make no profit or take a loss on it. I don't think you can tell Best Buy that you want to return a viewed DVD because you thought it would be different than it was. Nonetheless, good for you being in the right place at the right time and snatching a great bargain!

Foodonastump, that is something I never would have thought about. Do you think they also gave you a new dishwasher, not the floor model?

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

The DW was definitely brand new, even though I paid for floor model. Range, dunno where it came from. Was not in original packaging but looked flawless, from what I saw. More flawless than the floor model I signed up for.

In my case, the salesperson had me inspect the appliances on the showroom floor and note any damage I saw. Um, of course I saw "none" which makes me wonder how bright they are. (Here on GW they are often recommended, both as a local shop and mail order.) I was holding that scratch as a bargaining chip in case it came with some damage I hadn't noticed. Well, as it were, it came without that scratch as well, LOL!

• xrosie
    6 years ago

One particular experience we've had was an Amana refrigerator. This was probably 20 years ago . . . Needed new fridge, saw this Amana out on the floor. It was just what we wanted. We could see a spot had been soldered on the back. Got it for about 1/2 original price. Keep it for about 15 years til we moved and didn't need it in our new house. . . sold it.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

I just bought a new Samsung fridge about $800 off the normal price. It was a return, they sold it, delivered it and the ice maker didn't work. It was going to take 2 weeks to get the part so they took it back and gave the customer a new one. When the part came in the fixed it and put it on the floor on sale as a used/demo. It came with a full warranty and we bought the extended warranty. It is being delivered Monday!

• wannaknow2
    6 years ago

I was surprised to see this old thread revived!

Thanks, Strob06. Did they tell you the history of your fridge when you saw it on the floor? Maybe it pays to ask the history instead of assuming they were demo models which discontinued items or some other reason for the markdown. Enjoy your great find!

• xrosie
    6 years ago

I have a reverse experience as well. Some years ago we needed a TV, old school console. Went around and priced things found the one we wanted cheaper at a mom and pop place. For some reason, my husband had a feeling about them, he put a small mark on the back of the floor model. . . . even though they swore it would be out of the box. Sure enough, when it was delivered, it was out of the box . . . no box in sight. So, my husband looked at it -- floor model that he marked. We refused delivery. Oooooh, they were so mad, they had been caught! Beware out there! They always deliver new in a box.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

Wannaknow2 - they did tell me the history. It is probably good to ask, I think I would have assumed it was a floor model, but the salesperson offered up the history without me asking.

• wannaknow2
    6 years ago

XRosie, thanks! That is amazing. It's incredible the things we have to be aware of. I can just imagine them insisting it IS new but they took it out of the box to make it easier for everyone, then you telling them YOU made that unique mark on the back of the floor model. Would they scream and try to hold you responsible for 'defacing' or 'damaging' their goods?

Strob06, I agree, it is a good thing to ask the salespeople why that one is a floor model.

I've learned two new valuable things today!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

I've bought only scratch'n'dent or floor models for the past 30 years, always with a full warranty that covered any issues that arose after delivery. Most have worked perfectly -- only the most recent floor model stove needed adjustment for the thermostat, and we noticed after delivery that the produce drawer frame was broken in the refrigerator. Fixed without any problem. Sometimes they are missing a part or piece of trim -- which also have been covered under warranty, even though they are sold "as is".

The Sears Outlet in my town, I have noticed, will put used appliances out on the floor along with the damaged ones. The telltale sign is, they don't clean them! so you will see crumbs in the fridge and detergent residue in the dishwasher, or maybe an odd odor. I won't consider those.

• xrosie
    6 years ago

wannaknow2 Oh they absolutely stomp their feet but do they do. They were caught basically committing fraud. Trust me it was a pen mark or something little on the back panel corner . . . very slight.

• HU-243539608
    3 years ago

We bought a Kitchen Aid induction range oven from a local appliance shop floor model no box. They gave us a cook ware rebate for $800 worth of pot and pans. When I went to register for this they said I need the model and serial number. These numbers are missing from the oven. Did I get dooped? Is the oven safe? All the instruction papers are from 2014? The repair number is for the store itself?