Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which detergent for Kitchenaid dishwasher?

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 1:42

Just bought a KitchenAid dishwasher: KUDE60HXSS

Any recommendations out there for a good detergent to use with this DW? I prefer something eco-friendly.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which detergent for Kitchenaid dishwasher?

A lot people around here like this one below.

Method Smarty Dish Detergent - Pink Grapefruit -

o

In my KA I use Quantum Finish tabs and they work great - probably not considered eco-friendly but now that phosphates have been banned, all detergents are more eco-friendly than they used to be.

o

I use the Quantum Finish or Cascade Platinum in my KA. I will try the Method one mentioned, it will be interesting to see if it performs as well as the ones I use now.

This post was edited by Caya26 on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:05

o

I second the Method Smarty Tabs, but I like the unscented version. I don't like the Grapefruit, and prefer the unscented, but that is my personal taste. It's more important to know that the Method Smarty tabs do not contain bleach (I don't want the bleach smell when I open the DW door), and get my dishes clean. Note that I break the tabs in half most of the time, which has also been reported by other posters on this forum who use Method Smarty tabs. A good smack on the granite counter edge breaks them in half. Of course, breaking them in half also halves my cost, but besides that, people who use too much detergent, whether it's Smarty Tabs or something else, have reported whitish residue and etching on glasses and dishes. The manufacturers all recommend on their directions too much detergent, the better to sell more of it!

Other tips: scrape, but don't rinse the dishes. Also, turn on the hot water at the sink before running the DW, especially in winter. That flushes out the ice cold water from the pipes, so that the water going into your DW is hot from the get-go. I also use Jet-Dry, but the need for a rinse-aid depends on your water quality, so experiment with your DW. If you decide you like Method Smarty Tabs, you can buy them in bulk on Amazon for less than they sell them at Target.

Here is a link that might be useful: Method Smarty Tabs at Target

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here