Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with Bosch product line

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

I'm trying to understand the differences in the Bosch product line. Figure I'd get Bosch since the sales rep said they ran away with the Consumer Reports vs. Miele. The sales rep showed me a 300 series and an 800 series and said there was nothing in between. He seemed new to the job. I saw a 500 series online at Best Buy. What is the key difference between the series? How do the names of the dishwashers correlate with the series numbers (or do they)?

I want a setting to wash China. I only saw that the 800 Series had Glasses cycle whereas the 300 did not. My $500 GE dishwasher has a setting for China so I thought it odd that Bosch didn't unless its normal cycle is gentle enough for China. I would also like a Sanitize cycle and 3rd rack. I wonder if I need one with a gentle wash option as I often rinse my dishes since they sit in the DW for 3 days till it's full. (even though I'm reading just scrape) I don't really care about the noise level. I think they all have adjustable racks for wine glasses but I'm not positive. Are there any other features I should really look for?

Also, if I decide to put a panel on the DW to match my cabinets, does that mean I am limited to the Custom Panel model and 800 and 800 plus series. On the Bosch website only model SHV68TL3UC and SHV9ER53UC came up. We get our water from the city. Is there any way to tell if it is hard or soft?

Would love to be enlightened about the dishwashers.

Thank you!

This post was edited by CT_Newbie on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 1:11

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

You can make a strong argument that the Bosch is the better value.

You can even argue the Bosch has a more user friendly control panel .

The Bosch is really close to Miele when it comes to short term reliability if you take all the surveys done over the last 3-5 years not just cherry pick one.

And these are the reasons consumer magazines and organizations recommend Bosch. Not superior performance. Again taking them all into account not just one in particular.

The TOL 800 Plus is quieter than a Miele Diamond. For the same amount of money the Bosch will be quieter.

But when it comes to performance and long term durability it has hard to argue that the Miele is not a cut above.

There are a few that argue the made in Germany TOL Bosch 800 Plus with 39 db noise rating is just as good. I disagree. Particularly when it comes to the built-in water softener, glass care and vintage China. Miele is the only Riedel authorized dishwasher and if you are an oenophile you know that is high praise indeed.

In link are custom panel Bosch starting below $800.

The various models are a mish mash of options. Some 500 series have 800 series racks but without the water softener. The bottom of the line 800 has many options of the 800 Plus but not have the water softener either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch Custom Panel

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again Dee! You should create your own Consumer Reports type site.

I think in this instance, I'd prefer value and some of the other things you listed vs. top performance. My appliance dollars are running low now and my wine glasses aren't that fancy. I do think it odd that the sales rep said the 300s don't have a glass/China function.

At any rate, thanks for your help

• lee676
    10 years ago

800 and 800 Plus have some different internals to produce less noise.

Bosch recently revamped their US-made dishwashers so that the all-stainless-tub models now are about 1-1/2" deeper front-to-back rather than conforming to the slimmer depths required by European cabinetry. The very top of the line model is imported from Germany and still used the shallower tub, and I think the low-end Ascentia models with the plastic inner base do as well.

• nanj
    10 years ago

Original poster asked, is there any way to tell if city water is hard or soft? Yes, your water supplier should have that information either on their website or you can call. If you call they can likely tell you if it is considered hard or soft.

This is a link with a chart and an explanation of water hardness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water hardness chart

• nanj
    10 years ago

Original poster asked, is there any way to tell if city water is hard or soft? Yes, your water supplier should have that information either on their website or you can call. If you call they can likely tell you if it is considered hard or soft.

This is a link with a chart and an explanation of water hardness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water hardness chart