Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgordon424

Help replacing subzero 30" with another brand

lgordon424
10 years ago

My R211 subzero is 29 years old and I noticed a leak in the freezer when I saw a sheet of ice on the floor below the pull out shelf. When the repair person came, he said it couldn't be fixed: 1) the drain was probably clogged and there was no room in the kitchen to pull out the refrigerator to get to it and 2) the screws in the unit that the fan is housed in are all corroded and if they opened it, they couldn't close it. Since the compressor was fine and there wasn't an issue with freon, he suggested I put a container on the top shelf to collect the drippings so iI wouldn't get a frozen sheet of ice building up. Now I'm looking to replace it with another brand as a new one goes for $8000 and a floor model, if i can find one with a right hinge goes for $4950. Any suggestions that will fit in the 30" space?

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I can't find the specs on the R211.

How high is it?

30"x24"x ?

• xedos
    10 years ago

Not a lot of choices for 30" built ins - and most are $7,000 - $8000 !

30 years @ 8 grand is only $275 year.

30" that I know of off hand:

Miele
    Thermador Freedom.
    Sub Zero
    GE Monogram's new fully integrated offering
    Liebherr has or had a 30" for $4000 but no drawer freezer and not as well built as these others.
    Northland has a 30" too but it is a top freezer model
    Fhiaba

• kitchenkat
    10 years ago

I take issue with xedos' comment regarding Liebherr being "not as well built as these others". I own a Liebherr refrigerator/freezer and I find it to be built at least as well as the Sub-Zero it replaced. It also is very energy efficient and much quieter in operation.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I have a Liebherr 30", it has a two drawer freezer. I chose it over the 30" S-Z, and not because it was over 2k less, I just liked it better. Love it! ,... and no complaints

• xedos
    10 years ago

kat - you're certainly welcome to your issue - but I see em all just about every day and I can tell you emphatically that the Leibherr is a step down in quality.

Glass is thinner, drawer slides are less beefy and smooth, and the drawers don't extend as far, (and in some cases don't exist on liebherr drawers - you just get to ride on the bin plastic) , that plastic is flimsier, hinges less substantial, and on.

Now, is this an indictment of Liebherr ? Not really, it's a solid choice in a mid priced fridge - but that reduced cost is reflected in the product. SZ, Miele, Thermador, ect... are not pocketing and xtra $3,000+ dollars a unit in pure profit over Liebherr for the same thing.

Comparing a new fridge to an end of lifespan , or even a 5-6 year old model on energy and noise isn't really fair at all. Of course a new model is quieter and more miserly on the power, doesn't matter what brand you chose to compare.

Since I like cars , I'll give you a comparison: Mercedes is a fine car , but it's not AS well built as a Bentley. Doesn't cost like one either, and this is the same thing I'm saying about the fridges.

I'm sorry you inferred my assessment as a knock on Liebherr.

• HadesHounds
    10 years ago

Look into the Fhiaba-the interior is solid stainless steel, and has quite a few neat features. It reminds me of a more robust Miele. I was told it's in the same price range as the SubZero (will check tomorrow), and as best as I can tell, the warranty is just as good -12 years(feedback anybody??!!) I'm planning on calling Applied Luxury, which is the US distributor in the am (they're in New York-Buffalo?) to try to get some additional info myself. One really kick a*# feature-the bottom freezer can be turned into additional frig space!!! Oh-and it makes two kins of ice cubes-that would be CUBES, not wedges (important to the DH).
    Shelves that adjust without removing stuff, computer alerts, short cycle to bring back stuff inside to temp (SZ takes 48 hours, or at least that's how I'm reading their website), and plenty of interior lighting. Hope someone else has one so I can learn the pros and cons from a real person. Laura

• xedos
    10 years ago

The Fhiabas are so new to the market that you won't find many places that sell them. Fewer that actually have one up and running and even fewer people that have one in their home.

They are too new for the usual suspect to test one an opine on it also.

Given the price list I saw, it is easily the most expensive of the bunch.

If you don't mind being a guinea pig or like being the Jones, one might be for you.

• Thomas Vong
    4 years ago

Adding my experience with my Fhiaba:

I got my 24" Fhiaba panel ready wine fridge/column with glass door on top and single multi option drawer (can set to freezer, refrigerator or higher temp) delivered a week ago. Couldn't get it to get cool and didn't hear the compressor start. I was able to work from home and their warranty/service provider Adco Service support center in Phoenix was able to walk me through the setup menu and get the compressors to switch on from the standby mode it was in. Everything is looking good. They are also sending me a new adjustable front leveling foot that got damaged in transit/delivery.

I wanted to get the unit functional before doing a first impression writeup. My point of reference was a 30" 188-bottle capacity full size tri-zone/three compressor (!) Viking model in my last house. I'd been looking for something thinner for my new kitchen and this 24" model fit my spec needs. In terms of build quality, I'd say the Fhiaba is at least as well built as the Viking model I had. Though smaller in dimensions, it feels more solid than the Viking model. Maybe this is owing to the full steel interior. As the saying goes, it's a pretty impressive piece of kit.

This model only has two compressors versus the three in the Viking. The difference doesn't matter too much to me as the Viking had an annoyingly loud 'click' every time one of the three compressors switched back on to keep temp. The Fhiaba is significantly quieter than the Viking.

The keypad menu is not as responsive/sensitive as the one on the Viking, but this is not a deal breaker to me as I tend to set the temps in the three zones and Let It Be. The huge advantage of the Fhiaba feature-wise is the ability to turn the bottom drawer into a freezer. I don't have a dedicated high volume icemaker, so if I am planning to entertain, I can empty the icemaker in my regular freezer the night before into the Fhiaba drawer and between that and my freezer icemaker refilling that should give me a great option for ice on demand for cocktails for most good-sized parties.

One annoyance is the way the pull out wood drawers are constructed. There is a wood brace running perpendicular in the middle of each drawer that has a slight rise. What that does is makes it a little difficult to slide in some bottles to fully maximize the drawer space. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

Overall, the Fhiaba looks like a solid buy and very pleased with it and the service I have received so far.