Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Please help me pick an undersink filtration system

eleena
10 years ago

Yes, I have searched and read older threads (and did a Google search too) and it only made my head spin more.

I almost wish I bought one from Ferguson's four years ago and called it a day. Life was so much easier before GW, LOL.

It is not just about the taste. I want to remove as much harmful stuff as possible but I do not want RO (at least, not at the moment because it bothers me that all minerals get removed).

The choices seem limitless.

How did you choose yours?

(This is a cross-post from Kitchens but it probably belongs here more.)

TIA!

Comments (13)

• jakvis
    10 years ago

I know there are a lot of filters out there but I recomment the EverPure systems. They are easy to install and easy to use and switch out filters.
    Go with the H104. The everpure heads are all the same and if you want to go to a higher filter like the 300 all you do is buy that filter and screw it in.
    I have the H104 in my house and I'm satisfied with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: EverPure filters

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, jakvis!

What about H1200? Is it a lot more expensive? Is it worth it?

It seems to be the next "best" thing after RO in terms of removing things.

• jakvis
    10 years ago

The H1200 is very nice but it might remove too many minerals which is something you mentioned you did not like about the RO water.

I'm real happy with the 104 and some of my customers prefer the 300 but to tell you the truth I can't tell any difference in taste so I stick with the H104.

Like I posted before if you want to move up to the 300 after trying the 104 it's as simple as changing the cartridge. I havent tried but I think the 400 cartridge filter fits the same head that the 104 and 300 uses.

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Here is a link to the EverPure filter chart that will better explain what each filter will do

Here is a link that might be useful: Everpure filter chart

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Jakvis!

About RO and removing "too much":

I have seen a discussion when someone made a point that we don't really receive whatever elements we need from drinking water but mostly from food. Therefore, RO is not a problem.

I am not even sure how to find whether it is true.

Any thoughts about it?

• kaseki
    10 years ago

If the intent of retaining minerals is the belief that RO water is too pure to taste good, then there are post-RO re-mineralization cartridges that can be used. One example is shown in the link. Somewhere I've seen a variety tailored for specific purposes, but don't recall where. In any case, your RO system supplier should be able to advise you.

kas

Here is a link that might be useful: SpectraPure example

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Kas!

I had no idea. IDK why this is so hard for me.

I have researched everything else "to death" w/o any problems. I guess I have run out of steam. :-)

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

We too have the Everpure. Have been happy with it for over 25 years! Like jakvis, I usually get the H104 filter, though I have used the 300 on occasion, but can't tell any difference in taste. We use it for our drinking water, coffee, and tea, and the icemaker line is hooked up to it as well. I replace the filter once a year, and they are relatively inexpensive and easy to change.

• jfnewhouse
    10 years ago

I am looking at these too. Can anybody comment why the Everpure Exubera EV983050 will not ship to California?
    Any comments on the system?
    thanks!

• kaseki
    10 years ago

On the subject of obtaining nutrients from water: Some chemicals, such as fluoride compounds, can be absorbed by the body in sufficient quantities to be useful from water where it either naturally occurs or is injected by politicians. Fluoride is also present in tea. I prefer to make tea from RO water, and depend on tea and Crest for my fluoride dose (not at the same time).

I very much doubt that drinking a survivable quantity of Federally alkalized water would provide enough calcium to reach a significant fraction of the amount needed from food to avoid osteoporosis. I'm not sure if this is true for drinking from the most alkaline Western spring (not decorated by a nearby cattle skull). Trace chemicals not making it through an RO system will most likely be provided by food, or can be made up with mineral supplements if there is any doubt.

A 5-micron charcoal filter will remove chlorine compounds affecting taste as well as particles and perhaps bacteria. The RO system's primary useful function is removal of heavy metals and organic compounds that may be undesirable and perhaps unhealthy, and potentially capable of changing the taste of coffee or tea or other water-based concoctions. An RO membrane should also filter viruses, but note that good RO filters are only about 97% efficient, so there is always some leakage.

As an example of RO utility, removing chlorine and dissolved iron is helpful, because heating this pair of chemicals yields a black precipitate.

In any case, charcoal filters eventually slime up, so should be changed when they can't adsorb any more chlorine or after about 6 months even with minimal use.

RO membranes can probably last 1.5 years or so, given adequate pre-filtering.

kas

• billy_g
    10 years ago

I like the Everpure PBS-400 because it allows a flow rate of 2.2GPM so you can plumb it into your cold water line without having to put another hole in your countertop. We have one on our prep sink and another in our master bath for drinking water. It's a a great solution!

Billy

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Billy,

But wouldn't you be changing filters more often if you use filtered water to wash dishes and fruits/veggies? That would get expensive quickly, I'd think. Or can you turn the filter on and off easily?

I don't mind another hole in my countertop, so I have chosen to go with Everpure H-300. I explained the details in my other thread (see link below) if anyone is interested.

Thank you, Jakvis and everyone else, for help!

Here is a link that might be useful: My other thread about filters

• billy_g
    10 years ago

It's a prep sink so we wash dishes in the main sink. We do wash fruits and veggies etc. but I only change the filter once per year. The filter is made for this use. And the water flow is great so we don't have to wait forever to fill our glasses etc with filtered water.

It's not for everyone but it works well for us.

Billy