Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexhouse_gw

Are there side x side wall ovens on the market?

Alex House
11 years ago

I'm looking at these Falcon ranges from the UK and I like how they've engineered a lot into a relatively compact package.

What I've seen on the American market is basically this:

-48" side x side range.

-36" non SXS range

-30" non SXS range

-24" - 36" double wall oven, vertical

The Fagor 24" wall ovens could be mounted SXS by an installer.

What I'm interested in are either a SxS integrated wall oven, so not taking the Fagor route, or a 36" range, like the Falcons, that is available here.

I'm not current on the particulars of the appliance marketplace, so I ask, are such appliances available here and if so, who makes them?

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Verona VEFSGE365DSS

AGA Legacy ALEG36DFX

• Alex House
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I should have noted that I'm looking for induction rather than gas. The Falcon image was deceptive because it highlighted a gas model but most of their ranges comes in either gas or induction.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

There is no such induction model in the US.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You can do an induction cooktop and then do side by side wall ovens. There's an Ikea ad showing that. 36" divided in two doesn't give you very much room for either oven. You really need a 48" range to have two usable sized ovens, and even then, there is no electric induction range like that available. UK and American power supplies are different animals, and you would have to rework the traditional 40-50 amp range circuit to power such an induction beast. That's not to say that it couldn't be done, just that it's such an alteration as to how American homes are wired that there is no market for that as the retrofit would be extremely cost prohibitive, plus the cost of the range.

• Alex House
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of those European ovens crammed into a 36" range have a normal sized oven and then a "Tall Oven" next to it. Perfect for a large item in the normal oven and then a series of small casserole dishes stacked in the Tall Oven.

Cooks can certainly use two full sized ovens simultaneously but for many occasions it doesn't strike me as an efficient use of oven space - heating a large oven takes more energy than heating a small oven and small dishes don't need a large oven cavity.

What strikes me as odd is the following - there is clearly more diverse oven technology in play in the European market and that fact that this diversity persists strongly suggests that there are markets that are being served, year after year. Do those needs that underpin those European markets not exist in the US/Canada? I doubt that, which means that there are needs going unfulfilled in our market.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

Alexhouse,
    You got great advice in the several responses so far.

In this paragraph i can add more:
    " Cooks can certainly use two full sized ovens simultaneously but for many occasions it doesn't strike me as an efficient use of oven space - heating a large oven takes more energy than heating a small oven and small dishes don't need a large oven cavity."
    You don't need more than a 24" oven for a huge turkey. Really!
    ... As Sara the brit has pointed out too.

Whenever I have pointed this out in previous years, people post to say that "the fixings" need the space ... I guess I don't cook a lot of potatoes.

I would get two side opening Fagor ovens and a $999 ikea induction cooktop. Using all the money left over in my budget, I would get my quartz countertop routered to let the induction cooktop sit flush with the surface, countersunk.

Hth

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    11 years ago

FWIW, the usual way I deal with the 'fixings' is to put them in the oven while the turkey is resting on the side - it needs at least 30 mins, and will stay very hot. That's more than enough time for par-boiled roast potatoes (i.e. they're hot when you put them in the oven, already), and anything else. Not to mention, I do the potatoes and roast carrots and parsnips at 400F, which is far too hot for the turkey. . . .

I used that Falcon stove for 5 weeks this summer, in the UK, and the 'tall' oven was intriguing - it had a rack you could use to warm plates, standing on their sides, just like in a dishwasher. Lots of different racks for different uses, easily stored in a drawer when not needed. I baked bread in both ovens, as an experiment. Equally good results in either.
    While I loved having the separate grill (broiler), it was infuriatingly small though. Most UK double oven stoves have the small 'weekday' oven above the larger oven, with the broiler in the top oven, using the whole area. This one was only half the depth.
    On the other hand, European broilers always seem to have the option of only heating half the broiler (they have two elements) when only a small area is needed. Again, fuel economy and environmental benefits.