Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling kitchen

Posted by bernil (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 0:09

We've downsized to a smaller home built in 1974. No renovations have been done, and the kitchen is an enclosed room with old appliances. We are knocking down a wall, and replacing EVERYTHING. I've spent so much time researching dishwashers, microwaves, cooktops, wall ovens and refrigerators my head is spinning. I found this forum, and read a long thread about refrigerators, but still need help. Our contractor is putting the fridge in a spot next to a wall on the left, and we need to find something that will fit within 36"and still have room to open the left door to allow the drawers to open. Don't know if I should be looking at french door, freezer on the bottom models or side by sides, etc.
I've chosen a GE Profile induction cooktop PHP9005MSS, and a Whirlpool WOS92EC0AS wall oven, which the contractor wants to put under the cooktop for space reasons. These seem to have better reviews on Consumer Reports and Home Depot and Lowe's. Has anyone had experience with either one of these?
I'm still looking for a dishwasher and microwave, but seem to be leaning toward a Kenmore dishwasher at this point.
I know this is a very broad email, but would be thrilled to get any input from people who have any experience with any of these appliances. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling kitchen

I urge you to post a graph of your kitchen on the kitchen forum here on GW. Use 1 square per foot and show walls, doors, and any fixed items. There is SO much help there.

Sandra

o

We are also getting ready to remodel our kitchen. The refrigerator is going to be a 36" wide cabinet depth also next to a wall on the left. Our designer built in a 9" inch broom cabinet to allow for clearance for the refrigerator door to open. It's something you might consider.

o

Our contractor is putting the fridge in a spot next to a wall on the left, and we need to find something that will fit within 36"and still have room to open the left door to allow the drawers to open.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the layout that the contractor chose only dedicates the 36" nearest the wall for the fridge. If you leave it like that, I believe you have two choices: get a 30 or 33" fridge, or else get a 36" fridge that you won't be able to open the left door on.

Probably would be better to follow Bells and Lindys advice and fix the layout to accommodate the fridge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here