Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kartmom_gw

Kitchen Aid Appliances

kartmom
14 years ago

My husband & I are looking at purchasing Kitchen Aid appliances tomorrow from Sears to take advantage of some savings. Most are from the Architect Series II. Looking at a double oven w/convection, 5 burner drop in cooktop, french door fridge, dishwaser and hood. I can't seem to find any reviews on Kitchen Aid appliances online (Consumer Reports has pretty much nothing on Kitchen Aid) but was told by the sales lady they are top of the line. Any reviews on any Kitchen Aid appliances purchased in the last year or so would be greatly appreciated ASAP. Thank you.

Comments (12)

• weissman
    14 years ago

KA makes good fridges and DWs - I had those for over 6 years now without any problems. KA ovens have had problems in the recent past - self-clean burning out the control board and the top element coming on during baking and burning things - don't know if these issues have been fixed. You don't need to buy all KA appliances - many of us on this forum mix and match brands - you end up with better choices that way.

• wade_clara
    14 years ago

Isn't KA made by Whirlpool? I do think it is a good idea to mix brands. A manufacturer may do one appliance well but not another. After reading reviews we decided on Bosch for our dishwasher. We have decided to stay away from all LG appliances. I'm in the process doing research on our kitchen remodel and it is a long process. I'm still stuck on hood options. It seems as though Kobe, Futuro, and Zephyr have good reputations for the style of hood we are getting.
    Wade

• sayde
    14 years ago

Have been looking at KA ovens and noticed that there are very specific installation instructions regarding separate circuits and other electrical requirements. I'm wondering if some of the problems with the self-clean had to do with electrical service and the installation. Have read that very often the apparent problem with an appliance has to do with something not happening correctly with the installation. I don't know whether KA has "fixed" the problem by changing the oven itself or by specifying certain specific requirements in the electrical at installation. Would love to hear if anyone knows . . .

• weissman
    14 years ago

While it's true that installation issues can cause problems, a circuit board frying during self-clean would not be due to the oven not being on it's own circuit - at worst you would pop the circuit breaker.

• springbaysf
    14 years ago

I have the KA Architect Series II oven and mw/convection combo for about a 1 1/2 yrs. I really love the combo unit and the oven. Very versatile and love the steam function for veggies. I have not had one problem so far and I bake alot. I too was concerned bc of the reviews of past but this was a great purchase. I say go for it!

• ebse
    14 years ago

I have a KA architect II side by side counter depth fridge. I like it, haven't had any problems.

• positano
    14 years ago

I have a FD CD stainless fridge, dishwasher and wine fridge by Kitchenaid.I've had the dishwasher for a year and a half, the two fridges since Jan. The only problem I have is with the wine fridge being loud, other than that everything works perfectly. The regular fridge is very quiet.

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

I just remodeled and got the KA 30" gas 5 burner cooktop and love it! I also got a KA dishwasher and it's pretty quiet and cleans well. I think if I had shopped around I could have done better for the money I paid for the KA.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We got a KA built-in fridge two years ago and like it very much. We've had two Whirlpool refrigerators prior to this fridge (one is now in our garage), and were very happy with them. Since Whirlpool doesn't make built-ins, we figured this was the next best thing. Didn't want to pay the premium for the Thermador (same fridge, slightly different cosmetics, at a higher price), or for a SZ.

• andreanewengland
    14 years ago

I would never buy another KitchenAid anything. I bought an Architect series DW several years ago. Couldn't stand it. It was a pain to load, things tipped over. It did clean adequately. I got EXPO to take it back and bought my Bosch, LOVED IT. Sold that house a year ago and in the remodel we are currently doing in our "new" Victorian house, we just put in our second Bosch. Both of mine were the top of the line hidden-control type.

My double KA convection ovens. Didn't like them because they kept overbrowning things on the top because of how they were designed to have both elements on at certain times. I know it's that's not compelling; but it was five years ago and i can't recall the details.

I also had the 50 lb icemaker which broke so many times under warranty that they extended the warranty for a couple of years for us. What a pain.

• chas045
    14 years ago

I have had the double KA convection and microwave/convection oven for 2 years. It has been ok. I was worried about the fuse failure issue and have only used the cleaning routine 2 or 3 times. I just had a service guy out just to do a check up on it and have found that you can't really calibrate the temps, so there isn't really much to adjust. But it may be similar on other modern ovens. The service guy did say that he had replaced a lot of fuses on the KA units. KA has issued a bulletin on some of their models and will install an alternate fuse and stronger fan, so perhaps the problem is now solved.

• sunschyn
    14 years ago

We just got KA counter depth french door fridge which I love. I would highly recommend it. Very quiet, great layout. We also got a dishwasher, which I've used only 3 times but seems to be fine (we had a KA dishwasher before it and thought it was great). We also got the double wall oven with the convection/microwave on top. I'd read about the burnout of the circuitry with the self-clean feature but that issue has been resolved and I saw somewhere a website that listed all the model numbers that were affected and the newer ones (that would currently be in stores) were not on the list. I haven't used the ovens enough to comment on them one way or another. The microwave feature works just fine, though.