Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetodd0901

Jenn-Air French Door v. SubZero French door refrigerator

SueTodd0901
11 years ago

We are currently in the planning stage of remodeling our kitchen. My husband wants the true fully integrated French door/freezer on bottom. Our research indicates we have two choices: 36" Sub Zero Model BI36UFD or 42" Jenn-Air Model JF42NXFXDW Overlay. We currently have a freestanding 36" French door Kenmore Elite. I've read reviews indicating reliability problems with the JA. I've also been told that if repairs are needed on the SZ, it takes about a month to get an appointment as they only allow SZ employees to make repairs. All comments would be appreciated! For those who addressed this issue in February, I would love to know how your appliances are functioning, capacity, etc. thanks! Also, we have been unable to find a retailer with the actual SZ model on the floor. We're in central NJ. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• SueTodd0901
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! Didn't know about this building. Will be planning a visit, hopefully next week!

• flevy
    11 years ago

Is the Sub a true integrated model? On the website it's listed under the built ins. I don't know much about how Sub classifies their products though. What makes a model integrated vs built in?

I've seen the JA and for me, the interior configuration was the deal breaker. I just didn't like all the small drawers instead of one big one that spans the fridge.

• SueTodd0901
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input. A fully integrated refrigerator allows the �doors of the refrigerator to be completely flush with the cabinets next to it. The hinges allow the door to fold into the cabinet, rather than outside it. �A �counter depth refrigerator will stick out a couple of inches, and even if panel � ready, will still show an inch or 2 of the sides of the refrigerator. I've even been told counter depth panel ready will show a bit of metal on the front door. It has to do with the door hinges. I didn't think there was a difference between built-in and fully integrated, but I could be wrong. My issue with SZ is the lack of split shelves, which we occasionally use to stand taller items like opened wine bottles or pots of soup. We are a family of four, with 2 boys 10,12 who are definitely hitting growth spurts! �The SZ FD also only comes in 36" vs JAN 42", so there is smaller capacity. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just go with panel ready counter depth so we have more brand options and see if we can customize the cabinets to hide the sides. Any thoughts , has anyone done?

• flevy
    11 years ago

That's what I ended up deciding to do. I went with the KA 36" FD which is CD Panel ready. It's not installed yet so I don't know how it's going to turn out. For me, it's at the end of the run. If it looks funny, we're just going to build a wall to hide the side.

I spend hours at the appliance store. Came in with my large frozen pizza box, my dominos box, the big subway platter, 4 gallon jugs. And I put everything in every fridge. I live the look of the Subs but honestly the interior configuration was not friendly to my lifestyle.

My compromise was the CD but the reality is that I want a std depth FD that holds everything. It remains to be seen if this CD has a long life in my house.

I have one 18 yr old boy at home getting ready to leave in sept and I know what you mean about boys eating. No matter how full the fridge, it seems like a vast pit. I put the food in there and when I trim back around its gone! My youngest is just 2 so I know what's heading down the road.

I'm all for a kitchen looking beautiful; but at the end of the day you need it to function as a kitchen for your family.

• Doba
    11 years ago

I know this is an older post, but I would love to see photos of the CD Kitchenaid with panels now that it's installed.

• ChicagoLiving
    11 years ago

I too would LOVE to see pics and how you dealt with the side as I am having my cabinets built right now and want to handle this issue with the Kitchenaid CD Panel ready fridge we are installing. Thanks a ton!!

• ChicagoLiving
    11 years ago

I too would LOVE to see pics and how you dealt with the side as I am having my cabinets built right now and want to handle this issue with the Kitchenaid CD Panel ready fridge we are installing. Thanks a ton!!

• SueTodd0901
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all. We actually ended up with the SubZero fully integrated. Our project got postponed, and we're now waiting for our cabinets to come in so construction can start. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!