Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comtesse_de_provence

Replacing 27' double oven not sure what to choose... Viking or???

vintage_rose
11 years ago

My Frigidaire Galley 27" double oven is dying and I need to replace it. I have been looking around and am completely lost in all the choices. Also, it seems like whenever I think I might want something I start seeing all the negative comments.

I like Blue Star and have read positive things about this brand, but they don't make 27" and I do not want to cut into the cabinets. The next one I was considering is Viking, but I haven't been reading wonderful things about their products... the woman at the store recommended Kitchenaide as a good "middle of the road" choice, but I'm not sold on it either. Perhaps there's another brand out there I should consider?

The last appliance I purchased was a GE Profile dishwasher and that was a huge mistake. So I'm trying to be more careful this time.

Even though I'm not a gourmet cook, I would like something that will work when I need to use it... and that's relatively attractive. Any thoughts, ideas or experiences with different brands that might fit what I am seeking would be appreciated. My appliances are white so I need to stick with something in white as well. But stainless trim would be nice! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• acw6455
    11 years ago

For my mothers birthday I replaced all her appliances with viking ( her request )
    36" DF range
    48" Built in Fridge
    Two 30" Double wall ovens
    two 24" dishwashers
    built in microwave
    24" undercounter wine unit

They have all been working GREAT for almost 6 months.
    AND
    They have a 3 year FULL warranty on all of their products

• jadeite
    11 years ago

We replaced our 27" GE double unit (oven plus microwave) with Electrolux convection oven and Panasonic convection microwave. We didn't want a double oven unit, given that if one fails, you have to replace both. The matching built in Elux MW is way too expensive and doesn't have the options that the Panasonic offered. We got the Panasonic with a trim kit so while it doesn't match the Elux handles and controls, it doesn't clash too horribly.

It's only been a few weeks since we made the switch, but the Elux has performed like a champ. I've baked cookies and cakes, roasted chickens and fish, and dehydrated apricots. It has been perfect in all respects.

I started learning how to use the Panasonic this past week when DH removed the induction cooktop in order to install the range hood. So I was completely dependent on the MW plus oven. It has worked exactly as the manual describes. I've used the combination (convection + microwave) to cook vegetables, rice and chicken. It has worked better than I expected. It gets the job done without fuss. I got it to use as a second oven to supplement the Elux when I have a lot of cooking going on. I still have a lot of learning to do before I feel confident of results, but I'm very pleased so far.

Cheryl

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Now all 27" ovens will have the same cut out dimensions so remember to have your cutout measurements with you when you shop. We had to replace our 1 year old 27" double oven and the manufacturer offered us the newer 27" model. We had to alter our cabinets by 1" to make the new one fit. It was taller than the old model.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I have Elux 30" non-icon double oven. Love it. Elux is a good middle-of-the-road line. Comes in white 27".

Before buying KA, check here and on other ratings sites for discussions of problems with self-cleaning ruining the electronics.

You might want to consider the 27" Frigidaire side-swing door oven. I would have gotten it if it came in SS, because I adore a side opening door on an oven. It only comes in single, but you can install 2 stacked. As jadeite says, this could be good.

If your old oven is, in fact, old, remember that newer models have thicker insulation. The inside dimensions of your new oven may be smaller than your current one. You might want to test different brands with your pans.

• vintage_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and thoughts! It definitely helps!!! Today I went to a few local stores (Sears, Best Buy and Lowes). They had very few choices for white. I was left with Kitchen Aide, Frigidaire Gallery and other lower end choices. (They only have Elux or Jenn Aire in SS).

Jadeite, we already have a built-in microwave so an oven/microwave combo would not be an option for us. Although I really liked the oven warming drawer combos! Those warming drawers seem quite useful. But unfortunately I need to fill a specific space so I think we'll need to stick with the double oven...

Tomorrow I may take a drive to some stores outside my local area that carry other brands. Hopefully that will give me some ideas.

BTW, what are your thoughts on the easy pull out racks? These seem more standard on the high end ovens. Even though it seems convenient I'm wondering if there's a downside to these racks.

Thank you!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

There have been a few complaints about oven racks - unfortunately I can't remember which brand.

I love mine. I have a Dacor and the full extension glide racks are very sturdy and easily hold my biggest Le Creuset and heavy Calphalon Dutch Ovens, or my large roaster with a 20 pound turkey.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

The Elux glide racks are wonderful. I haven't tried roasting anything really heavy, but they have handled loads up to about 15 lbs with ease. Their only downside is that taking them out is a bit fiddly. It hasn't bothered me, but I've heard a complaint from someone who finds it a nuisance.

Good luck,
    Cheryl

• jadeite
    11 years ago

The Elux glide racks are wonderful. I haven't tried roasting anything really heavy, but they have handled loads up to about 15 lbs with ease. Their only downside is that taking them out is a bit fiddly. It hasn't bothered me, but I've heard a complaint from someone who finds it a nuisance.

Good luck,
    Cheryl

• vintage_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>Their only downside is that taking them out is a bit fiddly.Hummmm..... that may explain why some brands only include one glid rack on the bottom. Aside from it being less costly, if you are going to have one the most ideal spot would be on the bottom when dealing with larger and heavier foods.