Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does the dishwasher have standing soap suds after cycle?

Posted by sullivansmom (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 23:17

I am baffled. I have been using the Cascade 2 in 1 gel packs for months. All of a sudden - in the past two weeks - the plastics aren't getting even close to dry like they used to and there are standing soap suds at the end of a cycle. We have a whirlpool Gold about 6 years old. We have a water softener and I am wondering if that is set too high? I don't know but it is getting frustrating.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does the dishwasher have standing soap suds after cycle?

Have you just started using JetDry? My mother has a KA Architect dw that's about 5 years old. She has this problem (soap suds)and believes it's the JetDry doing it. It doesn't happen during a wash cycle, only the rinse cycle. She can fill a clean glass, just out of the dw, run water in it and get soap bubbles too. Shaking a bottle of JetDry will create bubbles. They don't have a water softener system.
Monica

o

I have used jet dry since we purchased it. I called our local dealer and they said to up the jetdry because the dishes were so wet. It didn't help dry anything so maybe I should turn it back down to "2".
Thanks!

o

Two suggestions: do you have a high loop or air gap in your drain hose - if not you could be getting dishwashing liquid backing up from your sink

try using powder instead of gel packs - most manufacturers recommend powder - gel can gum up the works.

o

Excess rinse aid will cause sudsing. I've heard mention that one of the rinse aid products (either JetDry or Cascade, don't recall which) apparently changed their formulation recently and is noticeably thinner. If you've started a new bottle, perhaps that's related. I also recommend against using liquid or gelpack detergents. A powder with enzymes is best (and even better with phosphates but phosphate detergent formulations are unfortunately pretty much gone off the market).

Has your machine always had trouble with drying or has that problem developed recently?

o

I need to correct myself - they aren't gel packs but rather powder that is solid packed into a cube and it has a blue layer which I am guessing is more jetdry. The drying problem started 2 weeks ago. It is real hot in there during the drying cycle so I know it is getting hot. I typically open the dishwasher and shake water off the top of things then continue drying but they are still quite wet.

o

Adding that a normal cycle is supposed to last 94 minutes and yesterday we timed it - the cycle that I always used went 3 hours! Something is really wrong. It never used to take that long.

o

Buy Tang run the dishwasher thru a rinse using a tablespoon of tang, it will clean out the excess soap plus the water jets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here