Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
glass control panel on Whirlpool induction range w/ double ovens?

Posted by NewEnglandSara (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:06

Hi there,

We are in one of those fast-paced appliance choosing moments; our cabinet guy and electrician need to have our range choice by tomorrow morning! We have been struggling between buying a slide-in induction range and a freestanding one. After lots of agonizing, I think we finally decided on the Whirlpool induction range w/ double ovens:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-%5BWGI925C0BS%5D-1021750/WGI925C0BS/

We really want a glass control panel since we have had issues in the past with plastic controls bubbling up/cracking. The Whirlpool website does not indicate if the controls are glass, and we can't seem to find this info anywhere. Even the sales associate at Sears didn't know!

Does anyone have this range and/or know if the controls are glass?

Thank you!

Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: glass control panel on Whirlpool induction range w/ double ov

Well this is probably too late to help you but it looks like the controls up front for the induction cooktop are glass based on the way the owners manual on Whirlpool's website calls them "touch controls"

However the oven controls on the back panel seem to be standard plastic push button controls. Finding this out took a bit of detective work. First I downloaded the parts list for WGI925C0BS00 on Whirlpool's website. I found the keypanel in the diagram and looked up the part number online (W10528782). Googling that led me to a bunch of websites offering it for sale calling it a membrane switch panel, which tells me it has standard plastic push buttons.

This may not have been the answer you were hoping for but glass touch controls have their drawbacks. On my last range I broke the glass touch controls (entirely my own fault) and the replacement part was EXPENSIVE. Much more than a standard plastic membrane switch panel.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:14

o

It is glass, per my BIL. They have one and love it.

o

hvtech42, I am amazed by your resourcefulness! You are SO resourceful and helpful! I am inspired by your creative approach!

MizLizzie, I am hoping that your brother-in-law's stove is the version that we would buy: so great to hear they they love it! I really, appreciate your taking the time to ask him. :-)

Feel free to chime in with any additional info. The electrician is delayed by a few days, and our kitchen guy said he just needs to know that we are getting a 30 inch range: nothing more specific for now. We have a tiny bit of extra time to figure this out! :-)

Thanks again!

Sara

o

I hope he understood the question. I can tell you it has been a great range in the short term. They've had it six months, I'm guessing. I have used the hobs and being accustomed to a Bosch induction cooktop, I found it them quite nice and fast. They love the double ovens and say they are both functional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here