Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winesnob_gw

What do I need to really know about the LaCanche

winesnob
12 years ago

It is hard to believe a couple of months ago I had never heard of a LaCanche and now my entire days are consumed with gathering all I can about them. We are just having our plans done for our new kitchen. I am going to have Miele wall oven, microwave, and that wonderful steam oven. For the stove I just can't decide whether to do the Cluny or Sully and am wondering what nightmares if any are going to occur with wiring and venting. I would love any advice you could give to help me. I am thinking of doing the French Blue in the Cluny 1400. If you have some pictures to share of your LaCanche I would love to see.

Comments (34)

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Winesnob,

If you've been consumed with Lacanche research, there's probably not a lot I can offer since I still haven't ordered mine. It does seem to me that the primary attraction of the Sully is the larger oven size (and the availability of convection), but you're already planning some serious oven power with the Mieles. In your shoes I'd definitely lean toward the Cluny 1400. People here all seem to rave about the warming oven and that would fill a need you don't already have covered.

I'm leaning toward the Chagny 1400 with the Cluny-sized ovens. And I won't have a wall oven of any kind to fall back on.

As for wiring and venting nightmares, I haven't heard of any. The specs make the set up look pretty straightforward.

Best of luck with your choice. The French Blue is beautiful.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Art Culinare, who sell Lacanche, can put you in touch with other owners in your area if you request that. Additionally, they have a huge amount of information about installation and always have been very responsive to owners -- complaints have been very rare with either the range or the service.

• dianepatterson
    12 years ago

I have the Cluny 1400 in French blue and I love it!

I like having the smaller ovens, but I don't plan to cook a turkey or something gigantic in them. (I probably could do a turkey in one of those things, but it would probably be awkward, because the pan would be turned to the side.) I got one gas and one electric oven and they have both worked perfectly for me.

A warming oven is the bee's knees. Seriously, I thought having one was going to be a)pointless, b)stupid, c)both. But it is wonderful.

The hardest thing to find out ahead of time is whether any appliance repair people in your area can handle these things. I have had one repair call because one burner wasn't working--turned out it hadn't been hooked up properly by the installer. My repair guys come from a high end commercial repair place about 20 miles away, so it's more expensive for them to visit. However, Art Culinaire was very helpful during a phone consult with them and got my problem taken care of right away.

The repair guy couldn't get over how clean and well-designed the Lacanche was under the hood. He had nothing but bad stuff to say about Wolf, btw.

• winesnob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has been a month since I posted this and I am finally ready to order my Cluny 1400. I have to make final decision on configurations. Also I saw a post about concerns on the simmer and there not being a shut off valve. Have you had any safety concerns?

• cheri127
    12 years ago

We have a 3 year old Volnay. The simmer on all burners can't be turned down low enough to be effective without risking the flame going out and blowing up the house. However, the new models have an automatic shut off for the gas if the flame is extinguished, so you shouldn't have this problem. It's my only complaint about the range. The burners are wonderfully powerful and it's a joy to cook on. We just use an inexpensive heat diffuser when cooking stews and sauces.

• winesnob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Meeting with the contractor today to look at some of his projects.....Believe it, I have not ordered this stove. I still keep trying to convience myself about some of the issues.....like not self cleaning...the shut off valve issue resolved, I love the looks of the stove, I just don't want something that everyday because I am a clean freak that I am tripping out about it and not cooking in it because it is difficult to clean....a lot of money for something just to look good, just want to make sure with all this beauty and class comes common sense. Thanks for all your ideas.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Encourage you to make sure you see one live IRL before you order. Check out the ovens, the racks, the burners. I did this and it was critical for me. (Wound up picking something else).

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Most likely your nightmares will come from the "Regular" Miele oven. The Miele Steam oven seems to get good reviews as do their "Speed Ovens", (haven't seen much about their MW's).

At least 2 posters here have had the Miele ovens replaced for low temp problems and the replacement oven had the same problem. You will find similar complaints on many different web-sites.

I would suggest you do a search for Miele Ovens on the appliance main page, then you may want to visit other sites like Chow Hound, Epinions, etc etc---It really doesn't take a lot of searching to find the low temp problem.

Good luck with your pending choices.

Gary

• ertol
    12 years ago

I am beginning my search for a new range and really thought I was sold on the Lacanche - the La Cornue is out of the budget - but now I'm reading about issues with the ovens not heating evenly, the doors getting too hot, and the simmer being too high.

So now I'm doing some research about the Capital Culinarian, but it doesn't offer both gas and electric ovens, and of course, is not nearly as attractive as the Lacanche. I know the argument about cooks v. looks, but it doesn't seem there's a perfect range out there!

Any ideas or suggestions?

• mc_p
    12 years ago

SnookieCookie: It's true that the simmer - even on the lowest 5K BTU burner - is a bit high, especially if the pot starts out hot from other cooking. But, it's easily solved using an inexpensive heat spreader, which works perfectly.

I have a Sully with one gas and one electric oven (no convection). They both work great. The doors (not the handles) get a little warm but by no means hot. Certainly not warm enough to burn anything or anyone, even a child.

It does take awhile to learn to use the ovens but I've never had any problems baking or roasting in them. They don't heat "unevenly." The heat in ALL ovens -- including expensive electric ovens with digital reads -- varies over time, often by 25 degrees up/down. Even digital reads are set to allow for this kind of variation. That's why you hear the heat going on and off as an oven works, as the ovens adjust the heat back to the set temp. I did have the ovens calibrated when I first got the range and in the beginning I was heavily reliant on some oven thermometers, but I have since found that dial settings are pretty accurate within the accepted range. I actually think that the ovens hold their heat more consistently reliably than my friends' Wolf and Electrolux ovens because my doors are heavier and better insulated.

By the way, I do a lot of baking (where, unlike roasting, consistent temperature really matters). I find the electric oven to be particularly great when baking, to the point where I don't even bother to turn cakes 180 degrees midway through baking (though I do turn cookies, but I think that's mostly out of habit!).

Have fun, whatever you decide.

• winesnob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally ordered my new LaCanche today. It is the Cluny 1400 - Provencial Yellow, with the french plate. I am very excited about it. Hope I am able to master it, since I have been cooking forever on a Jenn Aire that is so basic it makes cooking boring. Thanks for all the information.

• janeeto
    12 years ago

I am trying to choose between a La Canche Citreaux and a Chagny.
    We have 4 kids so I roast a lot,braise a lot, bake simply. Why is a gas oven so great? Am thinking convection electric might be a better choice for the big oven in the Citreaux, the Chagny doesn't offer a convection option, is a gas oven worth giving up convection?

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Winesnob,

Has your cluny arrived? Are you thrilled to be cooking on it?

Thanks and Cheers.

M

• winesnob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It has been so long since I have looked at this thread, would you believe my Cluny is being stored at AC....My remodel on phase I of my home has taken way longer than we thought so as soon as it is finished I will have room to store it myself. I was in hopes to cook Christmas dinner on it but it doesn't look that way. Remodeling has to be the hardest task I have ever taken on. All the folks at AC have been so super and supportive, can't say enough good things about them. I will post as soon as it arrives, and thank you for asking.

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

I know people get occasionally irritated with re-boosting older posts, but we're teetering on the edge of considering Lacanche ranges, so I'm curious to know how you like your Lacanche Cluny one year on, winesnob?

Or are you still mired in the remodel, horrors?!

• clinresga
    11 years ago

Our Cluny 1400 is more like 5 years old. Still love it, despite all the above regarding the range(yup, simmer too high, yup, the old burners can go out if set too low and blow up the house, nope, we haven't done it yet and a simmer plate is key, yup oven racks hard to slide, ovens small). Given all of that, you'd still have to pry this range out of my cold dead hands. It is just such a wonderful piece of work. Ultra simple, lots of BTU's, and still gorgeous after all these years. Makes a statement that nothing short of a La Cornue could top. (Sorry, old photo before backsplash went in. Have to take new pix someday!)

This is pure unadulterated ego, but we have gotten to know Kevin Gillespie (former Top Chef finalist, author of newly released cookbook Fire in My Belly) and EJ Hodgkinson, who took over as Executive Chef at Kevin's former restaurant, Woodfire Grill. They do lots of charity events, get to cook all the time on the usual Wolfs and Vikings, and the only range that they ask about ("when can we come over and cook in your kitchen?") is our LC.

• mainedr
    11 years ago

I had a standard cluny with two gas ovens for 3 years and loved it. I never had a problem with the simmer burner going out. I can't say enough good things about the stove and what A pleasure it was to cook on. I had two gas ovens and loved them. Living without a broiler was never a problem for our cooking style and even when we lost power in the country I had full use of the stove.
    I like the Lacanche so much I am now planning on getting a sully.

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Hi Mainedr - Are you getting a bigger kitchen to go with the bigger stove? What color Sully have you selected? Please tell us everything...not much going on GW lately w/ the Lancanche and some of us would love to hear about it. Thanks

• S F
    4 years ago

I realize this thread is years old but I am hoping some of you can update me on the status of your LC's? Can you share how the range is functioning? Did anyone get Induction and can you share how that is working for you? Have there been any regrets? I am this close to ordering but cine I only have space for a 43" I am trying to make sure I get the right combination of options. Thanks so much for anyone willing to chime in all these years later.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Hi S F, I've only had mine for 6 months, but I did order a Cluny 1400 (larger than what you're considering. Mine has the induction hob on it and 5 gas burners. LOVE love love the induction! I definitely cook on it more than I thought I initially would. I love the functionality of the warming cupboard as I use that way more often that I thought as well. What range are you considering?

• mc_p
    4 years ago

Hi S F

I've had my Sully for 10 years, so no induction. We have an electric and a gas oven, no convection. The stove was my husband's dream, not mine. But, I love it.

The ovens are fantastic. Spectacularly well-sealed, keep heat evenly, and quite large enough for anything - we regularly cook 16 lb turkeys (we love turkey) with no problem. I'm a fairly serious baker (bread and cakes) and the electric oven in particular is very good. I have never found the doors to be hot, but of course if you open them for too long while the oven is on the knobs above (for the stove) do start to heat up.

The stove burners do run high, even the smallest (simmer) burner. I've solved this problem with a couple of cheap heat spreaders that are always sitting in the back of the stove. (https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Co-99134-Stainless/dp/B000HM9ZSY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=heat+spreader&qid=1584326068&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr). It took me some time to learn how to cook on the stovetop but I think that would have been the case with any high output stove, not just a Lacanche.

When we first had the range I had to have the ovens calibrated (a tech came) and the burners adjusted. Since then, I've had very few problems - occasionally a knob is loose or a gasket dies - and the tech folks at French Ranges are extremely responsive and helpful. The simplicity of the stove and ovens makes for few problems and easy fixes.

Good luck, whatever you decide. My most important advice - if you decide to get one, make sure the person who installs it knows how to install a Lacanche. Don't let him/her wing it.

• PRO
    Lacanche USA
    4 years ago

Bonjour SF!

You're in the perfect hands here with fellow owners, but please do reach out if you have any questions large or small - we are here to help!

Merci et à bientôt !

Lacanche US

• sornbarry
    4 years ago

We’ve owned the 43.5” Savigny with induction hob and double electric oven for 2 years now. Nice to have gas and induction cooking options to choose from. No major issues with the operation. It cooks. It bakes. It boils water fast.

• S F
    4 years ago

That is great to hear! Thanks!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've had my Lacanche Cluny 1400 for almost five years. I love it as much today as I did when I first got it! It beautiful and it works perfectly. It's a solid work horse and I fully expect that I will love this range for many years to come.

• S F
    4 years ago

It is strange to be talking about ranges during this time, but I really appreciate the feedback.

• dianepatterson
    4 years ago

I have had my Lacanche Cluny 1400 for 9 years now and it's been great! The burners are amazingly hot (to the point where often we have to move to a lower burner than we would think we need to avoid cremating our food) and the ovens have been the perfect size. I got a gas oven and an electric oven, and I'm not sure I have made as much use of the gas oven as I thought I would (it's good for baking!), but overall I have really liked this range. And after 9 years it's still a conversation piece!

• PRO
    Lacanche USA
    4 years ago

Bonjour @dianepatterson !!

What fabulous news, and so wonderful to hear from you. While the Range burners are in fact powerful, there are a few tips and tricks that can help, as we absolutely want you to be able to simmer on your Range. It sounds as if you are Lacanche pro now, but if you ever have any questions , feel free to write me directly at blair@frenchranges.com if you'd like me to put you in the hands of our service department - they are expert in this very sort of thing :)

Happy Cooking et merci !

• kari_erickson
    4 years ago

@mc_p how are you cooking a 16 pound turkey in your oven? what are you cooking it in? did you have to buy a special pan that would fit in the smaller oven? i just got my chagney 1400 installed but haven’t used it yet.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Hi @kari_erickson! You should be able to purchase the larger All Clad roasting pan to fit in your oven. I say All Clad because of the way the handles are shaped and turned in towards the pan... my Kirkland brand has handles that face outward and sadly does not fit. Just make sure that you push your oven rack all the way to the back of the oven and it will fit fine.

• Teri H
    3 years ago

Hello! If you have a Sully and a wall oven, why did you also get a wall oven in addition to the two ovens in the Sully? Just curious... I don't really bake / cook very much, but am trying to design a kitchen that will appeal to all people for resale and just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

I thought about getting a wall oven in addition to my two Cluny ovens and warming cupboard. When we were building out house, I was worried that I wouldn't have enough space with just the Cluny ovens; which are smaller than the Sully ovens. I ended up not doing the wall oven, because I wasn't sure which one I wanted and I became overwhelmed with out decisions related to building a house. Over five years later, the space I left for the wall oven, still holds my microwave and I have no intention of buying another oven in my kitchen. I easily feed my entire family of six and host large parties with the Cluny 1400. I can't speak for everyone, but like me, I believe many people are use to large American sized ovens and worry about downsizing to something smaller. What I've learned is that my old American sized oven was never very practical, I could only cook things at the same temperature and most of the time I was heating up the entire oven space for something like a casserole dish. And for larger events, the oven was mostly taken up with something like a turkey making it almost impossible to cooks sides on the same day.

• TERI JAYE TAKAHATA
    3 years ago

Thank you, Corie. Thank was helpful. I agree that in some cases it’s more of a mind thing - ridding your mind of the idea that you “need” big ovens.