Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shabmerch

CC versus Wolf Oven

shabmerch
11 years ago

I'm looking into purchasing a gas range, and am trying to choose b/ween CC and Wolf, and between a 30" and 36". I've read what I need to about the differences b/ween the burners, but would really appreciate hearing about your experiences with roasting in these ovens.

We roast veges almost every day... around 3 trays (13"x18" each). Ideally I'd like to be able to stick all trays in at once, but I'm afraid of overcrowding. While a 36" oven can take 2 of these trays on one rack, I fear it will block the air flow. So I'm wondering whether it is better to just get the 30" since I can't utilize the width of a 36" without blocking airflow, and height wise, they are the same.

And any opinions on Wolf versus CC when it comes to roasting (veges and meats) will be well appreciated, as will opinions on size/air flow. (I know about convection fans in theory, so would like to hear from personal experience :-)

We'll also have an electric wall oven for baking, so not so worried about baking capabilities.

Thank you for your time!

Comments (9)

• wekick
    11 years ago

I have a question. What kind of electric oven are you getting? Looking at what you want to do roasting three trays of vegetables at once, many electric ovens have a third element for convection which would be helpful in keeping temperatures even when the oven is loaded. In addition KA and Wolf ovens have dual fans. The electric oven may be the better choice for roasting your veggies if you have these functions available.

• jscout
    11 years ago

I have a 48" CC and my large oven is the same as the 36". While I also roast veggies all the time, I've never had three sheets full. But if I were in your situation, I would put all three trays into the oven at the same time. I just wouldn't put them side-by-side. What I would most likely do is use the top three racks and put one tray on each rack. But I wouldn't center the trays. I'd offset them. On the top rack, I'd put the tray on the right side about an inch from the wall. On the second rack I'd put a tray on the left side, again about an inch from the wall. On the third rack, I'd put the tray on the right side, again about an inch or so from the wall. With the convection on, there should be plenty of circulation to enable the veggies to brown. If the top rack position is too tight because your pan has high sides, then I'd use the middle three rack positions with the same staggered tray layout.

• shabmerch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wekick,
    I'm actually thinking of a gas oven as my primary oven, (as part of a freestanding range), and electric and secondary.
    Now I'm struggling b/ween BS and CC :-)

• BrightFutureFoods
    11 years ago

I started off wanting a Wolf, until I actually went into a working kitchen (Eurostoves) and used one side-by-side with a BlueStar and a Capital Culinarian. The burners as i'm sure you already discovered were clearly inferior to BS and CC. The oven operation might be fine, but all it took for me was opening that tinny, creaky, cheap feeling door on the Wolf to tell me I didn't feel that was a good place to put my hard-earned cash.

LOVE my Culinarian! The thing is an elegant tank!

• wekick
    11 years ago

"The burners as i'm sure you already discovered were clearly inferior to BS and CC."

What did you cook and in what kind/size of pans and how did the BS disappoint. Also which Wolf burner did you cook on and what didn't work about that?

"but all it took for me was opening that tinny, creaky, cheap feeling door on the Wolf

That's the first time I've heard Wolf accused of that.

• BrightFutureFoods
    11 years ago

wekick,

The BS didn't disappoint at all. I thought the BS was great as well. Did not like the wolf burners. Lacked power, and for my style of cooking (lots of asian inspired) btu's are important.

The oven door of the Wolf in the shop was lighter thinner and creaked horribly (perhaps something wrong with it). My own impression. The Blue star was solid and the Capital door (solid/heavy)compared to the Wolf felt like the difference between the door on a Mercedes vs. a Yugo. Again, my own impression. To each his/her own.

My advice to all who ask about what to buy on here, is to go see them in person and compare. It's the only way to identify what YOU want. It really doesn't matter what someone else wants.

Cheers,

-BFF

• wekick
    11 years ago

"Inferior" is a very subjective term and I think it is helpful to people trying to decide what to buy, to describe what specifically you like or don't like or what makes something "inferior" to you. For me I use the very low end everyday and it would drive me nuts to not have that available. Our idea of inferior would be different.

"My advice to all who ask about what to buy on here, is to go see them in person and compare. It's the only way to identify what YOU want. It really doesn't matter what someone else wants."
    Absolutely. Try to cook on them if possible.

• weissman
    11 years ago

I agree 100% with wekick. I have a DCS with sealed dual stacked burners and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the low simmer and use it all the time on all the burners. I would probably not be as happy with a CC without such a low simmer or with a Bluestar with only 1 simmer burner. Hey, a Toyota may be inferior to a Ferrari except that you're less likely to get speeding tickets!

• sspiper
    11 years ago

I am struggling over my choice as well. I'm just starting a kitchen remodel and am very drawn to the BS. I haven't found a local dealer for CC.
    I love the higher Btu capacity but have never actually cooked on a pro style range. I guess my biggest questions/concern is will I be able to simmer like I do on my crappy closed burner GE? And will the oven run me out of the kitchen from heat when baking?
    In that regard Wolf and closed burners/well insulated oven seem a safe choice . But I almost feel like what's the point it going upscale without open burners. Love any input .