Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jairosmom

Need help choosing refrigerator for new build

Michelle
9 years ago

Hi there! Thanks to you all, I have learned a great deal about appliances. For our new build, I am most likely selecting a Wolf 36" AG range/oven, a microwave drawer, and a Miele dishwasher. However, I'm stumped on the refrigerator. I have the budget for Subzero, and I love the look of it, but we are a family of five with currently a 30 cuft fridge that is packed. I can't do the 19.7 cu ft for the SZ 36" fridge/freezer. We are putting a freezer in the pantry, so I considered the SZ 36" all fridge, but that unit is only 20.5 cuft (how is that, anyway)? We could do a standard depth and build it in so that it appears to be a counter depth. But I am totally confused about which refrigerators are best. And, should I do an all fridge considering we have a freezer in the pantry (fairly close), or would we want a freezer in the kitchen too? Thank you!

Comments (5)

• JonathonR
    9 years ago

I have vouched for Liebherr before for a couple reasons, design and build quality are fantastic and energy efficiency is one of the best on the market. These are also all true counter depth refrigerators. If you're looking at going green and wanting a high end fridge go with Liebherr. For sizeing and space inside you can also look at a side by side unit, if you have the space for 48" or 60". Looking at a built-in or fully integrated refrigerator will never give the space a freestanding unit can give in equivalent sizes. You can also mix and match your side by sides to max out your options, ice maker/ full fridge/ fridge freezer, allowing you to decide how much or how little refrigerator or freezer you want in your kitchen. Warranty wise subzero and Liebherr have the best on the market, up to 12 year sealed system warranty. Do a little research into failure rate, i know Liebherr has a less than 2%, not sure what Subzero is. But if your budget allows for it, definitely go for one of those two.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, I've never seen any failure rates of 2% on Liebherr.

If one looks at reviews of some of the Liebherr fridges, AJMadison, Amazon~~~~~~~~~etc they have no better "Positive to Negative review ratio than do other fridges!

I tend to think "Our new Canadian Friend" here is a bit "Biased"
    What do you all think?

Here is his profile and note the date he became a member!

JonathonR

Appliance Expert at The European Appliance Store
    I live in: Canada
    My Birthday is January 8 .
    First registered on July 09, 2014 .

The Liebherrs do have a better warranty than some fridges , as the labor for the "Sealed System", (Compressor,Evaporator, Condensor) are covered for
    5 years (Labor) (as well as parts), and the labor is the expensive part in warranty repairs!

Gary

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

My certified Sub Zero installer was VERY anti Liebherr. He has been in the business for 20 years and can count on one hand how many Sub Zero's he's had to replace, in other words, not many. On the other hand he said he drives all over the tri-state area replacing Liebherrs.

We ended up with a French door Sub-Zero. Very happy with it so far!!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Realhousewife, what size did you go with?

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

We have the 36" model - it's gorgeous! It's just myself, husband and 9 y.o. and I don't have a problem with space. Part of it is we put in the SZ beverage center so all the beverages are in there. I also have two other refrigerators in the basement but I find I only use them when we have lots of guests. I really prefer buying fresh, I don't use the freezer much.