Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerator Door Not Closing Flat

Posted by geller (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 22:25

We have a 3-yr old GE Monogram bulit-in frig. The frig door does not stay totally closed - we close it, and then it gradually opens about 1" past the freezer door. We had GE service yesterday, and he replaced the door spring, wiped the gasket and lubed it with vaseline. He did not have a new gasket. It did not change the situation. He said that we probably did not need a new one and the gasket should gradually heal itself and the frig door will close all the way after 2 wks. I think this is mumbo-jumbo and that we need a new gasket.

On the other hand, the gasket is pretty intact and does not look damaged. The only thing I can see is that it does not compress down as much on the outside of the door as the inside, which could push the door open. I have read on other forums that one can reform a gasket by heating up with a heat gun. I was thinking of trying to compress the gasket with that technique. Any ideas?

One thing for sure is that GE service is horrible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerator Door Not Closing Flat

When did this problem start?
Initial closing which quickly clamps any ref door shut is a function of the air inside contracting upon closure which creates low pressure inside as it is quickly re-cooled. This usually lasts several minutes at least and makes the door hard to open until slight slow leakage equalizes the internal and external air pressure.
The first thing you might try as an experiment is to close the door very slowly (1 or 2 minutes) over the last half inch or so and then monitor it to see if there is any change in the problem.
Good luck!

o

We had a Frigidaire that didn't close, but we figured out it was my fault. All by myself, I came up with the brainy idea to put one of those plastic drawers on a shelf to contain small things. BUT, sometimes it stuck out too far, and prevented the door from closing. Mostly it was fine, just now and then....

Are you sure your fridge is level? That could be a problem too.

Good luck!

o

Even if we push the door all the way closed, it slowly comes back out. So it is not likely an air pressure issue. And the frig is level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here