Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fridge and range questions

Posted by courtney1000 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 22:15

We are building a house and for the first time get to select all appliances. I was totally excited by this but the process has been totally overwhelming! I could easily spend crazy $$ getting exactly what I want, but do have a budget. My questions are regarding:

1. Ranges - I think we'll just go for the current Thermador package and buy the range and get a dw, but upgrade the dw. The gas cooktop we'll use everyday and need to be able boil water quickly and stir fry. If people have a second oven, do you usually go for a DF range or save money and go with all gas? FYI I saw a Bertazonni heritage range and am in love with the looks, but seemed that it could be difficult to clean if there is some spillage. If anyone has experience or thoughts on Thermador vs. Bertazonni, would love to hear it. Thought about a Wolf range, but I think Thermador should be fine for us and cheaper.

2. Refrigerators - totally unsure what to do here. We have a large family and consume a lot of fresh produce- I'd like to only stock up twice a week at most. In my dream kitchen I'd get separate fridge and freezer builtin columns, but there goes the budget again. So now I am back to a 36 or 42 inch model, no preference on in door water but do need ice. We can probably recess the wall to get a standard depth fridge to fit, but I actually prefer the more shallow ones so we aren't fishing through the fridge - we waste a ton of food just because we can't see it right now!
What would be the largest (in cu3) and best option for us in a counter depth fridge, preferably french door? We are not looking at subzero, but again thermador has a promo in which you buy a fridge and get a range hood free, so that could help if did that. I am totally open to Kitchenaid or another very reliable brand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fridge and range questions

1st what is your budget or what is the price of the complete Thermador package?

What size range or cooktop are you looking at?

o

Our budget for everything but the fridge is 10-12k, and if we can get a great fridge for 3-4k instead of 10-12k, fantastic. To be more clear, here is what I am thinking:
36 inch 6 burner gas or duel fuel range
Separate wall oven
Either sharp drawer microwave or micro with wall oven
Hood insert
Dishwasher
Fridge- hoping for 28-29 cu ft in one counter depth or built in fridge, or a smaller one that is highly functional. Not opposed to a separate fridge drawer, but thinking that would add cost and take up space

Had not really thought about warming drawers, steam ovens, or speed ovens- thinking ill do just fine without and we are limited on space- it is an open floor plan and I don't want to be looking at tons of appliances all the time!

o

If you are limited in space, you can use a speed oven instead of both a wall oven and a separate microwave. It would save you one appliance to fit in and look at. We went with a 36" gas range and a speed oven installed undercounter. It has been a great combination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here