Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntie_ellen

Pictures of installed Bosch 500 dw

I had 2 matching 10 yo KA dws that had problems. I replaced them with 2 Bosch 500 series today. The kickplates on the bottom do not look finished. Are there any pics that I could see of any installed? Online the image looks different than what I have. I think I may be missing a piece.

Thanks for any help!

I'm also not sure if they are installed too far forward as the toe kick doesn't line up with the cabinet toe kick but juts out.

Do they look funny to anyone? Thank you!

Comments (20)

• lwerner
    11 years ago

I think it's installed too far forward, probably by 1" to 1.5". In the 1st picture, try making the right-front corner of the dishwasher be the same depth as the back edge of that angled piece at the left side of the sink base. (The piece with the vertical grooves on it.)

Doing that will recess the top of the dishwasher under the counter-top a bit, maybe 1". That's normal for these flat-front dishwashers with bar handles. The other style dishwashers where the front is thicker on top to hold the handle, control panel, etc. don't recess as far under the counter.

Laura

• auntie_ellen boston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I think you're right. We may have the plumber come back or my husband may try to move it.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

On the bottom, you might be missing a cover. It is hard for me to tell from the photos. I do not know which model you have but I have linked to a manual below for one of the 500 series DWs. Page 15 of the manual (which is actually the 17 page of the pdf) shows this two piece set-up.

For moving the DW back, you need to open the door and look up at the bottom front edge of the countertop. There should be a coupple of thin metal brackets that are screwed to the bottom of the counter. There should be one near each front corner or maybe they will be in the corners and mount to the side cabinets. (You can see examples in the like below.) Those screws need to be backed out for the DW to be moved in or out. Again, though, read the installation instructions that cover your specific model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation instructions

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Because this is a granite counter, the screws holding the DW may be in the sides at the front and attach to the cabinets.

Take another picture of the toe kick, but shine a flashlight on it. It's too dark in the pictures.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

JWVideo is right the kickplate is missing.. its flat black with no visible screws or anything.

Also the dw isn't installed correctly mine is painstakingly alligned to the cabinetry and granite and its flushed.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Auntie Ellen, I previously posted a picture for you on the kitchen forum but I saw you posted here too. The picture that shows your DW in relation to the cabinet definitely looks like it is not installed in far enough.

I don't think your toe panel is missing a part though if it is a metal one. Contrary to what jsmith says the toe panel on my 500 series DW has 2 screws. They are black so you really can't see them easily. The install instructions show the metal piece on page 23-24.
    Here is a close up of one side of my toe panel. The screw is in that slot on the left.

{{gwi:1445231}}

And as you can see in this second (blurry) picture the toe kick does not show and the dishwasher is flush with the cabinets
    {{gwi:1445232}}

Hope you get your dishwasher install corrected.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

badgergal is correct i just checked mine (i have a 800 series) and there are screws on the kickplate but it is not visible while standing you have to get right on the floor to see it.

• jscout
    11 years ago

I also have a 500 and it's like badgergal has in the photo. My plumber installed the DW so that the black plate is flush with the cabinet toe kick. I have the SS door, so it sticks out a little farther than the cabinet doors and drawers, but not as far as yours. As a sanity check, I asked my cabinetmaker if the DW was installed correctly and he confirmed that it was supposed to be installed that way. He added that it was one of the few that he's seen installed correctly, because most people have the DW pushed in too far. He also said that if the DW is pushed too far in, the gasket that goes around the outside of the DW might not fit correctly. Since I have soapstone counters, the DW is strapped to the cabinets on either side rather than to the counter. I think if I had a paneled front on the DW, I would probably have more of an issue with the door extending beyond the plane of the cabinets.

• auntie_ellen boston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you jscout. Any chance you could you post a picture? I took some more pics but wasn't able to upload to photobucket this am. I will try again.
    I'm not clear whether you think its too far out or in? And does your toe kick have visble screws and ability to see "behind" those holes and see insulation?

I'd love to see a pic of a stainless front 500 to compare!

• jscout
    11 years ago

My installation:

Flush with toekick:

Side view showing door protrusion:

Showing the DW door only 1/2 inch past drawer front:

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

I got my bosch installed flushed with the cabinets, i was very adamant that it be installed flushed as it was at the end of an island, also i got the kickplate for the cabinetry to do a return right at the dw, it has a built in look except with SS door & handle.

• auntie_ellen boston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photobucket worked today. I have 2 dw (double the trouble) but will show pics of only one. They are both installed the same way. ALMOST in line with the plane of the drawer/door fronts(+0.5 inch) but toe kick way out of line with cabinet toe kick (+2 inches!). I am concerned that if the are now recessed the 2 inches they will look stranger and have cabinet sides exposed. Hopefully pics will demonstrate. Thank you so much for your help!
    Front extending cabinet door

Toe kick extension

And hopefully lighted closeup of kick plate area

How much further could it be recessed? Should it line up with cabinet frame front or doors/drawer fronts (full overlay)?

• jscout
    11 years ago

Ok I think I know what the installer did. They installed the plastic toe panel that extends the bottom of the DW out.

Your gasket looks like mine, so it looks like it was a "proper" installation:

If you look step 24 of the installation guide (very bottom right corner of the document), you will find the instructions for this part. I don't have this part installed and from the looks of it, neither does badgergirl.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch 500 Installation Guide

• jscout
    11 years ago

On further inspection of the installation guide, your DW is one of the "select models" indicated in option 1 of this step. Mine is one of the models "with the metal toe panel only" indicated in option 2.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Even if your dishwasher was pushed in a little bit more that toe kick would be still be sticking out. It seems like the toe kick is installed wrong. The link provided above shows the toe panel installation (illustration #24). Maybe you should take the toe kick apart and try reinstalling that.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

There is a possibility that the depth of the toe-kick of the washer is less than the depth of the toe-kick of the cabinetry.

I still think I would move the unit back another 1/2 inch or so.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

Mine isn't a 500 but here are some pics to see how i got it installed and the kickplate.

• jscout
    11 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out, bojangling. I should have read through all the instructions. So much for trusting everything a trademan says and does (I thought mine were pretty good ones too). :) I think I might have to revisit my DW installation sometime in the near future. Thanks again.

• bojangling
    11 years ago

No problem. I have gleaned so many good tips/advice from this site it's great to give back!