Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dds76110

24' refrigerator only purchase

dds76110
11 years ago

today i was ready to purchase a liebherr 24" column refrigerator, but decided to do one last web check. thereupon i found hundreds of disgruntled users, but most posts were dated in the late 2000's. I've read a lot on this forum about liebherr and already know who does and doesn't care for them.

other mfg who make a 24" refrigerator only include thermador, fador, true, and some very low end models.

i have even considered buying two undercounter units (such as the sub zero since no one seems to berate them except for cost) and build them in vertically.

basically, i'm tired of trying to figure this out and wonder which direction some of you might go in this case.

note that i am not getting an icemaker, and obviously there is no freezer, so perhaps there is less that can go wrong?

as background information, my kitchen will be (someday, if i ever finish it) appropriate to my 1920 bungalow home. My stove is a lovely old 1929 Magic Chef 6000.

any words of reassurance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

True is a commercial fridge and are very loud as they don't need to be overly quiet in a restaurant kitchen setting. DH (who works for a restaurant supply co) tried to talk me into one years ago. I wouldn't have been able to put up with the noise. YMMV.

What were the complaints regarding the Lieb?

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

True makes residential undercounter refrigeration.

The reason there are so little complaints on SZ undercounter refrigeration is because they sell so few. They are very expensive for what you get.

I have a Gagg 24" freezer(kiss'n cousins of the Thermador, Bosch and Miele tower units) and Liebherr 24" All-Refrigerator. You can definetly tell the Gagg is more substantial. But I really like the compartments on the Liebherr and the bio-fresh safes.

I would not stack two undercounter units. I would buy from Liebherr, Thermador,Bosch,Miele or Gagg. The cheap Euro imports like Danby/Summit are exactly that.

• dds76110
    Original Author
    11 years ago

first, obviously i meant 24 INCH refrigerator.

thanks, breezygirl. i agree true is primarily commerical. as a matter of fact, a commercial salesman declined to sell me one as he said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing i had one of those heat and noise generators in my kitchen.

HOWEVER, they also are now making a home line. My appliance store has one at their front desk to keep their drinks in. And it is very very hardy, doesn't generate excess heat and is very quiet. Kudos to True for stepping into the market. unfortunately, i need a full size, not an undercounter model.

.... unless, as i said, i get desperate.....

• dds76110
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you, deeageaux. I'm feeling slightly more comfortable. this forum is considerably more knowledgeable than the one where i found the 103 complaints about liebherr.

• springplanter
    11 years ago

Hi;

Don't know where you are, but just saw this on the Washington DC craigslist. Sounds like a good deal

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/app/3153667004.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/app/3153667004.html

• davidro1
    11 years ago

dds76110 i looked long and hard at the 24" all-fridges too. Then I got a fridge-freezer and fridge drawers.

Where is your freezer going to be?

Before getting into the discussion of which all fridge, I think this is a good question.

• deedles
    11 years ago

deeageaux: upon what do you base your assertion that Danby and Summit are 'cheap'? I understand they aren't in the neighborhood of your luxury fridges, but do you have the firsthand knowledge of using them? We actually use Danby in several areas at my job, and while they are obviously budget, I don't find them to be pieces of junk at all. The couple I have dealings with maintain their temps well, have nice glass shelves, etc. Please expand on your experience?

• dds76110
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all. two things finally impacted my decision to go with the 24" liebherr. one, it is what is under the covers on the meneghini i was drooling over and a person in my neighborhood in fort worth said she wished she had one but couldnt find one at the time she moved here. she said all her friends in germany had them. she said as long as i was willing to be a little flexible (read: european) in my thinking and packaging, i'd do fine.

plus my carpenter said he could make it look like the meneghini.

i'll keep you posted.

d