doctheokie
10 years ago

DH and I have chosen
1. Capital rangetop CGRT366LP
2.GE Cafe FD CFE29TSDSS had appliance store throw in a 5 yr extended warranty

1. FP dishwasher drawers DD24DCTX7
  2. VAH inset BH346PSLDSS
  3. Turbo Chef
    Any opinions on these choices would be appreciated.The Turbo Chef is a leap of faith .

Comments (6)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would go with this insert

Prestige Power Pack UIB401200

so you could go with a 42" hood. A bit cheaper.

With that VAH how big are you planning the hood?

I would also go with Miele Futura Crystal Series G5225SS. More energy and water efficient plus more reliable to boot. Same price.

First two choices arguably best in class.

I take it since I see no other oven on there you are going for the $10k Turbo Chef double ovens. Make sure to come back and post GW's first review in three years. :)

BTW For those that don't know that GE Fridge is made by Samsung.

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deeageaux
    we chose the FP drawers due to bad back and can load top and run since I wash pots and pans by hand. VAH is 42 inch and we like the fire suppression it has.
    Wish I could have seen more reviews on Turbo Chef but DH has no patience so I had to decide.I tried e-mailing the GWer who put the review you sent me to see how she
    liked hers still but received no answer.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

oh, the VAH number listed is 46" wide.

Double Oven Turbo Chef?

Eliz posted that review three years ago.

Might have different email now.

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you know of anyone else that has posted a review on the Double Oven Turbo Chef? Oops your right it is a 46 inch insert. The only item that makes me nervous is the Turbo Chef but hopefully it will work out.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I don't know about another owner review.

Have you seen this article/review?

I am not a big fan of CR but.....

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Mixed review for TurboChef Speedcook

Consumer Reports finds flaws in TurboChef's celebrated Speedcook oven.

by Kim Girard
    May 22, 2008 4:04 PM PDT

TurboChef's Speedcook oven has grabbed some serious attention over the past year, nabbing Sex and the City co-star Kim Cattrall as its spokes-actress and the support of top chef/kitchen stuff endorsers like Charlie Trotter. Fawning articles in Forbes, the New York Times, and Business Week are piling up faster than the oven can roast a chicken.

And boy, can this oven cook fast--up to 15 times faster than any other conventional oven, finishing a rack of lamb in about the time it takes me to shower. It looks pretty spiffy, too, while dusting the competition. (Take that, slow food cookers!!)

At the 2007 TED conference, clearly impressed New York Times tech columnist David Pogue blogged in awe after he watched a presenter use the oven to fix a rack of souffl?s in 90 seconds flat while the "Mission: Impossible" theme played.

Now Consumer Reports is weighing in and the reports are, well, mixed for this double oven model which, at $7,895 is pricier than competing models like the Miele 30-inch MasterChef (about $5,000).

The full review won't be out until CR's upcoming August 2008 issue. In this first look, however, the magazine calls the hot oven "fast but flawed." Reviewers liked that the oven "zipped through frozen hors d'oeuvres in 1 to 2 minutes compared with 15 minutes, a pound of frozen French fries in 4 minutes instead of 25 minutes, and 24 chocolate-chip and butter cookies in 6 minutes."

They also praised the second oven (pictured above) on this model that lets you make dinner and dessert at the same time.

But CR found problems, too, including the Speedcook oven's size (too small) and its cooking controls. "If you're trying to cook something not in the TurboChef's recipe library you're forced to choose a preprogrammed setting for an item similar to what you're cooking," the review says.

Here's the TurboChef spokesman's e-mailed response: The oven can cook anything you can find in your grocery store. It has over 500 preprogrammed cook settings that allow for this. For certain items you'll find more general settings. For instance, I cook a family favorite squash casserole. It cooks up perfectly under a "general casserole" setting.

Consumer Reports also noted that the oven tends to overcook some items and undercook others. "It overcooked drumsticks and wings when we've roasted whole chickens and turkeys. Yet when we've prepared pork tenderloin and roast beef, the oven undercooked the inside while overcooking the outsides."

TurboChef spokesman's response: The oven was designed to give the home cook flexibility with the cook settings. The oven will prompt you 80 percent through the cooking cycle to check the progress of your dish and make the choice to brown less, cook less, do both or continue without change. At 100 percent, you are prompted again to check your food and select (whether to) brown more, cook more, do both, or finish. You can also save those adjustments to your "favorites" if you like, so the next time you cook you get personalized results. (He also recommends that home cooks let meat sit at room temp out of the fridge before cooking and let meat rest after cooking).

The Speedcook oven works using whirling blasts of heated air emitted from the oven's 85 small holes. The air moves at up to 60 mph, heating food inside and out.

Other vendors are speeding up cooking times, too. GE's Advantium microwave (about $1,549), for one, uses its own Speedcook (Hmmmm, did anyone trademark?) technology to roast a whole chicken in 20 minutes.

This leads me to my humble question: to what end?

Speed is good, but I find myself pondering this New York Times reader's post: "Yeah, cook faster, then eat faster, then you can die quickly and be done with it. Where did all the fun go?"

Well the oven does look awfully nice.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-9950369-32.html#ixzz2ZBToyGZv

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you I really appreciate all your help. The above article really doesn't have anything bad to say about them.
    I just need a speed cook oven that DH will like and use and this one seemed perfect for him.I'm calling Turbo Chef tommorrow to ask a ? ot two about service around my area.
    I've researched alot on here and it seems every oven can have problems all one can do is hope they don't get a lemon.