Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noellabelle

Bosch Fridge Nightmare - any advice?

noellabelle
10 years ago

We have had a Bosch Linea Series B22CS50SN for less than 3 years, and it was working fine. Last month, the freezer was running a little warm, keeping most items frozen, besides popcicles and ice cream, and making ice slowly.

We contacted bosch, and they gave me a list of authorized repair places. I had one come out, he said it was fine, just cleaned in the back and charged $133.

The whole unit stopped working it seems as soon as he left. We had to throw out a lot of food, and shove what was salvageable in our small basement fridge.

They came out a 2nd time and said it was a circuit board, which the part would be covered by warranty (not the labor). They said the compressor was fine.

A week and a half later, they came to install the new circuit board, and that didn't fix it. He ordered a 2nd circuit board (he said there were 3 total).

They came out today to install the 2nd circuit board, and not surprisingly, it didn't fix anything. He said before he put it in that my new charges would be $230 for labor. He didn't mention the charges after he failed to fix it, and said he'd order the 3rd circuit board.

Tonight, I got a call from their receptionist (a terrible woman to work with this whole time), and she said that now it's the compressor, and it will be another $450 for labor, $650 for the part, and I still owe them $230.

I really distrust them. First, there are 2 compressors on my unit. Two different repairmen repeatedly said that the compressor was not the problem. It's been 3 weeks, and they've been bad with scheduling and not at all compassionate. I feel like they're really trying to rip me off, and there's no way I want to pay over a thousand dollars on a fridge that I don't even know would fix the problem.

Do I have any options or am I just screwed?

I tried to research the heck out of this purchase and buy a good quality fridge. I am sick of the thought of paying close to the purchase price to fix it less than 3 years after purchasing it.

It feels like they just keep charging and not fixing anything. My dh wonders if they just said it's the compressor so they can keep charging us labor, and even if we say no, they've still made almost $400 for not fixing it at all (and the fridge was working perfectly before they touched it).

Thanks for any advice you have!

Comments (18)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Well, this fridge has one compressor and two evaporators.

So don't let them charge you for two compressors.

Mr. Michael Traub is president and chief executive officer of Bosch Siemens Home Appliances North America. I would write him a letter of your ordeal and ask him if this is what Bosch customers can expect when they buy a Bosch Appliance. And see what resolution he(his office) proposes.

Michael Traub
    BSH Home Appliances Corporation
    1901 Main Street, Suite 600.
    Irvine, CA 92614.

BTW Just as an FYI to people reading this the Bosch Linea freestanding refrigerators are made by Daewoo of Mexico from a Daewoo design. I think the only Bosch made part are the light bulbs. Bosch put their name on it so they have to back it with their warranty and reputation but not a Bosch design.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Don't most refrigerators have a longer warranty on the compressor? If your fridge is only 3 years old, the compressor is likely still covered. In any case, I would probably not use this same company for that repair. Did they leave you your old parts or did they take the parts with them when they left?

I would do as deeagaux suggests and contact Bosch to see if they can intervene. You shouldn't have to pay for parts that you didn't need because the technician misdiagnosed the problem, but I sure don't know what recourse you have or how you can fight it on your own.

What a nightmare! Good luck.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

For standard fridges 1 year warranty is pretty standard.

High-end/built-in fridges have 3 plus year warranties with compressors-sealed system covered for 6-12 years.

• weissman
    10 years ago

Have you paid them any labor charges yet or given them a credit card? If not I would let them keep going until they fix it (if they every do :-) and then "negotiate" the labor charges with them. I certainly wouldn't pay for any labor that didn't fix any thing. Frankly you can refuse to pay any bills they send you. Document everything especially the repairs that didn't fix anything. Yes they can send the bills to collection agencies if they choose to but you can tell them to f-off if you choose to and retaliate by reporting them to the BBB, etc. I hope you didn't sign anything after a repair that didn't fix anything. If you owe them money you have the leverage.

Years, ago my furnace had sporadic problems. The first repair team couldn't find anything but charged me for cleaning the furnace which I paid. It happened again - they couldn't find anything but didn't charge me. Then the furnace died for good - it was the gas valve - the third guy replaced it, claimed it was a new problem and wanted to charge me for both the part and labor. I refused to sign for the repair. They billed me for both the part and the labor - I called and told them I'd happily pay for the part but not the labor - they were thrilled with that. My point is: after you get all their bills - call them and tell them you'll pay the final labor charge which fixed the problem but none of the others - they may well agree.

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on contacting bosch today, but I will write the ceo as well.... Thanks for that info.

I paid the first visit with a check. It had a place to sign, but they didn't ask me for my signature. When they were out here, they said that the part would be covered but not the labor. I was fine paying the labor if they actually fixed it, but it feels like they had no idea what was wrong and really benefit from not fixing but still charging.

I think the compressor warranty was one or two years. Electrical was five years.

• jakvis
    10 years ago

As a Bosch authorized servicer I am required to warranty my labor. I'm sure your servicer is also required to warranty their labor. Get Bosch involved and have them get their Field Service manager involved, You will get help from them.

Deeageaux. the B22CS is built by BSH in a BSH factory. It was the B20CS that was built by Daewoo.

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I contacted Bosch this morning, and they are submitting my case to their management, for either replacement or help with repair costs. I'm crossing my fingers for a replacement, as I would be really ecstatic to not have to work anymore with the appliance repair company.

jakvis, that's really good to know. If there's no negative consequence to them fixing things, it seems really badly skewed against the consumer. They had some good but lots of bad reviews online, mostly against their receptionist (which I totally agree with)...the techs were pleasant enough but ineffective.

I'll post an update when I hear back from Bosch.

Thanks again!

• weissman
    10 years ago

Glad it's working out - much better to pay things like this with credit cards rather than check - much more leverage.

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

I finally heard back from Bosch today, as it took awhile for them to tell me that they needed all the service records faxed from the appliance repair place.

Their offer is 50% off the compressor if I order it directly from them.

I am really leaning towards just getting a new fridge. Even if we save $200-300 on the cost of the compressor (the repair place quoted $650 and $450, but I was so surprised by their call I didn't remember which number was the part and what was the labor).

The repair place was actually not as bad to deal with when I called them to fax the records of what they replaced to bosch. The woman didn't seem to remember me, and she said in passing that they weren't charging me for the labor on the circuit boards, since they didn't fix the problem. When she called me before, she definitely said that I owed them that $.

But since I already paid $133, and I would be paying probably $700-800 for the compressor repair after Bosch's "help", plus then likely having to pay the $230 for past repairs if it is indeed the compressor and the problem is actually "fixed". I feel like spending $1000+ on a repair that I don't even know will fix the problem is a risky gamble. I think I'd rather just buy a cheaper fridge with an extended warranty.

I thought I was done with appliance shopping! Now I'm going to drive my kids nuts talking about refrigerators again! : )

• HU-201089981
    3 years ago

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to share your experience. More people need to do that. My husband is a Bosch fan, big time, we are not allowed to buy anything else BUT BOSCH!!! Our 6 year old BOSCH fridge just died with no warning, we have to throw out all of the food: shrimp, steaks, roasts, fish etc. So painful. Repair man came and said it " could be the circuit board". One costs $700.00 to replace plus labor, and no guarantee that it is not the compressor. If the circuit board is not the problem, he will try the compressor. What the hell???? In the meantime we are without a fridge. I tried buying a new one and definitely not a BOSCH this time, but there is a 2 weeks wait time for delivery.

Can someone share the Bosch Customer Service contact info with me please and thanks. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Lita

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Look above in this thread for contact info

• Ivonne Nieves
    2 years ago

OMG!!! Thanks to above comments..I will definitely stay away from Bosh..I was just looking and almost ordered the b36cl80sns model for $3,200. instead I am just going to look for something about half price since Bosh or other brands seem to just go out or need repairs in 3-4 years after purchase.

• Kelley Crittenden
    2 years ago

I bought a Bosch refrigerator thinking that Bosch was a great company. Boy was I wrong! It worked for a month and Stopped working right before Labor Day.

It’s November 30 and I still don’t have working fridge!

When this happened end of August, I was on hold for 45 minutes twice in one day. They said repair person would arrive the next day and even gave me a reference number. I called repair place to confirm and they said never heard from Bosch and said it was not the first time this had happened. I was on hold for three hours that same day with Tech support hoping it was an easy, Not!
    It took a week for the repair man to come.

He’s been here four times now replacing parts and still doesn’t work. I think part of the problem is the supply chain issue, waiting, waiting for parts. As of yesterday 11/29/21 to start appeal for new fridge (which I really don’t want a Bosch fridge! Just refund my money please!) the Bosch representatives hung up on me twice. I wasn’t belligerent just stating the facts. Finally in third try a Bosch customer service rep stayed on line till they made sure I wouldn’t be hung up on.

To date, I’m still waiting for info two days now from repair company so I can start formal appeal. Also going to write CEO and the other big shot referenced in above comments ( who btw is someone different )

I didn’t follow my own advice which is not to buy complicated appliances. The repair man said he never works on Whirlpool and GE. That’s where I’m going next. Never Bosch!

• HU-69225310
    last year

Bosch customer service is horrible. I have had my fridge for 6 months and they have been out on 3 separate repair calls. Food spoiled when compressor went out and I was told to send in receipts. They did not reimburse for spoiled food.. it takes over an hour to get someone on the phone. NEVER purchasing another Bosch product again!

• Kelley Crittenden
    last year

Bosch never did refund for haul away and dump fee as they promised. I wrote several letters and gave up with disgust! Never Bosch!

• Maurice Auger
    4 months ago

Ive been trying to get our Bosh french door refrigerator repaired for the last four weeks! hours on hold with customer service and a lot of ”apologizing” later and we are still waiting. faulty circuit boards seems to be the problem. customer service just kicking the can with no results. did i mention that it is only 1 year and 24 days old! would not buy another Bosh product.

• clive chotalal
    2 months ago

did you ever get to the root of the problem with your fridge . i have a bosch fridge 18 monts old and the fridge is dead . i have replace the 3 boards and still no luck not even lighting up