Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help a newbie with KitchenAid choices?

Posted by Jennifer2413 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 21:23

We are getting ready to do our first kitchen remodel -- replacing all four major appliances with stainless steel. We've never bought appliances before, and this is my first post here. (So go easy. ;-)

We have a discount hookup for anything in the Whirlpool family (Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air) so it has to be those brands, leaning towards mostly KA.

Right now, am thinking:

Fridge -- KFXS25RYMS, 4 door French door 25 cu ft. Standard depth, even though it will stick out a bit, much to our decorator's horror. The other choice would be the 21.8 cu ft counter depth French door one, but I really want more room.

Freestanding 30 inch Gas Range/Double Oven: KGRS505XSS
Also like the slide in Architect series one, KGSS907SSS, with a single oven.

I'd like to save some money on a simple, no frills microwave. Can't find many reviews for this Whirlpool, but it seems straightforward: WMH31017AS

This Maytag 1.6 cubic feet is well reviewed and similarly priced: MMV1164W

The KA microwaves are really stretching our budget.

Dishwasher -- Leaning towards KUDC10FXSS from the KA classic line. (With integrated console, but no pot scrubbing.)

KUDS30IXSS, from the Superba line, has the pot scrubbing but no integrated console and got some strongly negative reviews online, which makes me nervous. But similar in price.

Also considering spending more for KUDS35FXSS, from the Architect series. (Does anyone know the difference between this one and KUDS30FXSS?)

FWIW, a friend swears by Maytag mdb7759aws, which is a similar look and features, but at a lower price point.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, alternatives appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help a newbie with KitchenAid choices?

I'll tell you...I lean more towards the basic lines. Amana and Maytag are my favorites. They make good, reliable, appliances. No frills, but they work consistently. It seems that the more features that are added and the associated higher price tag, the greater the tendency for things to break. I love when a company remains true to what they do best.

All that being said, I'm getting the KA counter depth fridge for the new remodel. I currently have a Kenmore (Maytag) French door and I love it. Works fantastic, hasn't needed service in 7 years and plenty of room.

Like you, my designer is horrified that I want a std depth fridge. I agreed to the CD for now, but it remains to be seen if it will last. I do like the interior layout of the KA 36, but not the 42. One of the big selling features is that the 36 retained the single deli drawer. I currently use mine for everything ....big platters when we have parties, kids snack foods because that's where they can reach, overflow of whatever I've purchased. I would hate to go back to a divided drawer like in the 42 and the jenn Air 42 has the same divided drawer so I ruled that out.

The KA fits an 18" round platter and a large pizza box.

I'm jealous that your going to get the std depth though. I love a big fridge that holds lots!

o

I'll tell you...I lean more towards the basic lines. Amana and Maytag are my favorites. They make good, reliable, appliances. No frills, but they work consistently. It seems that the more features that are added and the associated higher price tag, the greater the tendency for things to break. I love when a company remains true to what they do best.

All that being said, I'm getting the KA counter depth fridge for the new remodel. I currently have a Kenmore (Maytag) French door and I love it. Works fantastic, hasn't needed service in 7 years and plenty of room.

Like you, my designer is horrified that I want a std depth fridge. I agreed to the CD for now, but it remains to be seen if it will last. I do like the interior layout of the KA 36, but not the 42. One of the big selling features is that the 36 retained the single deli drawer. I currently use mine for everything ....big platters when we have parties, kids snack foods because that's where they can reach, overflow of whatever I've purchased. I would hate to go back to a divided drawer like in the 42 and the jenn Air 42 has the same divided drawer so I ruled that out.

The KA fits an 18" round platter and a large pizza box.

I'm jealous that your going to get the std depth though. I love a big fridge that holds lots!

o

Thanks, Flevy. My husband said, "I am NOT spending $40k on a kitchen only to get a fridge SMALLER than our current one!" (And more expensive, too...)

So now I'm leaning towards the Superba Architect DW but still need a microwave option. Whirlpool? Maytag? Amana? Anyone?

o

Must you get an OTR MW? They're not a good choice, unless you are very space-constrained. A hood and an inexpensive countertop MW you could stick on a shelf would be a better choice, if you have the space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here