Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

True counter depth fridge in white?

sochi
10 years ago

Hi there,

i'm going to need a true counter depth fridge (24-25" depth), ideally not in SS, so likely white. Has anyone ever seen such a beast? I'm having trouble finding one. Thanks.

Comments (22)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Summit FF882W cheap top freezer model.

Then there is the Vikings I would not recommend, those are built-ins in white.

Most people that want 24-25" get a custom panel built-in or integrated fridge and put a white panel that matches their cabinets. Usually a wood panel.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks deeageaux. I've never heard of Summit, I will look into them. What are your concerns with Viking?

Custom paneling is my second choice. It is for a rustic modern kitchen at a cottage, I need to consider if panelling would be appropriate.

Thanks again.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Viking? The consistent and unusually high number of complaints about their fridges breaking down. Virtually all of their appliances, really.

They were recently purchased by Middleby, a large number of management were rifed,retired, or otherwise no longer with the company. Including the president and founder. And they are reassessing how much former Viking manufacturing capacity they need. Sound great for company morale ? Does not sound like the ingredients for a quick turnaround in quality.

In my opinion rustic, shabby chic, distressed finish to wood panels would be more appropriate for a "rustic modern kitchen" in a cottage than shiny white brand new finished refrigerator.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deeageaux, agree with about panels, I just haven't thought through what the kitchen cabinets will look like just yet. White is certainly the norm in cottages around here, but not necessarily the best fit. Thanks for your help and the interesting info on Viking.

NorthStar has a 24" fridge in various colours, pricey though. Wider than the Summit which is fine.

• djdoggone
    10 years ago

Fisher & Paykel has one. We are looking and can't speak to longevity but local store did warn that it takes a long time to get parts. It is not expensive or high-end but it is white and counter-depth.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Re Viking. I began with a Viking "kitchen" except for DW. Slowly replacing.

Recently the fridge needed service, not unreasonable after 10 years not unreasonable even at $175 flat fee + 15 mins then $35 every 15 minutes thereafter. 3 weeks for first appointment. 2 weeks for follow up including part being ordered. Will likely be $500 or so for the 2-1/2 hour repair. Very competent tech, prompt arrival, good follow up but there are only 2 techs at the service company for a big area of NY & NJ.

Issue is with freon to keep fridge & freezer cold. Meanwhile, interior temperature rises too high and the open door alarm goes off at any time. 4 in the morning.

I called to ask how to disable the alarm until the tech comes next week. "We don't provide tech support to customers over the phone," was the response.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:52

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Aren't all the Northstar refrigerators grossly overpriced Whirlpools with retro 1950's Mid Century Modern styled door skins?

In a rustic modern Cottage?

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rococo, what a story. Awful customer service. At least the tech was good. Thanks for sharing.

Deeageaux, yes, that's the one. At the moment I'm just trying to identify what options might exist, putting aside how well they might work with the space for the moment. 1950s isnt a great fit, but I might not mind a new take on a '70s fridge, chocolate brown would be nice. But I know in a very small minority in my appreciation for brown 1970s fridges...

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

If you are willing to take a chance on Viking

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're kidding! I didn't even check the Viking site, but now that I see it in brown I think I used it a few months back in one of the design around threads on the kitchen forum! I love it! Now I just hope it is too expensive for a cottage kitchen so I don't have to contend with the dodgy product.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

With custom color ~$10k.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phew, too much for a part time kitchen I think.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Same refrigerator as Northstar minus the silly styling.

Shown in vintage white.

AGA Legacy ~$3.6K

This post was edited by deeageaux on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 22:53

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Why not look for bisque/bone?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Why not look for bisque/bone?

I have not seen a "counter-depth" bisque refrigerator that is not close to 30" deep and ugly.

Do you have one in mind?

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bookworm, I'm open to many colours, just not SS, and I'm trying to be pretty open minded at this stage, so do feel free to recommend something if you know of a bisque fridge that might work.

deeageauux, that Aga looks great. Clearly I'm way out of date on appliances, I didn't even know Aga carried a line of refrigerators. Much closer to my target price than Viking too, thanks.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Have you looked at SMEG?

Depth w/o handles is 26", only 1/2" more than a standard 25.5" counter. The doors on the Viking on the picture above seem to stick out at least that much.

As far as I know, SMEG fridges have a good reputation and are very popular. And they come in all sorts of cool colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: SMEG fridge

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Smeg is a bachelor or bachelorette fridge.

It has 9.22 cu ft of space.

AGA has 19.8 cu ft of space.

More that twice as much.

• eleena
    10 years ago

But it is for a cottage, not main home? Am I wrong?

And it is about half the price of AGA. I think SMEG fridges often promotions too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the AGA but I am not sure I'd want to spend that much for a place where I spend only 2-3 months.

Anyway, I was just sharing an idea....

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The main home has a Gaggenau fridge and sochi said the AGA is near their price range.

Plus, even if you are spending one month in the cottage you do want a freezer, no?

No just a freezer compartment with an ice tray, not even an ice maker. It is manual defrost which has to be manually defrosted regularly or it will ice up in no time leaving the small freezer compartment into nothing and when you open getting ice crystals all over you fridge.

If you plan to use a cottage as a second home I would definitely want a full size fridge. Only if you use the cottage as a hotel room would I consider an apartment size refrigerator. And it would have to have auto or no frost freezer. I don't go on vacation to defrost my freezer compartment.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation eleena, I love Smeg fridges. I would consider a smaller fridge like the Smeg for the cottage, but DH is reluctant. I think we do need a nearly full size at any rate.

I also posted on the kitchen forum about my layout - the fridge is on a 40" aisle, so I also think I need a french door fridge given the modest size of the kitchen. So it is quite the tall order - counter depth, nearly full size, french doors ... and not too expensive. So far the Aga looks like a great option, although of course I'd be happier paying less!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Sochi,

You originally said true counter -depth 24-25".

That is almost always $$$$, the exception being that fugly Summit.

Then you brought up that ugly Northstar. The French Door Counter-depth is 26 3/8 deep and cost $5,600.

I told you about the AGA Legacy which is the exact same fridge minus the ugly door skins plus good looking door skins for $3,600. If you have not seen the vintage white in person you should look for a local dealer that has an AGA appliance in vintage white.

If you don't want beautiful and willing to settle for ordinary.
    KitchenAid Architect Series II KBFS20EVWH. It is the same exact fridge as the Northstar and AGA but with a standard white door skin. It is 26 7/8 deep purely from the door skin and it cost $1700.