Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2754028

Newish dishwasher will not run

User
9 years ago

Suddenly my Kitchen Aid DW, which has been great until today, will not run tonight. It's July 3rd and since it's a holiday weekend, I assume all the customer service people won't be able to address this until Monday.

If someone on GW can help me tonight that would be great. Otherwise I will call for service on Monday after the holiday weekend.

So it's a 1.5 year old Kitchen Aid KUDE70FXSS.

I pushed the buttons to start the cycle and shut it. It sounded like it was going to run, but then instead it stopped and is showing the green blinking light. So I opened it and there is a green light by the "clean" indicator. And none of the buttons inside will respond at all.

I looked through the manual and there's nothing there to give me an idea of what to do.

Thanks for any replies. Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July.

Comments (12)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Do a power-reset by unplugging the unit for a few mins, or find and turn off the circuit breaker for a few minutes if that's easier. Restore the power and check what's the result.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I turned the breaker off for a few minutes and back on again, but the problem persists. I will call customer service tomorrow. The appliance store where I bought the DW is open on Saturday, so I hope to get a customer service response earlier than Monday.

• fillmoe
    9 years ago

Good luck, and in the meantime, try the unplug routine a couple more times, leaving it off for 5 or more minutes. I had a similar problem with my stove, and gave up, but when the repairman came, voila! It was working again, which he said was probably due to my "hard re-set."

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Could be a bad control panel if the buttons aren't responding. Not unusual the panel fails after some years of use. I know of two Whirlpools and a KitchenAid among friends that needed the control panel replaced within the past 3 years, all at about 10 years of age. Your case with a newer unit is just (bad) luck of the draw.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a 5 year warranty that I paid extra for. Would the control panel be covered? The service company is closed until Monday.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Surely it would be covered by an extended warranty.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Whirlpool covers electronics for 5 years under the standard warranty, so you should be fine. Don't know if they pay for labor though, so your extended warranty will still come in handy.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

KA uses blink codes to tell what kind of failure it is. How many times does it blink?

Also, if you look on line, you should be able to find how to reset it from this state. It is some kind of 3-finger salute (press 3 keys at once and cluck like a chicken or some such).

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Also, and this is really a stretch, does this puppy have a child resisting lock sequence?

• sas95
    9 years ago

We had a similar sounding issue and it turned out to be the control panel. Our KA was only 2-1/2 years old. The electronics were still under warranty but it was such a hassle getting someone from Whirlpool to come out that we ended up trading it in for a Miele. I hope you have better luck with yours.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, on the blink code thing, it is blinking 4 times, pausing and blinking again. The manual says that is a control panel issue.

There's nothing in the manual about the 3-fingered reset, or clucking like a chicken, doing a dance, or some such.

I'll try to search the internet for the 3-finger thing, but if someone already know what this is please post.

Thanks.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Generally owners manuals don't explain the error codes. They want you to call for service. The service manual is what you need, and I've linked it below. Be patient, it's a big file, it will take a while to load. I recommend using the "Download" button in the upper right corner to save it to your computer. Error F4E4 points to a problem with either the motor itself, its fuse, or the circuit that controls it. I'm finding this information on page 5-8. In any case it doesn't seem like it will be a quick/easy fix and will probably require parts. I would definitely wait until Monday and call for service under your extended warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid KUDE/KUDL 2013 Service Manual

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 21:41