Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herg39458

induction range - ge phs920sfss vs elux ei30if40ls

herg39458
9 years ago

Hello,

We are doing a remodel and are planning to move to an induction range. These are the two models we are considering at the moment.

Generally I like the Elux more for the burner layout as it has the bridge component as well, which I think we would use a lot. DW like to bake a LOT so oven performance is important.

The electronics issues some people have with Elux ranges are a concern, although I have not found any of the notorious E15 reports on the current range. Not sure if that is because the issue has been fixed or if this range just hasn't been around long enough for those issue to manifest.

Certainly the slide-in profile of the GE is more attractive, but it also comes with the $1000 slide-in tax.

Has anyone purchased the Elux range? Had the problems? Can anyone give feedback on the oven performance of either?

thanks

Comments (18)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

You know the GE is available in a freestanding model like the Electrolux --- the phB920 -- which often seems to be priced in the same neighborhood as E-lux model?

Both the GE models -- slide-in (phS920) and freestanding (phB920) --- have two 8-inch diameter burners on the left which can be bridged to use griddles and large roasting pans. You just have to set each each burner rather than linking them and adjusting with a single control. The trade off between the GE and the Elux seems to be this: is it handier to have a pair of 8-inch burners you adjust separately when bridging or a pair of 7-inch burners that can be linked to a single control when bridging?

The GE models also have a full-size (2500w) third oven element for convection baking where the Elux uses a more typical 350w convection element in a slightly larger oven-space. If anybody has done much convection baking with one of the newer GE ranges, it would be interesting to hear how well the multi-rack convection works and if the full-size third oven element is a useful enahncement.

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JWVideo, thanks for the response.

That is helpful - I wondered whether the bridge feature was more under the cooktop than just linking the controls of the two burners. I think we could probably hack having to do them both separately in the griddle scenario...

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, one other point I would be interested is the cooktop space for the slide-in vs. the standalone. I know the slide-in profile is allegedly better without the big backstop of a standalone range, but is that actually true? Seems like I have read several posts that the back lip of the slide-in gets in the way anyway, though I am not sure I have seen anything about that on this particular GE range.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I think it was jebrooks who recently took some pans and tested the cooktop room on various induction ranges to reconfirm what several of us had reported. Can't recall if it was posting here or over on chowhound (possibly both), but basically the space on the slide-in looks more open but is about 19" deep whereas you've got more like 21+ inches of depth with a freestanding range before you pans are banging against the backsplash, My recollection is that jebrooks did report on the PHS920 slide-in.

There is a long thread on the 920 slide in. The link is below if you haven't seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 920 slide in thread

• jebrooks
    9 years ago

As JWVideo says, I was able to find both the PHS920 and PHB920 ranges on showroom floors. The slide in is visually more spacious but is actually not as roomy as the free standing range.

When I put a 12" skillet and a 3 quart saucepan on the left burners of the slide in GE they fit with ZERO space between. The control panel in the front and trim piece in the back of the cook top are so tall that the sloping sides of the skillet interfered touched the front, the skillet touched the saucepan, and the saucepan touched the rear trim.

On the free standing range there is room for a 13" skillet and 3 quart saucepan, although you would need to place them slightly off-center over the hobs.

I purchased the PHB920 and have no complaints. I'm not much of a baker, but what I've done has been at least as good as my old oven. I baked a pie just to see how it worked and the crust was evenly browned. I haven't tried convection yet.

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JWVideo - Thanks for the link to the 920 slide -in thread

jebrooks - Thanks for the note, that is pretty tight. GE makes CAD drawings for those ranges available so I measure via that and it looked like somewhere between 1 and 2 inches deeper on the GE freestanding range.

So you 12" skillet works on one of the 8" hobs?

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if one were to make a list of noteworthy pros for slide-in vs. freestanding, would this be about right?

Slide-in
    - More appealing appearance integrated into cabinets
    - Controls in front

Freestanding:
    - Bigger cooktop
    - Bigger (deeper) oven
    - Costs $1000 less

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

>>>"So your 12" skillet works on one of the 8" hobs?" Generally, yes. The rule of thumb is burner diameter plus 1" is good for even heating and most 12" frypans have bases that are around 9" in diameter. Some owners of the new Elux and Frigidiare ranges report being fine with 12" fry pans on those ranges' 7" hobs, too. (IIRC, a google search on "gardenweb+Seattlelandlord + induction" may turn up the thread.) Obviously, pan construction and materials can affect this, as well.

list of pros for slide-ins versus freestanding

That pretty much sums it up for me.

You could add that a slide in also looks more spacious.

Also, sometimes a slide-in oven is shallower than on the corresponding free-style range, but sometimes it is the same size as, IIRC, is the case with the GE slide-in and freestanding induction ranges.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Look at reviews of both the GE's and the Elux.
    Pay close attention to the review dates so you are not
    looking at "Old Info".

As much as I like my Elux oven, speed oven, Wine fridge and Elux Induction cooktop, from reading the reviews I've recently seen on the Elux Induction Ranges and the GE Induction Ranges, I would go with the GE. At least, at this point in time, It seems to be the safer bet.

But do read those reviews for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Gary

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I ordered an Electrolux slide in induction earlier today to replace my GE smoothtop radiant slide in that is only 4 years old. I had no problems with it, and really liked the oven, and I guess the cooktop was as good as smoothop radiant cooktops can get, with a bunch of options like bridge, multi tier burners, and a warming zone. But after I tried induction, I was hooked. I assume the oven will be equally great in the Electrolux but I'm not as worried about that as the cooktop since I have a separate KitchenAid wall oven with steam assist that I really like.

I went with Electrolux over GE for a few reasons:

-I was able to get a killer deal that was not staying around for long, and I couldn't get on GE

-I liked the Wave Touch controls and overall look on the Electrolux better

-For some reason, this GE range, which costs over twice as much as the basic smoothtop radiant, has a fraction of the convection cooking modes my current GE has. Looking at the control panel all the PHS920 can do is Bake, where my current GE can do Bake, Roast, Proof, and Warm. I used all those modes. Not that big a deal, and nobody needs those modes, but why would they DOWNGRADE the features? Electrolux has all those modes and more.

-Electrolux wall ovens and induction cooktops get such great reviews. I just can't imagine how they can screw up a combination of them.

I did see SOME positive reviews, which give me hope. I will be sure to let this forum know if it turns into a disaster.

In the meantime, anyone want a great deal on a good looking, 4 year old, feature packed, well taken care of GE slide in with radiant smoothtop and convection oven? :)

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>>>
    Look at reviews of both the GE's and the Elux.
    Pay close attention to the review dates so you are not
    looking at "Old Info".
    As much as I like my Elux oven, speed oven, Wine fridge and Elux Induction cooktop, from reading the reviews I've recently seen on the Elux Induction Ranges and the GE Induction Ranges, I would go with the GE. At least, at this point in time, It seems to be the safer bet.

But do read those reviews for yourself and come to your own conclusion.
    Gary, thanks for the post. To some degree that is the problem - there are a decent number of reviews of the previous Electrolux model, but the ei30if40ls does not seem to have much at all. There seems to have been a control board issue in the older model, one thing I was wondering was if that might be fixed in the newer one. Not sure whether the lack of reviews shows it is fixed, or just has not been around long enough for that problem to appear.

That said, I think I am leaning toward the GE freestanding range and not the slide in. Having a cramped cooktop drives me nuts.

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech42:

Thanks for the post. That is good reasoning. Basically, I want to want the Electrolux more, but I might feel more comfortable with the reliability of the GE given the control board issue.

If I may, where did you get it? Did you order it online, or find a local deal? Even though I have ordered tons of relatively expensive stuff online, including TVs, computers, etc., for some reason I feel a little uneasy about ordering a range.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It was a local deal. That said, I'm not opposed to ordering major appliances online and have done it before. If you go that route just make sure that you're buying from an authorized dealer so you get the warranty (super important for an appliance like this with tons of electronic boards). And be sure to check reviews of the merchant. I think the big ones like Ajmadison, ABT, etc are safe.

• newenglandsara2
    9 years ago

hvtech42, any chance the local deal was in the Boston area? We really want the Elux induction slide-in range, but it never seems to get discounted. :-)

Congrats on the new range!

Sara

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sadly there was only one, it was on Craigslist. They bought it, then put off their remodel, it sat around unused for a long time, and then they finally got going with the kitchen renovation and decided to go with a separate wall oven and cooktop instead. Unfortunately it sat around so long that the warranty expired, which is part of the reason they were selling it so cheap. I haven't plugged it in yet, but even if it's dead out of the box I will still be money ahead if I have to buy some parts. Keep looking, you'll find some good deal even if it's not on this exact range. One way to go about this is to look for discontinued models:

Frigidaire FPCS3085LF was made by Electrolux. It was hybrid induction, so I think it had 2 induction burners and 2 radiant. You may like the radiant option if you currently have some non-induction compatible cookware you really like and don't want to throw away.

GE PHS25STSS was the predecessor to the PHS920.

Both of the above ranges were slide in and got good reviews when they were available.

• newenglandsara2
    9 years ago

hvtech42, I am so glad that you got a great deal! Shortly after you wrote, i also happened (inspired by you) to find a local deal. However, I am nervous about the reliability of the Electrolux slide-in. You sound handy, but we are not. :-) I kept reading that the control panel can die on these units and that there are some issues with sagging after install and with the plastic coming off. My husband and I are nervous to buy something cheap that might require us to spend a lot out of pocket. It is such a tough call. I hope that your purchase works out beautifully! I LOVE the look and features of that range.

Great suggestion on the GE! My husband does not like the look of it, but maybe I can convince him...The Frigidaire probably wouldn't work for us since all of our cookware is already compatible with induction (and we greatly prefer it to electric.)

Many thanks again!

Sara

• williamsem
    9 years ago

If you are looking at the GE (we LOVE our GE induction, had it about 18 months) see if anyone you know works for any division of GE. Any employee can invite friends, neighbors, or anyone they want to use the friends and family store. They have decent prices compared to other retailers, run rebates almost constantly, and occasionally offer other stuff like free shipping.

• herg39458
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, everybody. We still have a little time to decide but I think we are leaning toward the GE.