Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

Giant Vent Hood or Two Separate Hoods?

dutty
11 years ago

Greetings all,

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I am getting a 48" range with a grill. I will also be putting in a Wolf integrated deep fryer that will require ventilation. I would like to put these two appliances adjacent to each other so that they can both utilize the same hood otherwise I need to raise the cabinetry over the fryer to higher than the rest of the run and install a pull out vent. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a vent hood liner that can span close to 70"?

2. Someone mentioned that the fryer would be dangerous right next to the stove but I'm not sure I understand why... is this correct?

3. If I should separate them, how far apart should they be?

4. If they must be separated, I'm thinking I'd keep them as close as possible and still build a large cabinet hood structure but inside the hood put two separate liners, one at 48" for the range and one small one over the fryer. Is this possible?

5. I know this is a stupid question but I'm still not clear... when I buy a liner, are there more pieces required? I thought I read I would need a blower in addition to the liner but I can't wrap my brain around how it all works.

Thanks everyone for any help or advice you can offer!

Dutty

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    11 years ago

1) Modernaire can make one for you any size.

2) I would check with the Fryer manufacturer, and local code for guidance.

3) I would suggest going for 1 unit, but if that is not going to work out then put two 34" ones next to each other.

4) as above

5) Some companies make you buy each part separately, ie Insert, Liner, Blower, baffles, even bulbs sometimes. Again Modernaire unit comes all in one as do some others.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

The issue with a fryer next to an active flame is the chances of a grease fire increase exponentially. If you did that, you'd want a restaurant quality fire suppression system installed in the hood. I'd want at least 24"-36" between the two if you're going to install them on the same cabinet run. However, unless you deep fry at least 4-5x a week, you're spending thousands for something that won't be used enough to really get your money's worth. PLUS the extra thousand or two for proper ventilation for it.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I agree with Live Wire Oak that a dedicated deep fryer appliance is not worth the cost and the trouble. As to one giant vent hood vs. two separate, definitely, one giant. Deeageaux recently posted a video with Gwyneth Paltrow cooking in her kitchen. She has a Blue Star range and next to it a separate griddle. Spanning the whole thing is quite the giant hood. Has the look of a Modernaire, but I can't say for certain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gwyneth Paltrow Video in Her Kitchen

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I agree with Live Wire Oak that a dedicated deep fryer appliance is not worth the cost and the trouble. As to one giant vent hood vs. two separate, definitely, one giant. Deeageaux recently posted a video with Gwyneth Paltrow cooking in her kitchen. She has a Blue Star range and next to it a separate griddle. Spanning the whole thing is quite the giant hood. Has the look of a Modernaire, but I can't say for certain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gwyneth Paltrow Video in Her Kitchen

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I do a lot of frying... a lot and don't think the appliance would go unused BUT I certainly don't want to create a fire hazard.

Pardon my utter ignorance on this issue but when you say grease fire, you mean inside the actual deep fryer? Why would it be any more dangerous than me having my pan full of oil on the stovetop? Or are you talking about inside the venting duct?

• kaseki
    11 years ago

One issue with giant hoods is that to keep the air velocity up in the hood, the air flow rate (cfm) has to be proportionately higher to ensure that the captured effluent is contained. This somewhat depends on the depth of the hood from aperture entrance to the baffles.

It would also be more economical, MUA-wise, to have separate hoods if both don't have to run at full power at the same time.

Separation distance is something that your local code authority might have an opinion on, and it would be wise to find it out before laying out the kitchen plan.

If the hood is competently designed and routinely cleaned, fire risk would be in the fryer itself or its surfaces.

Fire suppression systems (in addition to fires themselves) will be incompatible with wood floors, and wood cabinets. An all-tile kitchen with floor drain and stainless steel cabinets would be desirable.

kas

• kayakboy
    11 years ago

if you follow the link and go to page 14-15, there is a kitchen with a giant vent hood that looks really nice.

article says vent-ahood, but not which model.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen trends

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kayakboy!

The one good thing is my design is very "un-flourishy" so I think I could totally get away with something like this! I'm not sure who I'd go to for help on the issue though. I'll have a cabinet guy but not really a kitchen designer... hmmm.

• amcook
    11 years ago

With regard to code for deep fryer placement in a commercial kitchen, refer to the National Fire Protection Assosication:

NFPA 96
    12.1.2.4 All deep fat fryers shall be installed with at least a 406-mm (16-in.) space between the fryer and surface flames from adjacent cooking equipment.

I'm not claiming that this regulation is in building codes in all areas but it is a guideline. In my experience many inspectors will site "outside" sources such as these if local codes are not clear about requirements. Also keep in mind that if this is a commercial fryer unit, it may not meet safety requirements to be installed in a residential location. If you are building under permit, best to get all of this signed off by the planning department with specifics so that inspectors won't apply their own interpretation of code after you've already committed thousands of dollars to a certain configuration or plan.

Good luck.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I think I remember that some people install two separate side x side vents with a single custom hood across them. Maybe this allows you to use only one vent when you don't need both?
    I'm sure someone here knows if this can be done and what the advantages/disadvantages are.

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THanks for the info, amcook!

This is not a commercial fryer. It's made by Wolf and its meant to be in a residential kitchen but I couldn't find specific info on installation specs other than the cabinets needed to be raised above it. I'm not wanting cabinets but rather the vent hood. I looked at the installation guide and didn't find the info regarding the proximity to the stove but maybe I'll go back and check... I've been known to miss obvious things. :D

• dutty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, sure enough... I missed it. The following language was on a side-bar that I didn't see:

"The fryer module must be installed at least 15" (381) from any open-flame cooking device or a Wolf steamer module. The open flame may cause ignition of oil, and contact between water and hot oil may cause burns."

If 15" is the minimum, I'd probably just go to 24".