Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veech_gw

capital range, therma-tek affiliation

veech
12 years ago

Does anyone know if Capital Range (residential ranges) and Therma-Tek Range (commercial ranges) are related?

There seems to be some commonality about their origins and design.

Comments (25)

• jscout
    12 years ago

Yes, they are affiliated. Therma-Tek is the commercial side of the biz. See page three of the Therma-Tek catalog where it lists Surjit Kalsi as the Chairman:
    http://www.therma-tek.com/PDFs/product_catalog.pdf

He's also head of Capital. Check out his 2011 NKBA Hall of Fame induction video on Youtube. He's also been affiliated with Garland, US Range, Viking, and DCS. Interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surjit Kalsi

• veech
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like Therma-Tek is down-sizing as a section of their manufacturing facility (115 Rotary Drive) has recently been put up for lease:

http://www.hazletoncando.com/Featured-Properties/

• sandy808
    12 years ago

It's unfortunate but many businesses have had to downsize these days but in many cases allows the business to keep going. I like to see the U.S.A. ones succeed.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Well, we don't really know the story behind this info. It could be downsizing. Or it could be subleasing excess floor space. Or maybe they don't even own the property and are leasing themselves. In which case they might have had an option on the space and turned it down. Or the space was never occupied by them in the first place but by another tenant which had to vacate for whatever reason. It's all speculative and serves no purpose without facts.

I can say this because my company is in the same boat. We sublease warehouse space which is subdivided and shared with another tenant not affiliated with us. That space has changed hands at least once in the last five years and it had nothing to do with us. Although we did consider expanding into that space, the economy directed us not to.

We also sublease a large amount of office space in a highrise in the city at very favorable rents. When the economy was good, we actually moved some people out of that space to a cheaper space so that we could sublet that space out and capture some income.

That's just how things go.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

jscout you're right. We don't know the story. However, downsizing isn't a flaw or something "bad" about a company and it wasn't my intention to imply that at all. To me "downsizing" isn't a negative but a positive. Making smart financial decisions says to me that the company is being run the way it should be, and adapting to the times.

• jscout
    12 years ago

sandy, I didn't opine whether downsizing was good or bad either. What I wanted to offer was a perspective on veech's post which stated downsizing, when that may not even be the case at all.

• veech
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone know if Therma-tek is still in business?

• jscout
    12 years ago

Why don't you try calling them and report back?

• TonySak
    12 years ago

that was the most annoying video ever.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

@tonysak

Hummmm...a one man band. But seriously, it leads to a question, at least for me, what happens to Capital when he is no longer around? He is in mid eighties, isn't he? He is Capital.

I am NOT knocking the CC product or saying any other range is better. I am considering a CC and a BS. Pros/Cons to both.

M

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Michelle... Surjit has son"s in the business to take over when the time comes, it's actually the same as BS who is also owned by and elderly gentleman mid 70s at a guess who has sons in the back ground.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Trevor

I read the below a few days ago while doing additional research. Came across another Kalsi who used to be at Capital - Surya. Are they one and the same or two Kalsi family departures?

Richard Kalsi's Announcement of his Resignation:
    I am pleased to inform you that effective October 10th, I am resigning
    from Capital, the company I helped found and carried on my back and
    shoulders for the past 7-1/2 years. I wish I could say it was due to the
    current economic situation, but it's not. I have truly enjoyed working
    with everyone in this industry, created some exciting products like the
    Performance BBQ's and Precision Ranges, made some great friends, met some
    wonderfully talented people, and I will cherish these memories and great
    moments for a lifetime.

The reasons for my departure relate to philosophical differences in terms
    of the direction to lead the company. Unfortunately my creative vision is
    not shared by others in my company. I have always placed people above
    profits, always believed in marketing through exceptional imagery, believed
    in innovation and research and development to bring the best products to
    the market to secure long term growth. This is my father's philosophy as
    well. I have always created visionary products, with a robustness of
    features and styles that have successfully "wowed" consumers, believing in
    my heart and mind that the two values of innovation and marketing are what
    differentiates companies from one another, but without a successful
    manufacturing team, it makes it a little difficult to execute that vision. Unfortunately
    there are some in my camp who do not share this belief. So,
    I have no choice but to quietly, take my bow, and let others take Capital to
    its logical conclusion. My father will stay on as Chairman and CEO. A new president
    has not been named.
    All My Best To You and your team and to the many fine people in your
    organization.

Sincerely,

Rich Kalsi
    Ex-President/CEO of Capital

Thanks for pointing out that BS may have the same situation with an elderly CEO/Pres.

M

• PRO
    12 years ago

Not sure who Surya is, I think Surjit has 4 son's again not to sure. As for Rich Kalsi he left maybe 3 years ago, clearly not by choice as the letter reflects, He is now in further education in CA, the letter went to all deals.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Wasn't Mike Trapp named President of BS in 2011? From his bio, he doesn't sound like an eldery man. Is he one of the sons?

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Surya Kalsi

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/surya-kalsi/a/84b/592

I guess one and the same.

M

• PRO
    12 years ago

Mike Trapp is a really nice man, you can trust him in my opinion, but he is not related to the owner of Bluestar in anyway.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Personally I don't trust the kalsi family's business practises at all. There are too many sales of assetts, undermining agreements, and resignations, and just in general things that don't quite add up.

First of all the sale of dcs had a typical anti competition clause in it, which surjit undermined by having his son(s) open capital. Then his son all sudden resignes for reasons that I can not understand considering that his successor (surjit) apparently had the same vision he had. Isn't the reason he resigned because his vision was out of sync with other principals in the business?!? When did surjit become president? I thought the letter said a president will be picked. Gee, you mean surjit was picked? Wow, I find that surprising. My money would have been lost if I was betting on that one!!! (I hope the sarcasm is read into that). I find the resignation letter extremely confusing, not to mention not very professional. He starts his letter off saying "he is pleased to announce"....pleased to announce what?!? That he is resigning? That he is leaving because he doesn't see eye to eye with the other principals of the business? Wouldn't it be a regret that you are leaving? It s the most poorly written resignation letter that I have ever witnessed.

Some other things the kalsi's throw around don't sound kosher to me either. I think it was in the video of surjits induction to the hall of fame where he mentioned that his business venture when he left the united states to go back to india, failed because of the 1973 oil crisis. What I don't understand is how a product that runs on natural gas or propane is so negatively effected by a petroleum oil crissis? Did his products run on petro based fuel? Even if that was the case, the oil crissis was invented and executed by arab oil producing nations against the united states and its closest allies. As far as I know india was not greatly effected by an arab oil embargo.

Other reasons I mistrust them is balogna that they spew like "I always put people before profits". Come on?!? Is capital a charitable organization? Profit for ANY company is the sole reason the company exists. And then surjits line "customers are his boss". But when a customer rubs him the wrong way he reams him out on a public forum.....last time I checked, doing that to your boss will likely land you at the end of the unemployment line. Sorry, but people lose credibility in my books when they put on airs and make claims that are ridiculous and or impossible.

• jscout
    12 years ago

You know who I distrust even more? The thread crappers who have not-so-hidden agendas and only post about certain companies in an attempt to discourage sales. They're often grasping for straws. It comes in waves, especially when the number of range-research posts increase. Case in point? This thread.

• kist1
    12 years ago

jscout: I agree whole-heartedly with the above statement regarding trevorlawson.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Serious question, kist1. If Trevor sold both BS and CC and continued to do what he used to for BS owners and currently for CC owners, would you still take issue with his favorable if not preferred status within the GW community?

• veech
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's dog-eat-dog in the commercial cooking equipment industry.

Thin, thin profit on each unit. Must move A LOT of ranges or make them chinsy.

A lot of the small companies are on the ropes or death beds, that's why I asked if Therma-Tek was still had a pulse.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

wow wow wow wow. I'm getting whiplash. This is the stuff of soap operas.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

veech
    First registered on July 19,2011.

This thread:
    veech (My Page) on Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 20:26
    Does anyone know if Capital Range (residential ranges) and Therma-Tek Range (commercial ranges) are related?
    There seems to be some commonality about their origins and design.
    ...A lot of the small companies are on the ropes or death beds, that's why I asked if Therma-Tek was still had a pulse.

On thread "Capital Wall Oven DOA"
    Dear Surjit,
    Thanks for the resume, but no one asked.

Jeez, did you invent fire too?

Self-appointed Expert,
    Lesley

On thread, "Ugly nameplates on the Culinarian"
    Posted by veech (My Page) on Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 19:44
    Zartemis, you're right. That fit and finish looks like a dog's breakfast.
    But it's been said that the fit and finish on the Culinarian are second-to-none so I suspect you Photoshopped that picture.

Also, the open seam and exposed fasteners on that spoiler-thingy are lame.

On thread "oven rotisseries" (about the CC)
    The above is absolutely hilarious!
    (relating to sorta crazy irrelevant post immediately above)

All I can find on GW.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

curiouser and curiouser! Is Mr Veech a plant of some sort? (vegetable? mineral? bigger than a bread box?)

• swaneel
    11 years ago

Just thumbing around GW and pleasantly came across this thread purely by chance. Hopefully, I can put all of this to bed. Some of you may know me by my user name and those of you who do, will know my association with the aforementioned companies.
    Yes, both CC and T-Tek are related, solely by the fact that Surjit is the Chairman of both companies. Other than that, there is no association b/w the two companies from a business standpoint. CC is based in California; while T-Tek is a Pennsylvania company. Finally, both CC and T-Tek are alive, well, healthy and growing each year. We appreciate the concern and support of the community and promise to continue providing the best quality food-service and residential products that money can buy; with service second to none.